Thread: 150 hps vs cfl?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Default 150 hps vs cfl?

Coming to the end of my cfl grow and wondering if I can get away with hps...

My space in short, 90cm height and 22cm is taken up by the pots. Doing 2 at a time.

Looking at charts they can be as close as 4 inches in the optimal range. I'm wondering if 1 (or 2) of these 150hps lights would be better than 2 200w duel cfls?
    Temps may rise but winters coming and tents going into a garden cabin so I imagine it'll get pretty cool in there (I plan on insulating the hidden space with celotex to try and lower temp swings).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

AND (27-10-18), Gaz (27-10-18), MonsterEnergy (27-10-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

the only limitation is heat, if you can control that id definitely switch em over
    hid will always beat cfl in output for equivalent watts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

AND (27-10-18), Gaz (27-10-18), M_C (27-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Lol funny, Im considering a cfl set up to replace my leds haha. Thinking of a 150 watt cfl and reflector, i think Id get more head room and can set it up for 35 quid ?? I dont think it will be alot more heat that the 2 leds ? Or will it ?
    Last edited by Gaz; 27-10-18 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

Lol ignore that post lol they are fucking huge man !!! Lol way to big for my space. Quantum board is likely my best option if I want to upgrade the lighting I think.

Would a QB be an option for you given your height problems ?
    Last edited by Gaz; 27-10-18 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy View Post
    the only limitation is heat, if you can control that id definitely switch em over
    hid will always beat cfl in output for equivalent watts
    Is light burn not a concern? I've always been a bit unsure if light distance charts took heat into consideration or just light intensity. Cheers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Lol ignore that post lol they are fucking huge man !!! Lol way to big for my space. Quantum board is likely my best option if I want to upgrade the lighting I think.

Would a QB be an option for you given your height problems ?
    I wasn't sure about QB's. A few posts I'd read said they still need 12 to 24 inch gaps. I could be wrong... didn't continue the research.

How much space do your current lights have? Reflectors are easily snapped or bent if its the width of em that concerns you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

Another vote for the cool tube.
    Had a 250w mh in a 5inch tube on its own fan in my 60x60x140. Temps were 25c, so I reckon a 400w would be ok.
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I wasn't sure about QB's. A few posts I'd read said they still need 12 to 24 inch gaps. I could be wrong... didn't continue the research.

How much space do your current lights have? Reflectors are easily snapped or bent if its the width of em that concerns you.
    Mate they are so big haha Id have less than a foot. I have 12 inches from the top of the pot at the moment. A QB would give me 15 or 16 but yeah I think I would need much more height than than that.