Thread: Hello

Thanks

Post Hello

Hi I'm new to forums in general, ive done all my research from general googling and advice from friends until just now. Ive read through loads of posts theres quite a lot to take in quite yet so thought I'd join up properly and invest a bit more learning time here

I'm 27 and from UK and started growing last year (just normal soil), as I like to smoke much more than my budget. I won't lie I'm doing this with budget equipment. I had hoped to use the money I save by growing, to upgrade my equipment, to save more money and so on. I'm not doing too well …

First grow was 2 pineapple chunk, and 2 kiwi skunk. Pineapple was satisfactory (not very good but I was alright smoking it) but didn't get much of it and the Kiwi was crap. I'd cloned the pineapple chunk and grew 2 more of those, turned out the same plain standard, but with barely anything there. I've only had a 250w bulb, am I right in thinking that's a massive part of the problem? I am using biobloom for flowering during flowering, but have nothing for veg. Another massive problem?

I've currently got 3 blue cheese in veg, and lost 1 laughing buddha before it had 3 sets of leaves. They are kept on the loft windowsill during seedling, moved under a fish tank bulb till they have about 7/8 sets of leaves, then put under my MH 250w for veg 20/4...When flowering they are switched to 250w HPS bulb. I invested what I had in lighting, a carbon filter and building a hidden cupboard in my loft. The carbon filter was budget (£50ish) and isn't really paying off.

So that's me and the boat I'm in, haven't managed to save much, still having to buy. I'd appreciate some advice on whatever blatant mistakes I'm making, and also and tips and cheats for budget growing? Not sure if I've provided enough/too much info here but I've tried lol. Thanks in Advance.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to purplepineapple For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (18-07-18), G' (18-07-18), Ironman (18-07-18), MonsterEnergy (18-07-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times

some will say your 250w bulb is just fine but really for flower you want atleast a 400w for a nice solid bud structure at the end,
    sounds harsh also but budget lighting = budget smoke,

you want a good light 'the best u can get' same for air movement and extraction,
    can always save money on medium/feeds

2nd hand stuff comes up all the time nice and cheap on auctioning sites

welcome to thctalk

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (18-07-18), G' (18-07-18), M_C (18-07-18), purplepineapple (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Welcome to the talk brother i agree M E budget lighting or budget growing will get you budget smoke, the best thing for you to do is get your post count up to 10 and start up a diary in the newbie corner of the grow diary section and get some photo's up and in the meantime try and save for a 400W or 600W HPS for flowering, if you get a diary up and running you will get loads of advice and suggestions brother, all the best matey, good luck G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (18-07-18), purplepineapple (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Welcome to the forum, dude!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

G' (18-07-18), purplepineapple (18-07-18)

Macky Guest

Getting started can be expensive mate, get the best you can, and upgrade once you’re smoking your own and not buying it.

They way I see it, without my set up, I wouldn’t have good weed, I smoke over an oz a week, expensive to buy! A good portion of the money I’ve saved buy not buying, have been reinvested into my setup, you just have to do the same. I started many years ago in a 60cm grow tent under 250 bulbs, now I’ve got 2 tents, cmh, hps, mh, and led lighting, pukka fans, pukka extraction, the best foods, the best mediums. Start small, but keep upgrading as you go.

Welcome to the talk, and good luck with the grow

Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (18-07-18), Herbitual (18-07-18), purplepineapple (18-07-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes all! I'm glad I joined, sound advice ...

So based on what u guys say, I'll aim to get a 600w light in time for my blue cheese to go into flowering (400w min failing that). Then I'll move on to upgrading my fans. I do need to grow a good quality bud if it's realistically going to replace buying. I'll start checking the 2nd hand auctions asap, but will they produce a lower quality of light? Just so I can bare it in mind. I'm really not happy with budget bud!

Yeh I'll look forward to starting a diary, and hopefully have a nosey on some other people's diaries if I can. Only a couple people know about my grow so I really appreciate theres a few heads here I can open my mouth to and learn from. Buzzing to hear there is success to be had in the 'gradually upgrading' approach, I'll soon unlock it .

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it all... so glad I joined with you useful folk!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to purplepineapple For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,097 Times

Welcome along. How much do you smoke?

I try and aim for getting the most out of a little space and light.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben.g For This Useful Post:

purplepineapple (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

Always think a minimum of 100w per plant, anything less will give poor results
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi thanks . I'm content enough on just over 1/2oz a week, so ideally I'm hoping to learn to harvest 8oz every 4 months give or take a month? I'm finding myself far from my target right now though, with the small cupboard (i'll have to measure it) and the 250w light. I'm about to nosey at your diary to see how u get the most out of space and light.

- oh and 100w per plant I'll remember that rule thank you, I've been 200w short.
    Last edited by purplepineapple; 18-07-18 at 01:32 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purplepineapple For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (18-07-18), G' (18-07-18)