Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mk2 grow box

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Bluelab do one but you could undercut them for sure
    Aye its like what 1k for the controller then about 900 for the actual drippers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Done420 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), gardro (07-09-18), HisHighness (09-09-18), hotshot (07-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Bluelab do one but you could undercut them for sure
    Yeh man, biggest cost is the stepper motors. All in a few hundred would cover an 8 channel example for all the parts.

That should be enough for:

Liquid silicon,
    Ph down,
    Grow,
    Bloom,
    Micro,
    2x different Flower boosters

I'm in the middle of designing a load of parts, ducts, valves, brackets etc. Progress has been slow!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

British green (09-09-18), CityDweller (12-10-18), Done420 (09-09-18), gardro (09-09-18), Gaz (09-09-18), hotshot (09-09-18)

Thanks

Some pics of the 3d work I've been doing.

Case for the led drivers, and prototype of the ducting valve. Two of these will allow a recirculating system or normal intake -> exhaust.

The bottom section housing all the mechanics and power will have a good deal of heat, which can be used to warm the air above if needed.

Having it recirculating will also make it much more efficient to cool and maintain humidity...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), Done420 (10-09-18), gardro (13-09-18), hotshot (10-09-18), WhIpLaSh (13-09-18)

Thanks

Still designing ducting, but hooked up some code to the flap controller
    giggidy.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

British green (15-09-18), CityDweller (12-10-18), Done420 (13-09-18), gardro (13-09-18), Herbitual (25-10-18), hotshot (14-09-18), WhIpLaSh (13-09-18)

Thanks

Looking at the layout of some of the LEDs... 3000k and 4000k and the far red LEDs...

Where would you put them?

I got 2 50w full spectrum cobs on the way too.. thinking they can go between the far red in the centre...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), gardro (14-09-18), hotshot (14-09-18)

Thanks

I've done some stuff honest! it doesnt feel like much progress has been made, but this CAD stuff has taken more time than I'd like to admit!

I've been designing alot of the enclosures for the electronics, specced up cables and connectors and started to build into the cupboard.

Spent alot of time playing with the air conditioning system, now that works I fitted the heat exchanger (the black square vent in the bottom of the grow chamber) and all the piping and valves for the flood drain/bubbler hybrid system.

I'm concentrating on the air system right now, the ducting will be pretty much custom so that it is software controlled and is sealed from the external environment. Once its test fit in some of the key areas it should go together quite quick and at least have the air system working - recycling at least!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

British green (20-09-18), CityDweller (20-09-18), Done420 (20-09-18), hotshot (20-09-18), scoobywho (20-09-18), WhIpLaSh (19-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,914 Times in 1,236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighness View Post
    I've done some stuff honest! it doesnt feel like much progress has been made, but this CAD stuff has taken more time than I'd like to admit!

I've been designing alot of the enclosures for the electronics, specced up cables and connectors and started to build into the cupboard.

Spent alot of time playing with the air conditioning system, now that works I fitted the heat exchanger (the black square vent in the bottom of the grow chamber) and all the piping and valves for the flood drain/bubbler hybrid system.

I'm concentrating on the air system right now, the ducting will be pretty much custom so that it is software controlled and is sealed from the external environment. Once its test fit in some of the key areas it should go together quite quick and at least have the air system working - recycling at least!

Why couldn't I be a stoner genius eh? Spend more time pondering the mysteries of what was the first guy who milked a cow really thinking 😣.

This is looking top notch mate bet your smoke will taste even sweeter knowing you built its house from the ground up lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoobywho For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-09-18), Gaz (20-09-18), HisHighness (20-09-18), hotshot (21-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,029 Times in 3,772 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scoobywho View Post
    Spend more time pondering the mysteries of what was the first guy who milked a cow really thinking ��.

Lol ffs thats me not sleeping later thinking about that shit hahahhaha. Sometimes for fun I watch documentaries about quantum physics before bed and end up lying awake until the morning haha

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

HisHighness (20-09-18), hotshot (21-09-18), scoobywho (20-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Lol ffs thats me not sleeping later thinking about that shit hahahhaha. Sometimes for fun I watch documentaries about quantum physics before bed and end up lying awake until the morning haha
    Aye or end up on YouTube where you start out decent and 4 hours in your watching shite about satanic geese hassling pensioners 🤔.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoobywho For This Useful Post:

Gaz (20-09-18), HisHighness (20-09-18), hotshot (21-09-18), lipnobody (25-10-18)

Thanks

Jesus, and wait, why did he drink the result!??

