Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pot sizes

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,505 Times

Default Answered: Pot sizes

Can't entirely make my mind up, I know your aiming for a gpw regardless. The difference is though, doing less means a longer veg. So can someone tell me the benefit other than keeping numbers down?

Stuck thinking should I run 9 plants in 6 litre pots under the 600w. I have the the past and best I done was 14.5oz but that was ages ago and looking back I flipped way too soon imo. If I do 9 under the 600w I will be needing just under 2.5oz per plant to hit gpw. I know its possible to get that from a 6litre pot of coco. I have pulled over 4.5oz from a 6litre pot plant. Sounds good right but was under a 250w on its own so only half a gram per a watt roughly. Maybe though it would have pulled more if I had it in a bigger pot. I wouldn't be aiming for that much anyway.

Or do I go with 5 plants in 10litre pots, under the 600w. Done this last time.and averaged 3.5oz per plant. Best I have done but was my most recent grow and like I say earlier days growing I don't think I vegged enough.

So yeah what would you recommend and why?

2. "it's totally user choice/preference, if you have the time veg longer with fewer plants or if not veg shorter but more plants
    the goal is 21oz how you get there doesn't matter mate

i've done 4 in 11lt and got just under 18oz, done 8 in 6.8lt and got just over 18oz the only difference was the veg time and the amount of watering i needed to do,
    in soil and hand watering is definitely easier in a big pot lol"

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bazilbrush For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-11-18), CityDweller (21-09-18), Cleargreen (15-11-18), GEORGE (21-09-18), MonsterEnergy (20-09-18), Valentina (21-09-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times
    Provided Answers: 87

it's totally user choice/preference, if you have the time veg longer with fewer plants or if not veg shorter but more plants
    the goal is 21oz how you get there doesn't matter mate

i've done 4 in 11lt and got just under 18oz, done 8 in 6.8lt and got just over 18oz the only difference was the veg time and the amount of watering i needed to do,
    in soil and hand watering is definitely easier in a big pot lol

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-11-18), CityDweller (21-09-18), Cleargreen (15-11-18), GEORGE (21-09-18), ggotch (16-11-18), Valentina (21-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times
    Provided Answers: 9

Like monster said. If hand watering a bigger pot saves a lot of work.
    I like fewer larger plants in larger pots. When I tried 8 smaller plants in small pots i was hand watering twice daily at full drink time.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

Gaz (21-09-18), GEORGE (21-09-18), MonsterEnergy (22-09-18), Valentina (21-09-18)

Thanks

Yeah other than plant numbers and watering is there any benefit?

I would like to have less veg time of course. I just remember I have done 9 under a 600w and never got even 18oz. That was back in the day though and only thing I can kind of think is that I was flipping my plants a bit too early. It still seemed quite packed in there though but I would like to think I would do better now. I have pulled more than that from a 6litre pot before though since the days of doing 9 under there. Think this grow will end up with just 6 under there as tent I am waiting on is going to take 10 weeks to come, by time my cuts are ready will be waiting still at around 6/7 weeks. During that time will just have them vegging in my current tent and so should get a decent size.

After that I may as well just try the 9 plants in there and cut down veg time. I wish there was a way can look at a plant in veg and just know right, that looks big enough to give this much. Thing is though same time, don't want them too big as have to fit 9 in there.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bazilbrush For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (15-11-18), GEORGE (21-09-18), MonsterEnergy (22-09-18), Valentina (21-09-18)

Thanks

9 is definitely doable, if there clones that's even better
    even if it's just 2oz per plant ud still easily walk 18oz

these were from an 8x plant grow under a 600w using 6.8lt pots

nom nom!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

bazilbrush (22-09-18), GEORGE (23-09-18), ggotch (16-11-18), Valentina (22-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times
    Provided Answers: 12

Somewhere on this forum is a thread about for each month of the plant's life, give it 4 litres for the sweet spot. The OP wrote that excessively large pots did not yield more.

What are your thoughts on that?
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (15-11-18), GEORGE (23-09-18), MonsterEnergy (22-09-18)

Thanks

for some veg + stretch time == final pot size,
    it's very much whatever works best for you and ur girls/schedule

in coco over watering isn't the same vs soil, again garden dependent lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-09-18), Valentina (22-09-18)

Thanks

I have pulled just over 4.5oz from a 6litre pot and wasn't a huge plant. It's not impressive though as I had it on its own with a 250w. I do wonder what the limit is though per a pot though. Well I don't really wonder as it doesn't matter lol. I just think I may have got more if I used a bigger pot. Not purely on pot size increasing the yield but fact if had the 250w to itself.

First time round with my new set up I'm gonna just go with 5 under the light. More so because will be waiting for the new set up to arrive. So I'm going to just be vegging until it arrives then flip em. Second time round ill use 6 litre pots. One thing I prefer with that is less veg time but also I feel that size the plants don't need tying as much. Staking plants can be a pain in the arse for me lol.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazilbrush For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (15-11-18), GEORGE (23-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times
    Provided Answers: 1

Great question and I have been wondering the same but with a slightly different context where the light itself is a limiting factor as well.
    How many plants would best bring out the maximum yield of say a 60watt quantum board, would that be a single plant with longer veg and topping a couple times or would doing a SoG with 10 plants in much smaller pots and flipping to 12-12 almost immediately give the same yield but with much less lighting expense and time which means being able to do more grows per year?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times
    Provided Answers: 19

i pulled 2oz from my pepsi grow challenge we had here a while back (pepsi 2ltr bottle so about 1.8 ltr of soil i guess),nice erb n all it was,auto mind,very tasty.

watering it drove me potty

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-11-18), Cleargreen (16-11-18), GEORGE (16-11-18), Priapus (16-11-18), WF420 (16-11-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast