Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier not winning

Thanks

Default Dehumidifier not winning

Living and growing in central Scotland and my 20 litre dehumidifier is losing its battle to reduce this relentless humidity! With the arrival of the wetter weather we are accustomed to here in Scotland humidity has reached unmanageable levels even with my large sized dehumidifier! As soon we are removing any moisture my fans a drawing in the fresh excessively humid air from outside.

I have read that one way to prevent mould or any spores from incubating is to insure that minimum temps stay above 20C and i’m curious to know if anyone takes this approach of controlling minimum temps and effectively preventing rot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JinkysOars; 14-08-18 at 08:27 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JinkysOars For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18)

Thanks

Stop drawing from outside and just extract outside when wet ? ? I Cant extract outdoors due to flat position , so i have to draw from floor level in the room into my tent , And extract into the hallway towards the bathroom ,

If you are bringing air from outside i hope you are filtering it someware before going into tent ?? Thats just going to bring in nasty stuff like spores bugs ect

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrEnigma For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18), JinkysOars (14-08-18), joker_the_smoker (14-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

same here i draw air from the room the tent is in, so you get a bit of draft sucking through bottom on door but it great for keeping RH down and also winter when its to bitter cold outside

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18), JinkysOars (14-08-18), MrEnigma (14-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrEigma View Post
    Stop drawing from outside and just extract outside when wet ? ? I Cant extract outdoors due to flat position , so i have to draw from floor level in the room into my tent , And extract into the hallway towards the bathroom ,

If you are bringing air from outside i hope you are filtering it someware before going into tent ?? Thats just going to bring in nasty stuff like spores bugs ect
    Yes when I say outside I did in-fact mean from the hallway not the air outside the house! I’ve been monitoring the outdoor / indoor humidity and there’s no escaping this dank air my bigger problem appears to be current overall weather conditions as opposed to transpiration of plants! Extracting air is in effect pulling in fresh moist air so it almost seems futile having the dehumidifier running in tandem with the extraction fan.

Last edited by JinkysOars; 14-08-18 at 09:22 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JinkysOars For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18)

Thanks

what kind of ambient RH you working with? wots it readin in the tent? what size tent /extractor you runnin?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18), JinkysOars (14-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    what kind of ambient RH you working with? wots it readin in the tent? what size tent /extractor you runnin?

We are anywhere from high 60s seen 70+ both outdoor & indoors and effectively that’s the air i’m pulling through grow space! Running dehumidifier constant can bring down to around 50% but at expense of producing excessive heat! Also the unit itself consumes 300W+ in leccy

Last edited by JinkysOars; 14-08-18 at 09:32 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JinkysOars For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JinkysOars View Post

We are anywhere from high 60s seen 70+ both outdoor & indoors and effectively that’s the air i’m pulling through grow space! Running dehumidifier constant can bring down to around 50% but at expense of producing excessive heat! Also the unit itself consumes 300W+ in leccy

what about temps coz raisin them shud drop your rh down to safer levels while runnin it.

i use a 12litre one an if its say 70ish it doesnt really has a problem gettin it down to 55

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18), JinkysOars (14-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    what about temps coz raisin them shud drop your rh down to safer levels while runnin it.

i use a 12litre one an if its say 70ish it doesnt really has a problem gettin it down to 55

Max temps yesterday

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JinkysOars For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JinkysOars View Post

Max temps yesterday

is it just lights off rh you struggling with? if so stick oil rad in there for lights off

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18), Greengrass (14-08-18), JinkysOars (14-08-18)

Thanks

If there’s truth in simply maintaining minimum temps above 20C preventing mould then i’d be buying one of the low wattage tube heaters from Screwfix but not sure i’m not going to be risking losing a crop.

RH is constantly 60+ right now but like I say it appears to be weather as opposed to transpiration from plants that’s my biggest issue.

Last edited by JinkysOars; 14-08-18 at 09:46 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JinkysOars For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-08-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast