Thread: Making oil

Thanks

Default Making oil

I need help, my plant (ak47 supercbd) is near harvest.

I want to make oil but certain parts of the process make it hard or impossible for me to do it.

The double boiling the alcohol for hours and decarbing in the oven (smell) is a problem because i have 2 small children.

Is there any way to make an oil/tincture easily without these problems preferably without drying or curing.

I like the alcohol method its just i cannot boil it for that long.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie77 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

I also hate the smell when decarbing,what I did was buy a mini oven from Argos for about £20 and did it in the groom with a carbon filter running,I’ve also boiled the alcohol off in there to,I wouldn’t recommend that though unless you have a massive extraction and intake.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson123 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-18), M_C (12-07-18), Newbie77 (11-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Drying and curing would normally be necessary but I suppose no real serious harm in trying to do this whilst it's been freshly chopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson123 View Post
    I also hate the smell when decarbing,what I did was buy a mini oven from Argos for about £20 and did it in the groom with a carbon filter running,I’ve also boiled the alcohol off in there to,I wouldn’t recommend that though unless you have a massive extraction and intake.
    I make an infused oil on a small scale:

Break up dried bud, add extra virgin olive oil to JUST over the top of the plant matter in a casserole or oven safe dish, one that is appropriate in size to the amount bud you have. Put in a pan of water without water getting into it. Select a pan that has a pyrex lid. Turn on cooker to apply heat. Use a meat thermometer to gauge temperature.

Decarboxylation happens from 90 degrees C, though extremely slowly. 110 degrees C seems to be what people go for, but that requires equipment that I do not have.

Watch the water temps and adjust cooker so temperature stablise at boiling point without excess bubbling in the water. I do that for anywhere from 110 mins for stronger bud, to 3 hours for bad harvests. The oil covers the plant matter so there is very minimal smell.

Coconut oil gets smokey and stinks up the place, so I prefer to use olive oil.

Make garlic bread or cook curry when you make oil may work to disguise the very minimal nutty smell.

This is not a concentrated oil, so please do adjust your expectations.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (12-07-18), GEORGE (17-07-18)

Bomber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie77 View Post
    I need help, my plant (ak47 supercbd) is near harvest.

I want to make oil but certain parts of the process make it hard or impossible for me to do it.

The double boiling the alcohol for hours and decarbing in the oven (smell) is a problem because i have 2 small children.

Is there any way to make an oil/tincture easily without these problems preferably without drying or curing.

I like the alcohol method its just i cannot boil it for that long.
    It doesn't take that long really. How are you doing it exactly?

If you're in a position that you could buy an "Ardent - Precision Decarboxylator" then get one. I have one and it's brilliant! It 99% smell proof. I decarb the oil in there, not the buds. Just put the oil in a silicon cake mould. If you can’t get one, put the weed in a roasting bag, that helps but it still stinks

If you want to make a tincture, use SPIRYTUS but you need to decarb one way or another

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Drying and curing would normally be necessary but I suppose no real serious harm in trying to do this whilst it's been freshly chopped.

I make an infused oil on a small scale:

Break up dried bud, add extra virgin olive oil to JUST over the top of the plant matter in a casserole or oven safe dish, one that is appropriate in size to the amount bud you have. Put in a pan of water without water getting into it. Select a pan that has a pyrex lid. Turn on cooker to apply heat. Use a meat thermometer to gauge temperature.

Decarboxylation happens from 90 degrees C, though extremely slowly. 110 degrees C seems to be what people go for, but that requires equipment that I do not have.

Watch the water temps and adjust cooker so temperature stablise at boiling point without excess bubbling in the water. I do that for anywhere from 110 mins for stronger bud, to 3 hours for bad harvests. The oil covers the plant matter so there is very minimal smell.

Coconut oil gets smokey and stinks up the place, so I prefer to use olive oil.

Make garlic bread or cook curry when you make oil may work to disguise the very minimal nutty smell.

This is not a concentrated oil, so please do adjust your expectations.
    Just use oil in the double boiler instead of water. You'll hit 110c then

What do you do with the flower mush?
    Last edited by Bomber; 12-07-18 at 07:34 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bomber For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-18), M_C (12-07-18)

Bomber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Benson123 View Post
    I’ve done this a few times. Just watch out for temp fluctuations. I had one that would randomly go up by 20c. I got it exchanged but the next one was the same so I ditched that idea...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bomber For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    I’ve done this a few times. Just watch out for temp fluctuations. I had one that would randomly go up by 20c. I got it exchanged but the next one was the same so I ditched that idea...
    Mine does the same but if I leave it to find a temperature for half hour it levels out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson123 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Just use oil in the double boiler instead of water. You'll hit 110c then

What do you do with the flower mush?
    Yeah, but with the small volume of buds I have, even a milk pan is too big. I make about 60 ml oil per run. Any more diluted and it becomes, I guess, micro-dosing?? Not detectable, basically.

I cap the flower mush into gel capsules and take them. Waste not want not. What is left in the container is mopped up with haribos before it goes into the kitchen sink for washing up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-18)