Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: light cycle question

Thanks

Default light cycle question

So i have a question to see if anyone has given this a go before, i remember reading about a guy doing in 18 hour days years ago but cant seem to find much about it now

so here goes, in a room why do we run 24 hour days (be it 24/0 or 20/4 or 18/6 then flowering on 12/12) what would happen if i started seeds off with say a 12 hour day thinking 10 on 2 off then flower under 6/6

I remember reading about a guy running 18 hour days, pretty sure he was going 16 on 2 off then to flower he was running 9/9 then dropping back to 8 on 10 off, from memory his yields were down a little over a normal 24 hour cycle but running 18 hours every 3 real world days is 4 artificial days in the tent, so if you flower in 56 days normally you could in theory flower in 42 real world days which is still 56 artificial 18 hour days in the tent.

does anyone have any experience in this or any ideas on how to find something (or can even make sense of what im saying), every search i do comes up with light cycles but its all still based of a 24 hour day

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elstono For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

You lost me buddy. lol

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

First I've heard of it.

I get what you're saying but whether it will work or not, no clue

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18)

Macky Guest

For hundreds of thousands of years, plants have grown under 24 hour day. For photoperiodic strains to flower, they need to build a specific hormone inside them selves, that needs to reach the correct level for flowers to start forming. This is why is takes a few days maybe a week under 12/12 to see flowers first form, the hormones are building. If it doesn’t get a long period of 12 hours darkness, that hormone doesn’t reach the right level, and flowers will not form.

So, I think reducing the hours in the day will do nothing, keep it on 24, you have to think, this is a massive reduction is electrical cost and time of crop if it works..... if it worked, everyone would be doing it

Sent from: Me, to space, and then to you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

i keep it simple coz hu can be assed like lol. veg 18-6, 20-4 or even 24-0, flower pretty basic 12 -12, have done 11 off 13 on to with not much diff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,482 Times

I...cant wrap my brain around this..

I will say, we use 24 hour days because ...well..thats how long it takes to revolve around the sun Plants have evolved over billions of years to utilise 24 periods of light and dark. I dont really see the benefit of 12 hour days or whatever. Surely the plants are just getting less light? And the lights will be going on and off twice a day rather than once. Just seems unnecessary, over complicated and confusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priapus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IneptAphid View Post

I will say, we use 24 hour days because ...well..thats how long it takes to revolve around the sun Plants have evolved over billions of years to utilise 24 periods of light and dark. I dont really see the benefit of 12 hour days or whatever. Surely the plants are just getting less light? And the lights will be going on and off twice a day rather than once. Just seems unnecessary, over complicated and confusing.
    24 hours is the earth rotating till the same point is facing the sun, ( solar day not sidereal) 365 and quarter is what is takes for the earth to rotate the sun lol

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18), joker_the_smoker (18-07-18), Priapus (18-07-18)

Macky Guest

Default light cycle question

Quote Originally Posted by IneptAphid View Post

I will say, we use 24 hour days because ...well..thats how long it takes to revolve around the sun 😀 Plants have evolved over billions of years to utilise 24 periods of light and dark. I dont really see the benefit of 12 hour days or whatever. Surely the plants are just getting less light? And the lights will be going on and off twice a day rather than once. Just seems unnecessary, over complicated and confusing.
    Oh, and plant life has only been around for about 450 million years, maximum 😉 ganja only a couple of million maximum, and that’s not a strain we would recognise

Scienceing like fuck this morning lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18), Priapus (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,482 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Oh, and plant life has only been around for about 450 million years, maximum �� ganja only a couple of million maximum, and that’s not a strain we would recognise

Scienceing like fuck this morning lol

Ah shut up professor macky! But yes...I am too stoned this morning. Got my mind on my NCT test thats in an hour. (Its the same as the UK MOT test..)Obviously we dont rotate around the sun in 24 hours

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priapus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    24 hours is the earth rotating till the same point is facing the sun, ( solar day not sidereal) 365 and quarter is what is takes for the earth to rotate the sun lol

f3eckkk me laaaaaaaa to early for this shit lmaooooooo

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-07-18), Priapus (18-07-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast