Thread: Orchids

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Default Orchids

Potting an orchid up tonight, wondered if itd benefit from some GWS in there? Also is there any tips? I know all the roots dont need covering...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-08-18)

Thanks

What's GWS? What kind of orchid are you re-potting. As an orchid aficionado the media you pot in is important and changes from species to species. Also, orchids like to be fertilized weekly and weakly. It is easy to overfeed an orchid, however, over watering kills more orchids than anything else.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-06-20), Lowrollerbean (06-06-20), M_C (06-06-20)

Thanks

I will second that. Most orchids are epiphytes, and if you put them in regular soil it will kill them.
    They hate wet feet, and as phytoplankton said, they like frequent liquid fert, but only if they drain readily and they can dry out between watering.
    I'm a bit of a collector. Cymbidiums, Dendrobiums, Phaelenopsis, Stanhopeas, Patheopedilums, Oncidiums, so far.
    Some like a rough bark mix, nothing but spaghnum and paperbark for the Stanhopea.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBoomshanka For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-09-20), M_C (05-10-20)

Thanks

What a great mix of orchids! Grown most of them with the exception of Stanhopeas. I can grow cymbidiums outdoors if I bring them in during frosts. I also like Masdevellias. Stanhopea, are those the ones that flower under the plant (hence the spagnum)?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-10-20), TheBoomshanka (04-10-20)

Thanks

Yes, thats them. I have to keep in in one of the igloo's at work over Winter. Once it puts out spikes I bring it home to flower. I will dig up a pic of it flowering last year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBoomshanka For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-10-20)

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190119_092812.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	388944

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190119_092842.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	388945

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBoomshanka For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-10-20), IceCalibur (04-10-20)

Thanks

Fantastic!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-20), TheBoomshanka (09-10-20)

Thanks

The pollination biology of orchids is really interesting, most are pollinized by a single species or group of insects. That's why you almost never get seeds from orchid flowers, a plus is that the flowers will die quickly if pollinated. There is one orchid that produces the pheromone of a female wasp, and the petals of the flowers actually resemble a female wasp, the males hatch about 2 weeks before the females, so the males go in search of females, and try to mate with the orchid flower, and in the process pollinate the flower. Any gratification they get is purely psychological!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-10-20), TheBoomshanka (09-10-20)