I used to love milk.

I've had the last delivery of LEDs now, so here's the final layout for the light panel.

4x 3000k 10w panel cobs
    4x 4000k 10w panel cobs
    4x 740nm 3w farred/IR cobs
    3x 380nm 3w UVA cobs
    2x 400-840 50w 'full spectrum' cobs

I've got four separate powersupplies that can fade these lights but that will be a software thing

Typically cant find any drill bits now..

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

gardro (20-09-18), Gaz (20-09-18), hotshot (21-09-18), scoobywho (20-09-18)

Thanks

Jesus, and wait, why did he drink the result!??

I used to love milk.

I've had the last delivery of LEDs now, so here's the final layout for the light panel.

4x 3000k 10w panel cobs
    4x 4000k 10w panel cobs
    4x 740nm 3w farred/IR cobs
    3x 380nm 3w UVA cobs
    2x 400-840 50w 'full spectrum' cobs

I've got four separate powersupplies that can fade these lights but that will be a software thing

Typically cant find any drill bits now..

See mate and before you know it you will be thinking if I butter the back of a cat and drop it which way will it land... slippery slope man 😣lol anyways keep on at that cabinet going to be a belter when it's finished mate.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoobywho For This Useful Post:

HisHighness (21-09-18), hotshot (21-09-18), lipnobody (25-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoobywho View Post
    See mate and before you know it you will be thinking if I butter the back of a cat and drop it which way will it land... slippery slope man 😣lol anyways keep on at that cabinet going to be a belter when it's finished mate.

Fingers crossed man! Cannie wait till I can get the software going!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

gardro (28-09-18), hotshot (21-09-18), scoobywho (21-09-18)

Thanks

Done did some soldering, testing three channels letting them run in a bit, check the heat etc. So far so good!

Have to wire the UV and ir LEDs still

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

gardro (28-09-18), hotshot (23-09-18), scoobywho (24-09-18)

Thanks

Did a test fit of the top ducting shelf.

Still have some little bits to finish designing and printing, the manifold at the bottom of the pic of the ducts will fed out the back and down into the bottom section to be recirculated...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), Done420 (29-09-18), gardro (28-09-18), hotshot (28-09-18)

Thanks

Still designing and redesigning parts. Printing the main computer and control case now, it will house the pi, relays, io board, power distribution for the 12, 5 and 3.3 volt power. There is a section built into this case which is insulated from the low voltage section for the mains relays and IEC connectors.

Finished all but the floor insulation cos the printer is on it right now!

Still thinking on how best to fit the light rig. It will be motorised, but there ain't much space in the top section that now is full of hozes and fans.... might have to make the cable pulley system more compact, which may mean more complicated....

Although not much is all joined up, once this box is printed all the electronics can be installed then the fun begins!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), gardro (05-10-18), hotshot (05-10-18), lazor_ears (06-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,974 Times in 3,667 Posts

Still designing and redesigning parts. Printing the main computer and control case now, it will house the pi, relays, io board, power distribution for the 12, 5 and 3.3 volt power. There is a section built into this case which is insulated from the low voltage section for the mains relays and IEC connectors.

Finished all but the floor insulation cos the printer is on it right now!

Still thinking on how best to fit the light rig. It will be motorised, but there ain't much space in the top section that now is full of hozes and fans.... might have to make the cable pulley system more compact, which may mean more complicated....

Although not much is all joined up, once this box is printed all the electronics can be installed then the fun begins!

Very tidy, clinical build 👍

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

HisHighness (06-10-18), hotshot (06-10-18)

Thanks

I have a semi automated room, I can visit once a week but I have learnt over the years to go in every 2-3 days. you cant really automated some of the process's that you dont need to control in outdoor. spending money on some equipment can save you time and effort,but many systems are best left to you to judge or are much cheaper, consistent, simple and reliable.
    E,g light height- keeping the light at the optimum distance. It could be automated but the time you would put in to creating and installing that system would take years to recoup when one hood takes 15 seconds to move during stretch and lots of money if one even exists off the shelf. The same goes for auto watering systems they save time from hand watering and mixing nutes but cost money and then cleaning time at the end of each run, they also can get blockages /disease/ failures. Different strains have different needs so you cant go with a one suits all if you want some top notch produce. Also every extra piece of equipment starts to add to your operating cost and may add to noise issues

If the above examples dont make you flinch Then PESTS/ disease should.

