Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking clones question!

Thanks

Default Taking clones question!

Hey everyone.

So I've got a few decent harvests under my belt now, grew a few crops from clones and then had to move to seeds because I couldn't get hold of clones anymore..So I'm not a complete noob but I still have plenty to learn.

just starting a few seeds off now as it goes, 2 blue cheese and 1 pineapple chunk and I've got 3 blue cheese and 1 peyote critical just about ready for the chop, just waiting for the tichomes to turn.

So what I'm now looking into is, can I get into a cycle of taking clones off my next plants right before I flip them into flower and then do the same with clones when they're ready for flower and then just carry on in that cycle or is it a bad idea to take clones from clones?

ATM I've just blue petered a little box with a 125w cfl lamp in for seedlings but in the long run I'd like a small clone tent, obviously just trying to cut down the time a little between harvests

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

Blue (19-10-18), gardro (19-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

Some say it’s ok others say the genetics weaken,I’ve done a lot of clones over the years and can say that you will be better with a mother plant instead of taking a clone from a clone and so on,they will root quicker the closer they are to the seed grown plant imo. To find a good mother it’s always a good idea to let your crop flower first ,then pic the plant with the traits you like then reveg that plant and turn it in to a mother.
    It's nice to be nice.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson123 For This Useful Post:

BigJam (19-10-18), Blue (19-10-18), gardro (19-10-18), Valentina (20-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Yes you can take clones from clone plants before you flower each crop. However a mother plant would be a better option to preserve the genetics.

When continuously taking clones from each crop the genetics can deteriorate as you progress through each generation. They begin to lose vigour.

The closer you can keep these clones to the first or second generation the better.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

BB (19-10-18), BigJam (19-10-18), British green (19-10-18), gardro (19-10-18)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!!

Had a feeling this would be the case.

Is it easy to keep a mother in permanent veg?

I can imagine now why most prefer to buy clones or continue to grow from seed as it's obviously going to take 3 different growing spaces and 3 different lots of lights, fans, extractors not to mention the extra maintenance of 3 different grow spaces...

Probably would be better to just get good at timing fresh seedlings to be ready to go into full veg under my main hps lights as soon as I harvest

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJam For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (19-10-18), gardro (19-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Yes you can take clones from clone plants before you flower each crop. However a mother plant would be a better option to preserve the genetics.

When continuously taking clones from each crop the genetics can deteriorate as you progress through each generation. They begin to lose vigour.

The closer you can keep these clones to the first or second generation the better.
    I've heard this said before, is there any science behind it or is it jut observation?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (19-10-18), Blue (20-10-18), British green (19-10-18), gardro (19-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I've heard this said before, is there any science behind it or is it jut observation?
    Is it to do with genetic mutations ? All I can think of. DNA gets cloned then mutations occur naturally, get cloned subsequently and then worse and worse hmmm🤔

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (19-10-18), British green (19-10-18), M_C (19-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

But surely the genetics are the same rather than the possibility of new genetics being introduced?

That said, the info I read suggested that the clones were influenced by the climate & that recessive genes could come into play?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (19-10-18), British green (19-10-18), gardro (19-10-18), Valentina (20-10-18)

Viz Guest

This is my understanding of the why...

There are a number of factors at play, firstly there is Regenerative mutation. What that means is some genes are perfectly replicated in the cloning process and other were deleted from the new clones completely. (do not confuse genetic drift with regenerative mutation - close but no cigar)

Secondly Epigenetics. Here stress acts as a catalyst to the mechanism called epigenetics. In other words the experience of the host (the plant you took the clone from) experienced stress and that stress changes how the offspring DNA is expressed.

Cutting a plant to take a clone is stressful to the plant and to the bit you have cut to make the clone. Moving a plant around is stressful. Sticking it in some hormone powder is stressful. All this stress to the cloned plant can result in differences how the DNA is read. Resulting in a less vigorous plant, less potent or what ever. That process is epigenetics.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Viz For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (20-10-18), gardro (19-10-18), M_C (19-10-18), Valentina (20-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    But surely the genetics are the same rather than the possibility of new genetics being introduced?

That said, the info I read suggested that the clones were influenced by the climate & that recessive genes could come into play?
    The mutations could be random or yes like you said a recessive allele coming out in a different environment so all of a sudden you now have new genetics. This then gets multiplied over time and over the number of clone generations.

This is completely a guess

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (20-10-18), M_C (19-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

I reckon it would take a lot of generations of cuts to start noticing a difference. Me personally have found the best time to take cuttings is around day 10-13 of 12/12. My prop is under the same bulb as yours and was in a cardboard box. I've upgraded to a 60x60 which houses 4 good sized plants. 👍🏻
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

gardro (19-10-18), M_C (20-10-18), Valentina (20-10-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast