Thread: Harvesting/curing advice please...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Exclamation Harvesting/curing advice please...

So, harvest time is finally upon me.
    Read so much on this and didn't do it properly the last time.
    Chopping/trimming etc...no probs.
    Brown bag or hanging?
    What are the ideal conditions for drying before curing in jars?
    Temps? and humidity? Dark/light?
    No offence, but if someone with guaranteed knowledge on this could tell me it would be greatly appreciated.
    The ladies get the chop on thurs, goin to Amsterdam on Fri avo til Mon morning, hence the need for guaranteed advice!
    Thank you very much in advance....
    The Lost Soul.

Thanks

Hi mate, I'm pretty much in the same place as you are, I've never harvested a plant before though.

However I know how drying and curing works as I worked for a Havana cigar merchant/tobacconist for over a year. All the information can be found here and elsewhere online.

Cut down your crop and hang them upside down by the stalks. The drying room or box should be dark and dry. Relative humidity (RH) 60-65% and temperature 70-80F (nothing extreme).

Those figures are a guide however, but as long as you can judge that it's not humid in there nor TOO dry (you want them to dry slowly and steadily) it'll be fine.

The most important thing, especially as you're going away, will be to keep a small fan on the go to circulate the air (not blowing directly onto the buds). This will help to avoid mould developing as well as generally help the drying process.

It depends on how large and dense your buds are, but it should take a week or so until the stalks can be easily snapped and the buds feel slightly crisp on the outside. Then you snip the buds from the stalks and place in airsealed jars in the dark for as long as you want (the longer the better) to cure them. Open the jars a couple of times a day for 15-20mins to allow excess moisture out.
    Excuse me while I light my spliff

FZjb Guest

my last cure was done in a 2 huge cardboard boxes with holes punched all over with a screwdriver and string strung across the top. i put the boxes in the corner of the bedroom where it was dry and safe

my temps around 18-20

humidity was 50-60

dried in around 7-10 days enough to jar.

I`ll do this all the time now as it was perfect for me

Thanks

Taro and Fazedjb: Thanks for that much appreciated. Soon as they're chopped and hung i'll post you some pics up.
    Cheers.

Thanks

No probs dude. Unlike growing, the harvesting and drying part is pretty standard, it just takes time and patience and a little common sense with the temps and RH etc. Nothing to worry about really.

Look foreward to seeing your rewards, and enjoy the 'Dam!

Thanks

Cheers matey.
    4th time this yr to the Dam, can't fuckin wait ma'man!
    I'll smoke a big bifter of the finest for ya!