I have been caught twice with mites after planned 6-8 days of solitude and while they can be controlled and eradicated in the right circumstances, nothing beats preventive measures and spending time looking at the plants up close with your eyes and catching pests in the early stages.

not trying to knock it just saying when its small scale its easier to keep some things more simple.
    Your electro/mechanical knowledge seems vast so I wish you the best of luck in succeeding.
    If i didnt smoke i drink myself to death.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigmurphy For This Useful Post:

HisHighness (06-10-18), hotshot (06-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmurphy View Post
    I have a semi automated room, I can visit once a week but I have learnt over the years to go in every 2-3 days. you cant really automated some of the process's that you dont need to control in outdoor. spending money on some equipment can save you time and effort,but many systems are best left to you to judge or are much cheaper, consistent, simple and reliable.
    E,g light height- keeping the light at the optimum distance. It could be automated but the time you would put in to creating and installing that system would take years to recoup when one hood takes 15 seconds to move during stretch and lots of money if one even exists off the shelf. The same goes for auto watering systems they save time from hand watering and mixing nutes but cost money and then cleaning time at the end of each run, they also can get blockages /disease/ failures. Different strains have different needs so you cant go with a one suits all if you want some top notch produce. Also every extra piece of equipment starts to add to your operating cost and may add to noise issues

If the above examples dont make you flinch Then PESTS/ disease should.

I have been caught twice with mites after planned 6-8 days of solitude and while they can be controlled and eradicated in the right circumstances, nothing beats preventive measures and spending time looking at the plants up close with your eyes and catching pests in the early stages.

not trying to knock it just saying when its small scale its easier to keep some things more simple.
    Your electro/mechanical knowledge seems vast so I wish you the best of luck in succeeding.
    You are right! There is, currently, no better input that the human, for this, for now.

It will rely on the human interaction for every stage and for regular check ins. And you'll be expected to do regular tasks that the isnt any easy way to mechanise.... yet

You are right about the cost and complexity being barriers to being trouble free and continuous use, and about other undesirable factors like pests or nute infections. - prevention in this case should be handled by the nature of having it sealed completely from the outside environment, and a regular cleaning plan. Some of which could be automated, but may need some hands on cleaning, like you said after each run.

To give you an idea of cost thou, the lighting system alone cost less than 100 in parts, that's LEDs of 5 different spectrums, pwm dimmer controlled powersupplies, heat dissipation, cabling etc.

The time in man hours is just off the charts, building something like this completely from scratch will always be. You are right that making it 'worth' while would require all sorts to make it viable. Not including tooling, bull buying etc.

I would hope that this would be a platform for future development, and experiment.

Like, emmerson effect, What's the difference been strains? What are the limits to operate in? How much does uv affect yield/resin, is it really uva or uvb? Or both? Does flood drain work better than the next method? More basically, temperature? Humidity, staying on VPD really matter? By how much? How much power consumed? and water/nutes? And because this is a sealed environment -why not co2?!

There are so many questions mostly are answered anecdotally online and could never be replicated (I mean total environment), some have had papers written about (some with questionable methods), some that are difficult to even define because there lacks a consistent measurable environment to experiment on.

The beauty is, once proven in these small scale boxes, scaling up parts to whole rooms is just some adjustment in values in software, and obviously corresponding hardware.

That's why when completed, I'll be looking to make this all open source. The bill of materials, 3d printed part files and software will be available for people to replicate and develop

I absolutely know what you mean about strain specific growth requirements, all I can tell you is... imagine having the entire history of every grow, the temperature, humidity, lighting schedules (and 5 different spectrum fading patterns) watering pattern, nutrient brand/mix strength over time. All you would need to do is label that data with a strain name and know you know exactly what it took to make that strain produce x yield. This is alot of work being down in the back ground, I'm getting help with this... and integrations with leafly.com

And we are only talking cannabis, you could stick a tomato or chilli seed in it and it would work the same.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

bigmurphy (09-10-18), CityDweller (12-10-18), hotshot (06-10-18), scoobywho (07-10-18)

Thanks

Jesus I didnt realise how much I splurged then...

TL;DR:

Yeh, pests should be mitigated (so long as you dont keep the doors open) cleaning regularly and changing filters. Data is driver. What fails should be cheap enough to replace but the hardwork is going into designing the most efficient use of them... or not bothering...

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), hotshot (06-10-18), scoobywho (07-10-18)

Thanks

Little update, not much looks like it's been happening, but designing and printing 3d parts, arranging some electronics and testing some cabling.

The root chamber is fitted thou, and the ducting is being printed. The interior of the box is insulated and seals completely now from the outside.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), gardro (12-10-18)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast