Thread: Free Organic Seedling Trays?

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

Lightbulb Free Organic Seedling Trays?

Dunno why i didn't think about using them as seedlings/starter trays b4,
    Last edited by MonsterEnergy; 07-11-18 at 04:07 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

AND (07-11-18), Blue (07-11-18), CityDweller (07-11-18), Farmshop (07-11-18), G' (11-12-18), GEORGE (08-12-18), JayePotts (06-12-18), M_C (07-11-18), Trex (26-11-18), WhIpLaSh (07-11-18)

Thanks

I do not think that they are suitable for growing. Small will. They are better suited for soundproofing the room, checked!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayePotts For This Useful Post:

G' (11-12-18), GEORGE (08-12-18), MonsterEnergy (14-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Hard to say if the resin that is sprayed onto the fibres for those egg boxes is "organic" in the food sense.

I have heard of using egg shells as starting "cubes", but not egg boxes.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

G' (11-12-18), GEORGE (08-12-18), lipnobody (10-12-18), MonsterEnergy (14-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Hard to say if the resin that is sprayed onto the fibres for those egg boxes is "organic" in the food sense.

I have heard of using egg shells as starting "cubes", but not egg boxes.
    Something tells me that you have erroneous information about the resin on the fibers of these egg trays.
    I will describe to you the production process of these trays:
    To do this, take paper, cardboard, newspapers, magazines, and almost any goods from wood fibers.
    First, the paper is crushed in a special setting and mixed with hot water (temperature from 43-65 degrees Celsius). Then it becomes like a watery mixture ("pulp"), similar to oatmeal. Then it is passed through a filter where the garbage is sifted out. Then the molds are lowered into this “pulp”, then the injection molding molds remove the container from the molds and transfer them to the conveyor belt. The container is then moved to the oven for 12 minutes to dry, where the fibers are again glued together, forming a durable material.

Even according to the logic, there is no need for resin, the fibers after drying themselves stick together and do not need any help!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JayePotts For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (12-12-18), G' (15-12-18), GEORGE (08-12-18), MonsterEnergy (14-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

There is no resin or anything to worry about but just like with toilet paper rolls or peat pots there is a high chance of things getting moldy.

Ideally you want to use seedling trays that allow your seedlings to airprune at the bottom for a strongly branched seedling instead of one with a taproot that has been circling around
    Not sure if this is a good idea with autoflowers but with photoperiodic seeds it will definitely be an improvement.

Some drawings to illustrate the principle for those unfamiliar with it

p.s. these drawing depict a specific commercially available system that I have not used myself and are merely here to demonstrate the principle.
    Seedling trays with large open holes on the bottom do the exact same thing provided that you elevate them somehow so the roots encounter air. When placed on the open ground the roots would grow into the ground instead of airpruning and when placed on some sort of hard surface they can't penetrate then the roots will still cirlce round at the bottom of turn 180 degrees and grow back up.
    Last edited by Cleargreen; 12-12-18 at 09:35 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

G' (15-12-18), GEORGE (13-12-18), MonsterEnergy (14-12-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

this wasn't a serious post, i come across this video below

will definitely try it though, when i pop my next seeds in jan/feb
    also i don't water seedlings ever - i use a mister only 'damp medium never wet'

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

G' (15-12-18), GEORGE (14-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Well let us know how it goes MonsterEnergy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

G' (15-12-18), GEORGE (14-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

I've not tried egg trays for canna seedlings but have used them for tomato plants back in the day but i found if your using any type of heat that they dry out very quickly also i only ever sow 3 or 4 beans at a time so just go for 3'' pots, all the best G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (15-12-18), GEORGE (16-12-18)