Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand growing mediums better..!

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

I think I was mixing up soil and compost for a start and thought you could use the terms interchangeably , that’s how much of a beginner I am

Would you say that with an organic or non-organic grow that there is a significant difference in the quality of your grow or is it more down to personal preference?

I originally was looking at some Lightmix to start and then some Allmix during the repotting or that PlantMagic, though knowing when the natural nutes of the mix have worn off was confusing and whether those mixes can all be used from start to finish.

Is Neem Oil a one time additive at the beginning or a continuously throughout the grow?
    Last edited by Dilbert; 12-10-18 at 11:32 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dilbert For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Gaz (12-10-18), Spartacuss (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post

I think I was mixing up soil and compost for a start and thought you could use the terms interchangeably , that’s how much of a beginner I am

Would you say that with an organic or non-organic grow that there is a significant difference in the quality of your grow or is it more down to personal preference?

I originally was looking at some Lightmix to start and then some Allmix during the repotting or that PlantMagic, though knowing when the natural nutes of the mix have worn off was confusing and whether those mixes can all be used from start to finish.

Is Neem Oil a one time additive at the beginning or a continuously throughout the grow?
    All mix is a bit hot mate, stick to the light mix or.the plant magic or go with the verve.

Light mix will have enough nutes for the first 4 weeks or so then just feed her bloom through flower.

People say organic improves the taste and quality but I havent got go my first harvest yet so Im in no place to testify to that.

Neem oil is an ongoing pest prevention and spider mites and other pest happen more often than you would think. All the guys that dont get problems have some form of pest management in place.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Dilbert (12-10-18), Spartacuss (12-10-18)

Thanks

Hey you have to start somewhere right...I'm new to this site, but not growing and so far this is the best place for information that I've seen...and I've browsed most of them over the years. These guys here know what they are doing and very helpful. I grow mostly organic now and there is a difference in quality--but you have to know how to get the soil just right which for a beginner that isn't used to seeing how the plant behaves or what to look for is probably not a good idea to start with--it takes a lot of amendments and most of the good ones aren't cheap when starting out..I'm not sure of the soils you are naming as I've never used them but listen to the others on what's hot or not (that means they have too many nutrients that will over fertilize your plant basically which leads to nutrient burn, lockout, stunted growth and other issues)..A lot of the premixed soils will get you through your vegetative stage depending on if you veg the normal month or not..After that you will need to begin adding your own nutrients as the plant gets bigger and starts to flower it will start needing whatever Bloom nutes you have and most of the time the Cal-Mag talked about previously...As for the Neem oil like Gaz said its a pest preventative (Which you definitely want to do beforehand) as bugs will destroy your grow even if everything else is perfect..No matter how good you are bugs are bound to happen sooner or later even to the best of us--I do the same thing he suggested with the Neem by spraying your entire tent with it beforehand it wont do any damage to anything and not only preventing bugs it prevents Powdery Mildew which is another big problem the plants get. I spray Neem oil on my new plants in veg after a week of 1st growth, twice a week for 4 weeks or until right when I switch to flower as a preventative. Its never failed me and I havent seen powdery mildew since. This is all a lot of info so take in all you can and your 1st time won't be such a headache--having a stunted plant, bugs, molds, powdery mildew etc is no fun my friend and can stop a new grower from wanting to grow in their tracks so plan ahead

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spartacuss For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Dilbert (12-10-18), Gaz (12-10-18), lipnobody (12-10-18)

Thanks

Yeah this place is fantastic, such a wealth of information to guide you! I was going to grow a few years back but living arrangements prevented it at the time. I’m just trying to take in as much as possible before I attempt my first one, so just figuring out my options in regards to soil, seeds, equipment etc.. if I can grow 1-2 plants a time and get a couple of ounces of decent bud from them then I’ll be happy!

So far then for my growing medium and recommended nutes I’m planning on getting:

- Plant Magic/Lightmix/Verve for the compost.
    - Perlite for drainage.
    - Rhizotonic for roots.
    - Oldtimers Bloom (maybe some nutes for Veg aswell?)
    - Neem Oil

Possibly Cal-Mag and some Epsom salts aswell.

I might be lucky that I live in an area with soft-ish water. I’ve checked the numbers and it says that my CaCO3 (water hardness) is 66mg/l and have a Ca mg/l of 26, I’m not really sure what that means though haha.

In regards to my setup.. I’ve not sorted that yet but I’m considering purchasing a grow tent to save any hassle, 1x1x1.8m I’m thinking should be sufficient for 2-3 plants and I’m torn between an LED which will give me both bands of light for each stage or buying a MH and 400w HPS light but having the hassle of swapping them over, unless those MH/HPS hybrids are actually worth it??
    Last edited by Dilbert; 12-10-18 at 04:50 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dilbert For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Spartacuss (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

If your thinking LED then check out the site sponsers section and check out Invisble sun led. Alot will tell you.HPS is the way to go. There are quite a few Invisble sun quantum board grows happening at the minute so you should check them out too mate

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Dilbert (12-10-18), Spartacuss (12-10-18)

Thanks

Yeah this place is fantastic, such a wealth of information to guide you! I was going to grow a few years back but living arrangements prevented it at the time. I’m just trying to take in as much as possible before I attempt my first one, so just figuring out my options in regards to soil, seeds, equipment etc.. if I can grow 1-2 plants a time and get a couple of ounces of decent bud from them then I’ll be happy!

So far then for my growing medium and recommended nutes I’m planning on getting:

- Plant Magic/Lightmix/Verve for the compost.
    - Perlite for drainage.
    - Rhizotonic for roots.
    - Oldtimers Bloom (maybe some nutes for Veg aswell?)
    - Neem Oil

Possibly Cal-Mag and some Epsom salts aswell.

I might be lucky that I live in an area with soft-ish water. I’ve checked the numbers and it says that my CaCO3 (water hardness) is 66mg/l and have a Ca mg/l of 26, I’m not really sure what that means though haha.

In regards to my setup.. I’ve not sorted that yet but I’m considering purchasing a grow tent to save any hassle, 1x1x1.8m I’m thinking should be sufficient for 2-3 plants and I’m torn between an LED which will give me both bands of light for each stage or buying a MH and 400w HPS light but having the hassle of swapping them over, unless those MH/HPS hybrids are actually worth it??
    Looking good to start with so far then..better than my 1st grow thats for sure...get you a tent, they are cheap as hell now...I use LED lights but everyone will tell you something differently. Just remember there is no 1 way to grow but about 100 million ways...Research the pros and cons to all the lights and get one that best suits YOUR needs, setup and grow style. All lights can grow excellent quality and yields with know-how...Take your time when it comes to them and don't be talked into something you're not sure about. The lighting you need to prob research the most, don't do all this other stuff then rush into a lighting purchase you may regret later on..Be aware of the months you will be growing in---will it be hot months, will it be cold months, can you maintain humidity levels during those months, are you going to run the lights during the day time for heat issues or at night time, will you need to supplement heat if it gets too cold..being aware of this ahead of time will help you decide how you need to grow and what works best for you...Good luck with everything

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spartacuss For This Useful Post:

Dilbert (12-10-18), Kurdt (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

All sounds great. Keep your soil mix light enough for good drainage and easy root expansion. Make sure that you use a big enough planter so that you don't get root bound. Change your soil mix every grow. Don't over fertilize. I'm going to find a YouTube link to a great soil grower for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Gaz (12-10-18)

Thanks

Ok the YouTube guy is Northwest Jay. I'm sending you a link.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5g...uN2duOJfezO4lQ
    Last edited by Jeff; 12-10-18 at 05:49 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Dilbert (12-10-18), Gaz (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,075 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Spdrjeff View Post
    Ok the YouTube guy is Northwest Jay. I'm sending you a link.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5g...uN2duOJfezO4lQ
    not too sure bout that outside link fella, youll have to clear it with the mods first
    skin it roll it lick it twist it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-10-18), Jeff (12-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lipnobody View Post
    not too sure bout that outside link fella, youll have to clear it with the mods first
    Thanks I didn't know. They can take it down if they don't approve, I suppose. I'm not a spammer and mean no harm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

lipnobody (17-10-18)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast