Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this some sort of Lockout? Twisted, Yellow leaves

Thanks

Default Is this some sort of Lockout? Twisted, Yellow leaves

Hi all, This is my first post so please bear with my if there is any important info I've missed.
    I'm a novice grower attempting a pretty tricky micro grow in order to maintain stealth. This is my third grow but hopefully my first to actually make it to harvest.

I took these this morning, it's day 18 since the seed popped. She's a Northern Lights Auto from dope-seeds, popped in less than 24 hours which suggest pretty good genetics IMO.
    The main symptoms are yellowing of the lower leaves from the middle and tip of the leave inwards. It started on the cotyledons and today the single finger fan leaves are showing it on the tips. The veins of the leaves are noticeably more yellow than other parts. I'd usually put this down to nitrogen deficiency however if you look closely there's a tiny bit of nute burn on the tips, which is the source of my confusion. I could understand if the soil is a little hot (see below) but am not sure why this is causing symptoms of a deficiency. To make things more confusing the leaves are now pointing down at the tips, yesterday the entire leaves were pointing straight up which I assume was in response to increased airflow and better temperature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day18top.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	366867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day18side.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	366868

I got off to a shaky start as I've been away from the hobby for a while but thought I had sorted all my problems sorted until about 2 days ago. I initially had some problems with airflow and high temperature (same cause, not enough airflow) and my temps were between 28C to 33C. Just before I fixed the airflow problem it peaked at 37C, we had some hot weather and I took some powertools to the side of my enclosure. I believe this is why she's so small for day 18, however due to my tiny grow space I'm not too fussed about that and am still going to try and save her.

I'm growing in soil, it's a generic soil for growing vegetables. It's about one 5th perlite and maybe a 10th vermiculute. I think the soil was initially enriched with some sort of nutrients (possibly peat moss) which is what caused my last plant to die of nute burn, I've since flushed the crap out of it and judging by the PH indicator it's between 6 and 7. Digital PH meter is on my shopping list. Pot size is 2L, planted straight in the soil and it's where she'll remain all the way into flower. I'm actually hoping this will keep her small as I have about a foot of vertical height. Maybe I'll have root bound problems down the road but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! I have the Biobizz veg and bloom lined up, however I haven't added any yet since If there's one thing I've learned from my past 2 plants it's that doing nothing is better than hastily trying to fix a problem just for the sake of doing something.

My temps are now stable around 26.5C. The range is less than 25 to 28 since improving my airflow. Humidity has been around 45%, however that was at higher temps and it's now about 50%. I know this isn't perfect but it's not dangerously low so right now it's the least of my concerns. And finally, lighting. I have 2x 24w 6500k CFLs about 4 or 5 inches above the top leaves. This is also the same height as my temperature probe.

As I've mentioned I flushed the soil before planting so it was really soaking. 2L is pretty big for a seedling and that water lasted until yesterday, when I gave her her first drink. Since it's been more than 2 weeks I believe this would be the time to start with the nutes however I didn't do so out of fear that I'd make my problems worse. Instead I sort of gave her a second flush, basically using about 2Litres of of water over the bath which was when the water stopped coming out yellow.

As you can probably tell I'm a bit lost here so really any advice is appreciated. I know it's a little confusing as I've changed the environment a few times and I have considered this might just be stress from the sudden changes in temperature and co2 levels, however each time I check on her the yellowing seems to be creeping upwards and getting worse. I don't really care about my yields at this point, I just don't want to lose another plant.

Thanks for any help,
    Love and peace!
    Last edited by ShamanShiba; 16-10-18 at 06:00 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShamanShiba For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (16-10-18), CityDweller (20-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,614 Times

To be honest,looks ok to me? Like you said,maybe a little stressed due to environment changes. In my limited experience,its sometimes easy to see problems that are not there and by trying to fix them,you make them alot worse. A foot of grow space is going to be a push though IMO.Also,usually in soil,no nutes are really needed for the first 4-ish weeks but im not to sure in 2l of soil,may need it before? but please dont take what Ive said as gospel, wait until one of the experienced growers give you some advice.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (16-10-18), CityDweller (20-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), ShamanShiba (17-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,097 Times

Doesn't look to bad.

If anything all the flushing might be causing it to be to wet.

Is the pot light when you watered it?

Seedlings need it to be dry so the roots search for water.

To much water me thinks

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ben.g For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-10-18), G' (19-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Kurdt (16-10-18), ShamanShiba (17-10-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm hoping it is just the changes I've made plus a little bit of noob paranoia

And Ben, I waited until the pot was super light before watering. One advantage of growing in such a large pot (relative to the plant size) is I can stick my finger all the way to the bottom without damaging the roots to see how wet it is down there and it was bone dry when I watered, I think another day and she would have started wilting. I killed my first plant by overwatering so hopefully I'm not making the same mistake again.

However I don't think my camera is really good enough to capture the problem properly. I've now noticed some mottling in the middle of the affected leaves, it's not quite brown spots (more like white at the moment) but will update when it gets a little more obvious. That's the struggle of trying to diagnose such a tiny plant!

Will update this thread with pics if it gets worse, fingers crossed it just goes away

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShamanShiba For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (17-10-18), G' (19-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

U need a higher humidity. I'm going to post a link for vapor pressure deficiency chart.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (17-10-18), ENGLISH_HERBSMAN (22-10-18), G' (19-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Greengrass (22-10-18), ShamanShiba (17-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spdrjeff View Post
    U need a higher humidity. I'm going to post a link for vapor pressure deficiency chart.
    Thanks man, this chart is extremely useful and I've not seen anything like it in any of the other threads or guides about humidity. Good to know I'm not in the danger zone but I'm definitely going to have to invest in a humidifier or something.

However I don't think the low humidity is what's causing all this trouble. The problem has gotten worse, the cotyledons now dying. I know they usually die after a while but the 3rd pair of leaves have barely even come in. I think this must be a nitrogen deficiency right? The leave's are turning pale at the ends, eventually turning yellow then dying like the cotyledon showing below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day22.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	367005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day22_2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	367006

She's 3 weeks and a day old now. I'm worried this plant isn't gonna make it as the second leaves are already showing brown tips and may be half dead by tomorrow.
    Please advise on what the problem or solution could be... As I'm not completely sure. I'm thinking that since she will probably die anyway I may try a small dose of the BioBizz Grow.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShamanShiba For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (22-10-18), CityDweller (20-10-18), G' (21-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Greengrass (22-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Did you let her dry out before watering again? A few days ago she was way overwatered. Did you water again too soon? There should be no need for nutes at this stage and age in any amended soil.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (22-10-18), G' (21-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Greengrass (22-10-18), ShamanShiba (20-10-18)

Thanks

Well not completely... but it was dry down to about an inch, it would have been tomorrow or the day after.

And I know, some people even say wait until week 4 before adding nutes but the soil should have been completely nutrient free and I've been reading through all the symptom threads again and I just can't see anything else it could be other than a nitrogen deficiency.

I just added about half a ml of biobizz grow, it's NPK 4-3-6. Not sure exactly how much nitrogen that is but it's less than they recommend so I'm just going to see what effect it has. The 3rd set of leaves you can see in the pics I posted earlier can actually be seen in the OP from 4 days before, so that should give you an idea of how slow she's really been growing. I'm expecting to see that speed up a little now since nitrogen is pretty essential for growth. If not I may have killed another plant...

Let me know what you guys think will happen!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShamanShiba For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (22-10-18), G' (21-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Greengrass (22-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Personally i wouldn't be giving any nutes as yet and just be carrying on with water if you get the watering right she should come good, all the best mukka, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (22-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Greengrass (22-10-18), Kurdt (21-10-18), ShamanShiba (21-10-18)

Thanks

Talking

Okay hey guys and gyals thanks for all the information. I have put together this image to show how slow the new growth had been until adding the nutes yesterday. Not even 24 hours and she's grown as much as she did over the previous 4 days!

I think it's safe to say my poor soil was the problem here, but I may still update this thread if the yellowing doesn't stop traveling upwards.

Peace out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3tues.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	367022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3thurs.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	367023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3sat.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	367024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3sun.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	367025  
    Last edited by ShamanShiba; 21-10-18 at 03:49 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShamanShiba For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (22-10-18), GEORGE (24-10-18), Greengrass (22-10-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast