Thread: Learn From My Mistakes, New Growers.

Thanks

Default Learn From My Mistakes, New Growers.

So I've been busy with setting up a new indoor grow room and things have been going relatively smoothly except for a couple persistent snags - temperatures are too high, humidity too low.
    I live in South Africa and it's pretty much summer now with temperatures reaching 35 Celsius some days. At the moment I don't have much money to spend so there's the air circulation system pulling air from inside my house and a swivelling fan inside the grow area - no aircon or climate control of any kind.
    Temperatures inside max out at 31 Celsius almost every day, dropping to around 22 at night with humidity being a consistent +-15% or so. I thought, "Its going to be a while before I can get an aircon in here so I might as well just try grow something, I know these are hardy buggers!" I've got some unknown seeds that I am planning on experimenting with before germinating the real deal just, in case.

This is the result, before I called it quits. Both plants are 6 weeks old.

Ive done a ton of research into what it takes to grow these girls and I'm certain I have my lighting, watering, air etc nailed close enough to where they need to be, which means that the state of these plants is almost entirely due to temperature being too high and the discrepancy between min and max being too large + extremely low humidity .

I just thought someone might find this interesting and hopefully it will allow others to learn from my mistakes and not waste any precious, precious seeds!
    Edit: Formatted for ease of reading.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by begone_thought; 27-11-18 at 08:37 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18), Trex (27-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Woopps little mishap eh haha

Get some quality soil bro . Perlite and some worm shit . Mix soil 50/50worm shit .then add 20% perlite . Ease up on the watering and youll get it bro .

Thats a good base mix for starters . Wont burn plants .

Enemy #1 ill tell ya is overwatering .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18), ggotch (27-11-18), M_C (27-11-18), Priapus (27-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Get some quality soil bro . Perlite and some worm shit . Mix soil 50/50worm shit .then add 20% perlite . Ease up on the watering and youll get it bro .
    He's in South Africa so what is available could well be different... No idea what the laws are and what is available.

Out of interest can you make your own compost? Could be that you have that going on outside, and potentially use that in a semi-enclosed grow area when it is ready?

I am not familiar with the soil texture so I can't say much. But your plants are certainly very small, considering they should be quite robust and don't need our intervention if they are given the chance to just do their thing.

I had a very low tech set up for increasing humidity indoors: I used a food box tub, propped up a couple of plastic chiller boards in the tub, and draped a wet flannel over the chiller boards - exactly the type that is made by Coleman and those outdoor supply manufacturers. And had a small fan blowing at the flannel. As the water evaporate, the humidity goes up and the temperature is brought down. It might be a micro climate, but that fixed my problem with high temps and low humidity. I had to change the ice-block/chiller board about twice a day in the grow area, but that brought down the humidity and instantly the plants did better. I think my temps was in the low 30s and humidity was also in the 30s and the plant hated it. Once the humidity was closer to 40%, she was much happier.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18), Priapus (27-11-18), Trex (28-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Also humidity needs to be 60%. So drop a dome or something over to increase the grow area humidity.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18), Trex (27-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Do you use an extraction fan to remove the hot air from the top of the grow space? If its strong enough to create negative pressure and intake air from the house faster passively it might help lower temps. Assuming the house doesnt get too warm. As soon as I lower my fan speed temps start climbing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Cancel that... just reread your other thread showing the setup.
    It's a massive room you have... thought about having a tent inside it so you can condition the air outside the tent before it's taken in?. Like you, I'm also still confused how humidifiers can be effective with such a high air exchange. Then again mine works but only cause I'm in a tiny tent with multiple fans blowing the mist over the plants 1st

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18)