Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PC Case Grow Box Build using DIY Bridgelux LED strips 3500K

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,677 Times

Default PC Case Grow Box Build using DIY Bridgelux LED strips 3500K

Hey guys and gals here is the build log/guide for my PC case build as promised

So the general idea behind making a pc case into a grow box was as follows;
    • No free space in the house big enough to have a tent, wardrobe etc (the missus is happy for me to have enough space for a pc case
    • Rented property so dedicated grow room is a no go
    • Attic groom is far too involved and expensive atm - but will definitely be happening at some point
    • I have always had computer cases and pc parts laying around since I was a teen so no-one will ask questions about it lol.

Here is the build log I did for the light I will be using;
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...B-series-gen-2

Forgot to get pictures from the very start, but it should be pretty simple to follow along. Just ask me if you have any questions

I have already gutted the case of all pc components, removed the drive bay caddy by drilling out the pop rivets and lined the sides of the case with a reflective insulating camping mat (It was cheap and thought it should do the job, maybe £3.99 in B&M bargains UK) and added foil tape around the edges of the mat from where my pictures start.

Outside of the case to see what im working with;

Inside the case with the insulation mat lining;

I intend to use the power supply backplate as is and install a small led driver (you know the little white plastic jobbies) to power the fans, currently im planning a push-pull setup with carbon pellets in the middle for the exhaust - real ghetto carbon filter using 3/4 fans, 1 pulling, 1 pushing and 1/2 fan chassis in the middle filled with carbon pellets and wrapped in nylon tights. Still not sure on intake whether to keep it passive or add another fan.

Here is the power supply;

bog standard cheapo PSU

Open;

Please Please Please do NOT do this, as these PSU's can still hold quite a bit of power even after being unplugged (mine died about 3 years ago, so there is definitely no power running through it) Basically open (Don't open) the PSU remove the retaining screws, clip any cables you dont need and your left with a frame;

I only wanted the back plate with the IEC/Kettle connector so I used a dremel to cut the backplate from the rest of the PSU case;

Mounted the driver for the Led's on top of the case as it keeps the mains outside the case, and its a nice flat surface to mount to lol;

On a side note remember kids, screws that have been cut are extremely HOT, I forgot this and one of the screws popped off and melted right through the insulation mat, at least I now know that this stuff doesnt catch fire for give off a shit ton of smoke in case I get a fire lol;

The front panel on the case is removable to I popped it off ran the output and dimmer cables through the case behind the front panel and cut notched in the front panel for the cables to run through;

Fitted a 100k potentiometer on one of the front panel blanking plates for easy access;

This is the pot I will be using, had to do a little cutting to get it to fit but its in there ;

Here is how much room I have to work with, not alot I know but I WILL make it work lol;

Light shots;

Thats all for now but I will be keeping you guys updated as I add fans, 2nd driver, filters etc.

Let me know what you think guys, and if you have any questions let me know.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Motion For This Useful Post:

AND (05-11-18), CityDweller (05-11-18), Gaz (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18), JB (08-03-19), MR B-loom (06-11-18), Valentina (05-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Oh wow...!! Nice build you have there. Really interested to see your take on a carbon filter.

I had a similar case too, back in the day when the Nokia 8210 was all the rage!!
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (05-11-18), gardro (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18), Mr_Motion (05-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Oh wow...!! Nice build you have there. Really interested to see your take on a carbon filter.

I had a similar case too, back in the day when the Nokia 8210 was all the rage!!
    Thank you 🙂 yeah I don't have much confidence in my idea for a filter but it's the best I have with such a small space lol it will either work or I will get constant earache from the missus about the smell 😂

Yeah the case is ancient and a nightmare tbh, might be a good design having the rear I/O shield section part of the side panel for a pc but as a grow box it's a nightmare lol but hey we make do with what we have.

Ahhhh those were the days, where phone batteries were measured in days not hours, no-one even dreamed of replacing a phone screen and you didn't have to take out a loan to buy the latest model 😂

Sent from SPACE using LASERS
    Checkout my current grow - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...rip-light-auto

RQS Kush auto, bridgelux pc case grow box

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Motion For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (05-11-18), Gaz (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18), UpT0wn (05-11-18), Valentina (05-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

Looking sweet dude. Trying to get my head around the lights. 6 strips must put out some serious light
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (05-11-18), Gaz (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18), Mr_Motion (05-11-18), Valentina (05-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

I cant see any pics

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18), Mr_Motion (05-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UpT0wnSkunk View Post
    Looking sweet dude. Trying to get my head around the lights. 6 strips must put out some serious light
    Thanks dude, what you trying to get you head around brother?

Yeah I think it might be overkill for such a small space tbh, not 100% sure if I will even be able to run the full pelt 😢

Luckily I installed a potentiometer 😉

I mean afaik the gen2 bridgelux strips are only second to the sammy f-series strips in terms of output, @Gaz owns the crown for efficiency with his Q-series strips but to my understanding less light due to a lower diode density.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Motion For This Useful Post:

Gaz (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I cant see any pics
    Oh no.......you checking on tapa or the computer buddy?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Motion For This Useful Post:

Gaz (05-11-18), GEORGE (20-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Motion View Post
    Oh no.......you checking on tapa or the computer buddy?

On the website, I will try tappa

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-12-18), Mr_Motion (05-11-18)

Thanks

Nope tappa neither mate

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-12-18), Mr_Motion (05-11-18)

Thanks

See nada