Thread: Drying and curing

Thanks

Default Answered: Drying and curing

Just chopped a few will post pics when it's finished, been drying for 2 days at 20ish degrees and 50% humidity, how long should I go for before jarring?

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Madscientist View Post
    Just chopped a few will post pics when it's finished, been drying for 2 days at 20ish degrees and 50% humidity, how long should I go for before jarring?
    How long is a piece of string mate 😉 you have to wait until the stems are snapping, right under the buds, then they can go into jars. Any wetter than that, and you risk the terpenes getting wet again when the moisture seeps back out from the inside of the buds, and if that happens, You’ll lose all flavours and smell. Make sure them stems are snapping clean before they go into jars, anything from seven to 14 days"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madscientist For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-08-18), MonsterEnergy (26-08-18)

Macky Guest

Default Drying and curing

Quote Originally Posted by Madscientist View Post
    How long is a piece of string mate 😉 you have to wait until the stems are snapping, right under the buds, then they can go into jars. Any wetter than that, and you risk the terpenes getting wet again when the moisture seeps back out from the inside of the buds, and if that happens, You’ll lose all flavours and smell. Make sure them stems are snapping clean before they go into jars, anything from seven to 14 days

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Gaz (26-08-18), GEORGE (26-08-18), MonsterEnergy (26-08-18), M_C (26-08-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times
    Provided Answers: 87

it's usually 5-10 days air drying ''depending on bud size''
    they might feel dry on the outside but i bet it's still wet in the center,

don't rush this phase or your smoke will taste like crap

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

Sounds like a great environment for a nice slow dry.
    Macky is dead on with that 7-14 window. The key is not to dry the plants BUT to dry them slowly. 3-4 days and your smoke will be harsh. When the stems snap is a gauge too tell you the plants are about 60-65% and then jarred. I target 65% when jarred and burping daily to reduce to 62% for the final.

Home built rdwc, root farms 2 part feed!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...p%3Ft%3D171166

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-08-18), MonsterEnergy (26-08-18), Priapus (26-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times
    Provided Answers: 105

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 420Rancher View Post
    Sounds like a great environment for a nice slow dry.
    Macky is dead on with that 7-14 window. The key is not to dry the plants BUT to dry them slowly. 3-4 days and your smoke will be harsh. When the stems snap is a gauge too tell you the plants are about 60-65% and then jarred. I target 65% when jarred and burping daily to reduce to 62% for the final.

Home built rdwc, root farms 2 part feed!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...p%3Ft%3D171166
    I have found over the years it is better to dry and cure in Brown Paper bags, than put up into your Jars. JMO

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Gaz (26-08-18), MonsterEnergy (26-08-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    I have found over the years it is better to dry and cure in Brown Paper bags, than put up into your Jars. JMO
    That’s because curing n paper bags doesn’t trap the moisture in like a jar does. It takes a bit longer for the juices to work it way out. When you jar it, the moisture is dispersed evenly through the again, so cures a little better imo. But each to their own. As long as it’s dried right, curing isn’t so much of an issue. It’ll just improve your bud

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Gaz (26-08-18), GEORGE (27-08-18), MonsterEnergy (26-08-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times
    Provided Answers: 87

after 5-7 days airDrying i usually cut my buds from the branches, then use the drying rack/net for another 3-5 days
    i jar em for a day, remove from jars and air dry for 1-2hrs and repeat for 1st week, after that i just pop em a few mins a day

has never went wrong for me, as above if it works for you and your bud burns clean it's all good whatever method used

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-08-18)