Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Me vs Powdery Mildew

Thanks

Default Me vs Powdery Mildew

After all these weeks, my plants developed powdery mildew. I am going to try to ride them out for another 6 weeks. It is clear that I am going to lose a lot, if not all of the fan leaves. Question is - will I have enough leaf function to bring these babies home? My last plant was a ruin as I harvested too early. That we sends me to the tranquilizers every time! This time I am hoping to have enough life to get those trics nice and amber before chop. I plan to treat every few days if needed to slow down leaf attack. (I noticed that the spots and damage were way more noticeable under LED light compared to incan or twisty.) My guess is that I should have disinfected those pots before I reused them. The room was freshly washed and painted prior to this grow. Now - to figure out how to attach pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spots.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	367255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stretch.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	367256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lanky.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	367257  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maters View Post
    After all these weeks, my plants developed powdery mildew. I am going to try to ride them out for another 6 weeks. It is clear that I am going to lose a lot, if not all of the fan leaves. Question is - will I have enough leaf function to bring these babies home? My last plant was a ruin as I harvested too early. That we sends me to the tranquilizers every time! This time I am hoping to have enough life to get those trics nice and amber before chop. I plan to treat every few days if needed to slow down leaf attack. (I noticed that the spots and damage were way more noticeable under LED light compared to incan or twisty.) My guess is that I should have disinfected those pots before I reused them. The room was freshly washed and painted prior to this grow. Now - to figure out how to attach pics.
    My worst case of PM was brought into my house from some Eggplants I was growing so I feel the pain. A couple things as I'm not going to get too techy as I'm sure someone else probably will. Some people say toss it once you get it and others like myself deal with it and throw caution to the wind when the final smoke enters the lungs. PM will always be present once the plant has it but it can be suppressed so to speak. There are a couple of big money products you can buy that helps but I personally have used Hydrogen Peroxide diluted, and regular Milk diluted and both have been extremely effective and you probably have them on hand without having to buy anything else. I can attest to the fact they work for PM. I'm a fan of Neem oil as well but it should've been used early in veg to really be effective now as its more of a preventative measure. You will also need to (you prob guessed it) re-clean and disinfect your entire grow area. Never hesitate to ask for more info and good luck with evertyhing here on out

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spartacuss For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (29-10-18), creeperpark (20-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

If you have PM on the plants, they are already ruined, you have 2 choices, 1) chop them & completely treat your entire grow area, including all pots & equipment. 2) But a product call Fungus Fighter & treat the plants & entire grow area. The above product is systemic & will stay in the plants for quite some time. You will need to treat them & take cuttings if you want to continue the strain, the cuttings will need to be grow out & treated too. I would go at least 3 generations to ensure you rid them of the PM.
    The last thing you want is to grow them out into flower & then find it all over your bud, you can't smoke bud with PM, it will be very harmful to your lungs.
    One thing I can promise you is that PM can be beaten, but it will take a lot of work, I have had it before & have got rid of it, the only thing that worked was the Fungus Fighter. You can buy it on ebay/Amazon.

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Gaz (29-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

You got any photos showing the PM? U am not seeing any mould in the photos you posted?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

Gaz (29-10-18)

Thanks

Loki, thanks for the reply. I will post better pictures to show what I am calling PM. Why do you say smoking contaminated bud is bad for your health? My reading suggests otherwise. I know aspergillus is a problem but I thought that PM is a different kind of mold (fungus?). I have been spraying with 3% hydrogen peroxide and it seems to be removing some of the spots. Many leaves are seriously damaged and I am removing same. I will try some of the other cures folks use (potassium bicarbonate, milk, baking soda foliar washes, et al.) if I need to get more intense about it. I do plan on growing to completion and curing unless I lose so many fan leaves that the plants cannot survive for another 6 weeks. Hopefully I will still feel it will not be a health hazard and have a smoke report. If I am wrong about that, I will try to have my next-of-kin post an update on my condition lol.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maters For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (29-10-18), Loki (30-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Smoking the white mould spores is very bad for your lungs based on everything I have read. Rot (black mould) is much worse and can cause all sorts of health issues down the road.

I would not smoke any type of mould. White mould can be cleaned and used to make oil. Black mould straight into the bin.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

AND (27-11-18), creeperpark (20-12-18), M_C (29-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I'm sure Bud Lightyear suggested something for powdery mildew... but it would probably only be suitable in veg
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I'm sure Bud Lightyear suggested something for powdery mildew... but it would probably only be suitable in veg
    Rather than struggle with taking more pictures I can reference this youtub vid that looks exactly like my plant. OOOPS I can't post links yet. After doing more research I am more optimistic about saving this grow. I think many people consider Jorge Cervantes an expert on growing. His yotube at (search Jorge and PM) shows him washing the PM off with peroxide AFTER HARVEST!!. That makes me hope I can keep my girls healthy for long enough to reach harvest. Since my earlier peroxide spraying left white spots on my leaves, I will try baking soda mix next.

I continue to look for evidence that PM presents a health risk. So far I have not found any.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,075 Times

each to their own i suppose, i would not be smoking any mould for that matter but then again i will willing sand n grind n plane wood n metal n plastics!
    jorge is pretty cool with his videos n all but mate the talk where its at! ive learnt more shite here from the lads than that false bearded imposter could ever wish to teach me !! thats all ive to say about that!, the talk combines n elaborates on his teachings that where we excel at , helping others help themselves to grow puccka weed.
    skin it roll it lick it twist it.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

AND (27-11-18), creeperpark (20-12-18), maters (30-10-18)

Thanks

Me vs Powdery Mildew update - I treated with peroxide twice and once with baking soda. It must have worked because the PM did not spread to much. The fan leaf death was getting pretty severe so I chopped before I got the brown trics I wanted. I review more resources and found a little PM on the sugar leaves so I went with Jorge's peroxide washing treatment. I soaked for a few minutes in a lukewarm dilute peroxide solution. (1%?) After letting the wash water sit a while, I did see some small pools of PM floating. But nothing like the pond scum in Jorge's video. I hung the plants and paper bagged a few branches. I guess I had too much fan on the plants 'cuz they got pretty crispy in only a day in the 70 degree dark. My yield will be very low, mostly because I am a crappy gardener. But my sample of some early buds showed real promise. Very nice mild head high, no paranoia or racing. I am not good at curing so it may be a while before the hay smell dissipates. I will update as needed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to maters For This Useful Post:

M_C (27-11-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast