Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Humidity And Ventilation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I use domes for the 1st couple weeks which helps a lot.
    Where is your intake getting air from? Just wondering if its worth in taking passively as you mentioned it's summer where you are so indoor air might be cooler? Wondering if the high temps are drying out the air.
    The air is being taken from inside my house. It's still not the coolest but it's definitely better than from directly outside. The domes would help, but will only postpone dealing with the problem that ill face when the plants get bigger.
    What do you mean by intaking air passively?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

G' (30-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

In my small tent the extraction creates negative pressure so air is sucked in naturally through the passive intake vents so I'm not bothering using an intake fan.

The domes will help and as the plants get bigger they'll create a bit of humidity themselves. Might not be enough but it's a step in the right direction.

I've heard mixed reports but some people try frozen bottles of water or wet towels in front of fans.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In my small tent the extraction creates negative pressure so air is sucked in naturally through the passive intake vents so I'm not bothering using an intake fan.

The domes will help and as the plants get bigger they'll create a bit of humidity themselves. Might not be enough but it's a step in the right direction.

I've heard mixed reports but some people try frozen bottles of water or wet towels in front of fans.
    Okay so I understand what passive intake is. But what are the benefits of using that method as opposed to both an intake and an exhaust fan or just an intake fan?
    I'm going to try hang up a couple wet towels when I get home from work today and see if that helps. It's just hard to believe anything else would make a difference when such a powerful humidifier didn't make a difference...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

Dizzydave (29-10-18), G' (30-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,671 Times

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    Okay so I understand what passive intake is. But what are the benefits of using that method as opposed to both an intake and an exhaust fan or just an intake fan?
    I'm going to try hang up a couple wet towels when I get home from work today and see if that helps. It's just hard to believe anything else would make a difference when such a powerful humidifier didn't make a difference...

I used this method on my last grow worked a treat just hung a towel up with the bottom of it in a bucket of water to keep it drying out still had to dunk it daily but done the trick best of luck matey

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizzydave For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (29-10-18), G' (30-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Thanks

My main reason for going passive is cause of temps outside getting too low (I'd originally planned on in taking fresh outdoor air). Also saves a bit on electicity. As were approaching winter here the cabin air will be warmer so the air sucked it won't dip my temps so much. I'm also thinking I'll reduce the lights out period as the lights and equipment help keep temps steady. I expect i may still need to stick a timer on my radiator as it gets cooler.
    My grows been going 13 weeks... started it in the house during the summer so battled heat but now seasons have changed it seems perfect. Promised the wife future grows would be in the cabin so next grows gonna bring a whole new set of challenges since temps get down to 6 Celsius in there already lol

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My main reason for going passive is cause of temps outside getting too low (I'd originally planned on in taking fresh outdoor air). Also saves a bit on electicity. As were approaching winter here the cabin air will be warmer so the air sucked it won't dip my temps so much. I'm also thinking I'll reduce the lights out period as the lights and equipment help keep temps steady. I expect i may still need to stick a timer on my radiator as it gets cooler.
    My grows been going 13 weeks... started it in the house during the summer so battled heat but now seasons have changed it seems perfect. Promised the wife future grows would be in the cabin so next grows gonna bring a whole new set of challenges since temps get down to 6 Celsius in there already lol
    Okay so it's quite straight forward then, thank you.

Has anyone got any experience with DIY swamp coolers or evaporative coolers? They seem really easy to make and it looks like one could make a massive difference if I attach it to the intake ducting (from the outside/where the air is coming from) and then allow air to be drawn through it by just turning the exhaust fan on, hopefully cooling and humidifying the air in the process. Can anyone give any advice or anecdotes on these evaporative coolers or if you see a flaw in my plan at all?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'd do a combination...

Cut the base off a big plastic bottle to use as a dome over the plant. Get a spray bottle of water so you can mist it up when it looks dry inside.

Try the towel trick

Lower the extraction fan speed or switch it off till plants outgrow the domes

If you're growing autos then you can add more dark hours to lower temps... Might create more humidity... my science isn't great when I'm this baked lol

I was told not to direct fans at my cloth pots after watering as it would increase humidy... food for thought lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,224 Times

It's very difficult to keep a high RH when there is so little vegetation in the room and ambient RH is already low. I suggest using humidity domes for small seedlings, that will increase you RH. Also expect to have the opposite problem when the plants get big. I often go from around 30% RH in veg to 70-80% in flower (if I don't control it) due to the large amounts of vegetation.

Be prepared to invest in a dehumidifier later on in flowering.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReeferDankness For This Useful Post:

G' (30-10-18), GEORGE (30-10-18), Silkadin (29-10-18)

Thanks

I understand that this is a difficult thread and that there is most likely no one single simple easy answer. But if there's one thing I'd like to gain out of this thread before it dies is an answer to this question: How does one keep a stable and healthy humidity if all the air in the grow room is being exchanged once every minute?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    I understand that this is a difficult thread and that there is most likely no one single simple easy answer. But if there's one thing I'd like to gain out of this thread before it dies is an answer to this question: How does one keep a stable and healthy humidity if all the air in the grow room is being exchanged once every minute?
    The only way I've managed is by using an automated fan controller. I use an Ecotechnics Evolution controller. You wire your incoming and exhaust fans plus your heater into it, set your desired temps and rh and let it do the rest. In veg, I still have to use a standalone humidifier and in flower I still have to use a standalone dehumidifier but the controller does most of the legwork for you by adjusting your fans and heater to best reach your desired temps and rh.

I used to try do it manually and found it virtually impossible to maintain steady temps and rh, even with manual fan controllers...best of luck, mate!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast