Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: First grow

Starcodex Guest

Default First grow

Hi everyone.

I don't know how to start off my first thread. I could start by saying how excited i'm feeling about how my day has gone so far.
    I've just started off my very first grow in my garden shed... and I'm curious to know if my grow is going to be a success. There are a few factors that I think could ruin it all. So hopefully the advice here will reward me with a tasty homegrown smoke. I've read a fair bit but putting my knowledge into practice is a bit scary. Anyway...

I have to grow in my shed as there isn't anywhere suitable in my home apart from my attic but I couldn't figure out how to get power in there without drilling through walls. I live in Scotland and already its been snowing today. Its bitterly cold in my shed but hopefully warmer in my growing enclosure.

So..

I crafted my growing area out of strips of plywood and wrapped it with some white polythene. I couldn't
    afford a proper light of any kind so I acquired a 20w cool white led floodlight... It seems pretty bright and brighter than my friends 250 cfl... I also bought this Halloween rope light that I intend to use to try and keep my plants warm. It seems to generate a fair bit of heat when left on for a few hours. I don't think it's going to create enough of it so I'd like to know if there is anything else I could use for warmth. I was thinking a halogen heater but that's going to cost a fortune left on and not forgetting the fire hazard.

I got some reduced price compost from tesco. It looks very peaty. I wonder if that will be sufficient. I was keen on getting Perlite but I can't afford the cost of it 😩 the seeds I'm using are 3 x pyramid Auto white widow. And a freebie Auto jack herer. I read about the many germination techniques. I just opted for the glass of water soak and then potted them straight in their final pots.

I'm wondering now if I should continue to leave my light on for the prospect of creating warmth or turn it off.?
    What could I use to generate heat in my shed.? I mentioned the halogen heater but I don't think that's a good idea.
    Would it be worth covering the pots with plastic to create the high humidity.?
    Will the 20w floodlight make them grow at all or would I be better off using a heap of cfl Nrg saving light bulbs.?

So yea my first grow that so far has only cost me the price of seeds
    I'll head on over to the introduce yourself bit and introduce myself 😊

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20181027_153040.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	367199  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Starcodex For This Useful Post:

420gen (27-10-18), Adi (16-11-18), curiouscultivator (18-04-19), Gaz (27-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), WhIpLaSh (28-10-18)

Starcodex Guest

[here's another picture I forgot to add.

it's only 11 degrees in there Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20181027_175933.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	367200

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Starcodex For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), Ironman (27-10-18), WhIpLaSh (28-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

I'll pull up a chair and tag along. Good luck mate 😁

Sent from ⚒Thames Iron Works⚒

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Starcodex View Post
    Hi everyone.

I don't know how to start off my first thread. I could start by saying how excited i'm feeling about how my day has gone so far.
    I've just started off my very first grow in my garden shed... and I'm curious to know if my grow is going to be a success. There are a few factors that I think could ruin it all. So hopefully the advice here will reward me with a tasty homegrown smoke. I've read a fair bit but putting my knowledge into practice is a bit scary. Anyway...

I have to grow in my shed as there isn't anywhere suitable in my home apart from my attic but I couldn't figure out how to get power in there without drilling through walls. I live in Scotland and already its been snowing today. Its bitterly cold in my shed but hopefully warmer in my growing enclosure.

So..

I crafted my growing area out of strips of plywood and wrapped it with some white polythene. I couldn't
    afford a proper light of any kind so I acquired a 20w cool white led floodlight... It seems pretty bright and brighter than my friends 250 cfl... I also bought this Halloween rope light that I intend to use to try and keep my plants warm. It seems to generate a fair bit of heat when left on for a few hours. I don't think it's going to create enough of it so I'd like to know if there is anything else I could use for warmth. I was thinking a halogen heater but that's going to cost a fortune left on and not forgetting the fire hazard.

I got some reduced price compost from tesco. It looks very peaty. I wonder if that will be sufficient. I was keen on getting Perlite but I can't afford the cost of it �� the seeds I'm using are 3 x pyramid Auto white widow. And a freebie Auto jack herer. I read about the many germination techniques. I just opted for the glass of water soak and then potted them straight in their final pots.

I'm wondering now if I should continue to leave my light on for the prospect of creating warmth or turn it off.?
    What could I use to generate heat in my shed.? I mentioned the halogen heater but I don't think that's a good idea.
    Would it be worth covering the pots with plastic to create the high humidity.?
    Will the 20w floodlight make them grow at all or would I be better off using a heap of cfl Nrg saving light bulbs.?

So yea my first grow that so far has only cost me the price of seeds
    I'll head on over to the introduce yourself bit and introduce myself ��

Thank you
    We have them lights at uni everywhere lol Ive eyed up blagging one a couple of times haha.

Good luck mate, Ill tag along

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-10-18), jumpman233345 (18-04-19), UpT0wn (27-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,614 Times

Have you looked at the little oil filled radiators you can buy on ebay? Cheap as chips plus most have a timer where you can set it to go on and off throughout the day.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Thanks

intrigued to see your results. Scotland winter is no joke. ur gonna need something to keep the temps above 20c in that shed mate or nothing will grow

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 420gen For This Useful Post:

G' (28-10-18), Gaz (27-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), HelixFertilizers (06-12-18), jumpman233345 (18-04-19), Kurdt (27-10-18)

Thanks

Gotta say mate if that light only pulls 20 watts thats barely enough for one plant let alone 4. You may want to look at spending some pound notes on a decent light or you may not get these across the line mate.

You dont need to spend the earth but even a couple of 200 or 300 watt cfl with reflectors would only set you back 80 quid (40 quid each ish) although HPS would be much better given your cooler temps mate.

Honestly though unless Im missing something you arent gonna get much if anything from these plants with the LED or just lots of small cfl IMO.

I get the feeling you wont have the money mate and everyone will help even if you stay as you are but at least you go in knowing what to expect rather than false hopes.
    Last edited by Gaz; 27-10-18 at 10:07 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

G' (28-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), Kurdt (27-10-18)

Thanks

For now maybe but all for cfls in with the LED and get the total watts up to what ever you can.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

G' (28-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), Kurdt (28-10-18), Priapus (21-11-18), WhIpLaSh (28-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Hi mate. I'll tag along.

You're wasting your time and money with that light. Seriously. I know it's your first grow but you'll have to spend a little money to give yourself the best chance of success. Growing under that light is like filling your car's petrol tank with milk and expecting it to run :/ It's not gonna happen, mate.

Let us know if you're in a position to and we can recommend some equipment that will make this all worth your while It doesn't have to break the bank.

If you don't have the cash now, I would wait until you have it saved up. It'll save you a lot of frustration. Best of luck

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

Gaz (28-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), Kurdt (28-10-18), Priapus (21-11-18), Subterranean Man (28-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,374 Times

Welcome sir!

What size grow space have you built and are you planning on flowering with that light?

I run my lights at night and dark during the day to balance temperature.

Id check out a small oil heater. They sell them at most box stores and are usually cheap. They will suck the moisture out of your space.

I have covered solo cups with plastic wrap for humidity and it works well. Ive found that if you leave the wrap on too long after sprout your seedlings will get leggy bumping into the top of it. They settle quickly once removed.

As far as your light goes I think its more of a question of how large of a canopy will it support and not will it grow plants. I believe the answer to that question (assuming thats 25w of 5000k like I think) is somewhere around a 16 inch circle of grow space in veg and about 12 in flower.

Now the question becomes how much flower can bloom in 12 inches of total plant space? My totally newb gut feeling is that your yield will be in the low 10's of grams.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

creeperpark (30-12-18), Gaz (28-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast