Thread: Watering system

Thanks

Talking Watering system

okay so bare with me while I figure out what im trying to figure out!

I want to add a sort of automatic watering system to my space. So far i've come up with the idea of sitting my water butt on a table above pot height, and having a single hose pipe leading to 4 outlets so I could just turn the tap on the bottom of the butt and watch it drain 25 litres of water, safe in the knowledge that each pots getting an equal amount of bits and bobs. I'm gonna have 2 rows of pots, and would rather have one single hose with 4 ends going along each wall to cover 8 pots, rather than one in the middle of the two rows with 8 outlets - purely to avoid clutter/keep everything attached to the walls, theres gonna be very little space for manouvering round the outside so i want access via the middle if needs be, the less clutter the better.

So i'd need a hose pipe with 4 outlets attached to each wall. Then I could just hook each hose up to the tap one at a time, watch 25 litres drain from the barrell and turn the tap off. Easy watering! I'm concerned about the fact that one will have to be longer as its on the opposite wall to the water butt - would this affect the delivery of water? Would each of the 4 outlet pipes deliver an equal amount of water, or would the closest pipe to the butt output a higher volume of water with pressure reducing the further away you get - thus severely overwatering the front pot and underwatering the last pot? Does the length of each outlet pipe affect water pressure, or the distance they are apart from each other? A quick lesson in how water moves through pipes is required basically!

Is there anything else i'm not thinking of? I can't be the first person to have thought of doing this but I cant see anything else about it on here!

Thanks to anyone this makes sense to!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenfairy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-18), Valentina (04-06-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,803 Times

Might aswell go full hydro if your going to that much bother.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthgrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-18)

Thanks

I wish I had the money to spare to do that at the minute. This is a sort of low cost solution for now! As far as bother goes its sticking a few nozzles on some hosepipes and nailing it to a wall, if the theory is sound!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to greenfairy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-18)

Thanks

Aaaaand i've done more reading and realised that i've just invented irrigation somehow as if its something new. Apparently the egyptians beat me to it a few years ago and this is a commercially available product for next to nothing and im just a fool!

I blame the weed!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenfairy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-18), WhIpLaSh (04-06-18)