Thread: How to control heat in roof garden?

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: How to control heat in roof garden?

Hi all,

Anyone got any tips on how I could control the heat in this weather as my readings keep going 30+. Ive got plenty of intake/outtake air passing through the room, with 2 fans going as well, but in this heat its just not cutting it. Ive turned of a light which helps but still 30°+ and I'd prefer to not sandwich the plants together hogging light.

Has anyone had and overcome this issue before in a loft?

Portable aircon? What type? Or some other clever solution?

I know this might be a bit out there, and I'm probably going to get known as the crazy inventor or something lol, but I was thinking, if there is no solution, of somehow pumping ice cold water round the top of the room using 22mm speedfit and pumping water from another reservoir. The only thing here is how to make the water ice cold? I dont suppose there is an element that exists that makes water cold? (And the element would need a thermostat)
    Kinda like a kettle element that gets hot to heat water, but does the opposite and makes water (or whatever) cold.
    Im sure there must be a way, instructables.com is a good place for this kind of stuff but not tried there yet. Next time I will build something in the walls during constriction to address this issue.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing lol.

Thanks
    Last edited by THCBrova; 31-05-18 at 12:43 AM.

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Brovashift View Post
    Hi all,

Anyone got any tips on how I could control the heat in this weather as my readings keep going 30+. Ive got plenty of intake/outtake air passing through the room, with 2 fans going as well, but in this heat its just not cutting it. Ive turned of a light which helps but still 30°+ and I'd prefer to not sandwich the plants together hogging light.

I know this might be a bit out there, and I'm probably going to get known as the crazy inventor or something lol, but I was thinking, if there is no solution, of somehow pumping ice cold water round the top of the room using 22mm speedfit and pumping water from another reservoir. The only thing here is how to make the water ice cold? I dont suppose there is an element that exists that makes water cold? (And the element would need a thermostat)
    Kinda like a kettle element that gets hot to heat water, but does the opposite and makes water (or whatever) cold.
    Im sure there must be a way, instructables.com is a good place for this kind of stuff but not tried there yet. Next time I will build something in the walls during constriction to address this issue.

Thanks
    Aquarium water chiller such as hailea bring water temps down to around 4c, principal of your idea seems ok be good to see how effective it would be, you would only need an aquarium pump to circulate the water from a res

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times
    Provided Answers: 29

6ft vertical radiator attached to a small box containing a load of back and forth 15mm copper pipe to create some form of small evaporator rad, fan blowing on that to condense heat from water, drip tray or bucket to catch run off, small inline pump connected to maintain flow within radiator, job done, home made air con

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18), THCBrova (31-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brovashift View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Aquarium water chiller such as hailea bring water temps down to around 4c, principal of your idea seems ok be good to see how effective it would be, you would only need an aquarium pump to circulate the water from a res

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Percie For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18), THCBrova (31-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    6ft vertical radiator attached to a small box containing a load of back and forth 15mm copper pipe to create some form of small evaporator rad, fan blowing on that to condense heat from water, drip tray or bucket to catch run off, small inline pump connected to maintain flow within radiator, job done, home made air con
    I like the sound of this, but is a bit complicated for me so I showed it to my plumber mate, but he said he doesn't know anything about AC.
    Is there some kind of tutorial somewhere that could help me get my head round it?
    I dont understand what the 15mm back n forth is all about. What is it doing and would I make this myself?

Thanks for your help though

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

AND (31-05-18), GEORGE (31-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percie View Post

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    This seems much simpler and a long the lines I was thinking. Thanks
    Its just finding a way to make it thermostaticly controlled. Via the pump power plug/socket maybe?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18)

Thanks

Just a matrix of copper pipe about 300mm in width and bent back and forth so the water has a large area for fan to blow on, like a car radiator in a box connected to a house rad

Chiller, as suggested above would probably work better, wasn't aware these existed but you would need a large area of pipework for it to work effectively

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18)

Thanks

I found this on instructables, the copper pipe round a fan... looks pretty good, and not too expensive. Might try this round one of my 24" fans.

https://youtu.be/5NuvzWaBulw

But 'holy shit'... those aquarium water chillers are not cheap!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18)

Thanks

Thats the kind of thing I was meaning but more with the copper in front of the fan so it blows onto it as opposed to through it, more effective

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18)

Thanks

What about these portable aircons? Does anyone know of a reason not to use something like that?

I know those ones with an ionizer are probably no good because even I struggle to breathe with one of them in a room!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-05-18)