Thread: Ready to move on from "novice."

Thanks

Default Ready to move on from "novice."

I have a few grows under my belt now but I still feel very much new and I'm always learning something. As much as I've tried I still can't get solid answers on a few outstanding questions I feel would help me get better yields and grow better, healthier plants.

Even though I haven't been active here in awhile (and there are a lot of different names since back then) I tend to trust the advice I get on here and figured I'd see you all's thoughts on my questions.

(I use Fox Farms Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom nutrients and I've basically been following their feeding schedule.)

1. Feeding new plants - When should I start feeding a fresh seedling or a clone? I've read a lot of different time frames. I currently start feeding my clones and seedlings about 2-3 weeks after they sprout/root.

2. Water/feed cycle - I have always watered/fed every 3 days. I'll water first then in 3 days I'll feed then 3 days I'll water...etc. I water until I get about 10-20% runoff. I've seen some others who feed much more though (often multiple times a day and week). Is it necessary to follow the cycle I follow? Can I just feed every 3 days instead of water? For my conditions watering/feeding any closer to 3 days apart leaves them over watered. Would it be better to water/feed less (using a smaller amount of liquid each time) and water/feed more frequently, say every 2 days instead of 3?

3. Flushing - I assume in general that the length of the flush depends on the amount of feeding which has been done. But, when should I start flushing? For instance, my current plants say they have a 56 day flowering period. Assuming the trichromes are ready on day 56 (I usually aim for a higher amber ratio, I'm a couchlock kind of guy), is that when I should start the flush? Should I start when they have a smaller ratio and let them continue to mature through the flush? I figure if I wait until they are 50% amber and start flushing, they will be 60-75% amber when I do harvest. Should I start the flush at say 25% amber?

My previous grows really came undone in the flushing/curing stages. I had heat issues and had to pull them without giving them a real proper flush and I'm sure I left more nutrients than would be desired in the plants. Then, like a dumb pot head I would burp the jars and then get high and forget they were open (lol). This caused the buds to dry out too quickly. In the end it was all a good high, but it tasted and smelled like....honestly I'm not sure what...but it wasn't nice at all. Flushing is still something I'm not 100% on. Curing I think I have down, I just have to pay better attention to what I'm doing and remember the jars are open. I'm using LED lights now and heat hasn't been a concern at all, but I think either between the lights or the feeding I've gotten smaller buds than on my previous plants under HPS (and using nutrients which aren't as "good" as FF).

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Locco For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-06-18)