Thread: No AC? Idea for too small grow areas without AC

Thanks

Default No AC? Idea for too small grow areas without AC

I've seen the odd post where some have problems with heat in their tents or other small areas and I had a thought that may help.

When it gets too hot in the room I watch TV in I have a large floor fan running pointed at ceiling with a basin of water filled with Ice packs.
    This setup alone introduces a cooler air around the room when there's no air at all = slightly better room to sit in.

Some go further and construct a box cooler into an AC unit that uses the same as I do (Fan + Ice and water) and it lasts a little longer due to ice being housed in an insulated box instead of an open basin.

here's a vid of one:
    Damn, can't post links either so just youtube search this instead you'll see what I'm taking about:

"Homemade air conditioner DIY - Awesome Air Cooler! - EASY Instructions - can be solar powered!"

This would be an ideal way to lower heat levels in grow areas of a small to med size.
    Use it outside your Tent or grow box and let the intake fan suck it in for the outside room.

Too cold - position it further away from intake.
    Too Hot - stick it at the intake.
    still way too Hot - Stick a hose from the box into the grow area and have a fan spread the cool around.

What do you experts think?

Gargo.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gargonaught For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (12-08-18), Gaz (12-08-18), hotshot (12-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,298 Times in 3,729 Posts

While in theory this will cool, the effect would be negligible by the time it meets the 500 to 1500 BTUs of heat per hour that lights can give off

In refrigeration, there is a well known theory that 12000BTU per hour requires 1 ton of equipment

Good extraction with ambient temperatures not too high will help you remove far more heat

🔆🔆http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070817743

Gardro's coco grow mentored by joker the smoker

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

AND (12-08-18), Gargonaught (12-08-18), Gaz (12-08-18), hotshot (12-08-18)

Thanks

That's why I specified small grow areas.

I'm talking "poor mans grow", as I am a poor man so I think in poor mans terms.

From what I have seen there are alot more folks with money to spare for things like AC units and the power to run them as well as the extreme lights that give off so much heat it's like standing beside a sun.

So while my Poor man thinking is like this - It's hot = Basin of water with ice under a floor fan cause I can't afford AC units.

An adept fancy grower will have all all the fancy equipment including vary flow temperature machines with scientific data charts with chemical flow stats etc etc.

All i'm about is for the grow that requires nothing but what you can source for pennies or free.

So saying, small area without a star as a light.

It just can't be that much science to grow a plant....seriously. Since my grow is personal use and not selling anywhere the yield may not be that high but it'll be cheap by a long shot if I get it to harvest time.

The Poor Man Gargo.
    Last edited by Gargonaught; 12-08-18 at 07:06 PM. Reason: to add in fancy ;)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gargonaught For This Useful Post:

gardro (12-08-18), Gaz (12-08-18), hotshot (12-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gargonaught View Post
    That's why I specified small grow areas.

I'm talking "poor mans grow", as I am a poor man so I think in poor mans terms.

From what I have seen there are alot more folks with money to spare for things like AC units and the power to run them as well as the extreme lights that give off so much heat it's like standing beside a sun.

So while my Poor man thinking is like this - It's hot = Basin of water with ice under a floor fan cause I can't afford AC units.

An adept grower will have all all the fancy equipment including vary flow temperature machines with scientific data charts with chemical flow stats etc etc.

All i'm about is for the grow that requires nothing but what you can source for pennies or free.

So saying, small area without a star as a light.

It just can't be that much science to grow a plant....seriously. Since my grow is personal use and not selling anywhere the yield may not be that high but it'll be cheap by a long shot if I get it to harvest time.

The Poor Man Gargo.
    Even a 100w led light gives off over 150BTU per hour. That heat would build up

Most of us, the vast majority don't use AC. A relatively cheap fan will do what you need for a small grow space. If the outside temperature is 25C or less, fans work great.

Do you have any initial plans for your grow? If you start a diary we can guide you along

🔆🔆http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070817743

Gardro's coco grow mentored by joker the smoker

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Gargonaught (12-08-18), Gaz (12-08-18), hotshot (12-08-18)

Thanks

At the moment my 2 plants are a little over 2 weeks old, not bug enough to transplant into larger pot yet.

I planted them in a mix of third dried+sieved bag compost, third coconut core stuff, and third vermiculite.
    I have them under 1 led panel, a cheap 20euro one, seems to be doing the job ok.
    Have 2 small 40mm pc fans blowing over them for air flow. will get a larger one when they get to larger size.

I may use liquid compost for food, but I'm also thinking of using banana skins egg shells and grass cuttings and making a kind of liquid feed out of them.

no mater how i do it, whether with what I can find for cheap or using chems it's all a bit different and new for me growing anything at all.

TBH, i'm amazed my plant are still alive, normally I avoid gardening anything

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gargonaught For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good to see youre keen and already started

Your mix is 2/3 non compost so will need hydroponic nutrients. Im no expert with this kind of mixed medium. I would recommend when you pot up going for a soil or coco substrate

Have a look at the newbie diaries in the diary section and the stickys which will begin to get you informed on the basics

That light is fine for the first couple of weeks but will hold you back soon. You will need a ball park figure of 100w per plant to finish

When you've had a good read, start your own diary thread so youre in just one place and you will get loads of help

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Gargonaught (12-08-18), Gaz (12-08-18), hotshot (12-08-18)

Thanks

The mix I have is just for the small pots i started them in, the larger ones will have more composted soil.
    Not sure on the mix for it yet but I've been reading as much as I can make sense of, when it gets into nutrient balances, ph and all that it starts to turn me off.

Too much information all at once is a curse, this is the main reason i decided to go as little as possible in equipment but still grow something, if I can.

I think i may have even over stepped by doing 2 plants but i germ's the 2 seeds in case one didn't open and they both opened so now I've got 2 to mind lol

I have 2 cfl lights that I can add to the box for more light if needed and if it's not enough I'll see if I can get another cheapo led panel like the one I have.

You can be sure I'll be reading over stuff and rereading things as my memory isn't what it used to be

Note: When I can I'll attempt a diary too.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gargonaught; 12-08-18 at 08:26 PM. Reason: to add a note

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gargonaught For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Id recommend a full compost grow then. Add upto 20% perlite

BandQ verve is well respected here and it cheap

Plant magic old timers grow and bloom nutrients seem to be popular too

No ph to worry about

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Gargonaught (12-08-18), Gaz (12-08-18), hotshot (13-08-18)

Thanks

I'll have a look at those then, thanks for the suggestions

Gargo.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gargonaught For This Useful Post:

hotshot (13-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,804 Times in 993 Posts

I had a 250w hps in an "unventilated" waredrobe thinking id be grand 😂

While all those methods work take it from me and dont bother unless its a complete necessity. Ice packs need to be changed 6 hourly. High BTU destroys them. It is beyond a nuisance and youll become fecking obsessed with temps

Id just buy an LED I wish i had from day 1
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wnSkunk For This Useful Post:

gardro (13-08-18), Gargonaught (13-08-18), hotshot (13-08-18)