Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are mites the end for my small grow?

GreenBalls Guest

Default Are mites the end for my small grow?

Firstly, sorry for not posting in "Pests" but there isn't much activity over there and I'm seeing this as a sort of general crisis.... I'll try to be brief:

- I got mites a couple months ago. Used Harkers which killed them all. I've just noticed a couple of plants have a few on them again.

- I did hours of reading last night, and the kind of comments that stuck in mind are:

"Getting rid of mites is impossible, you never really get rid of them"
    "In the end I gave up trying to rid them, now it's just about managing them"
    "I bleached my entire groom, didn't work, so i moved house"
    "They hide in floorbard cracks, pipes, anywhere"

- My problem with just managing them, is that even with just a few, I can look at dry buds through a loupe and see them scattered about, and for me the thought of smoking them is vile. It just gets wasted/chucked/hashed.

- Do I keep buying different products like Dr. Schimmer and flourowhatever, to spray the plants (even though the tent is in a large bedroom that could be hiding mites)...

- Or do I do what I'm currently considering which is count my losses and pack up completely? Bugs are the bane of my life and I'm not about to start a lifelong battle with spider mites...

Sorry if it's a stupid question but it feels kind of urgent, taking down the grow would be worse for the plants than disease or pests!

Looking forward to some wisdom and comfort. Cheers

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (03-12-18), GEORGE (02-12-18), JB (07-02-19), SmobyToker#1 (31-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,169 Times

What country are you in?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

G' (03-12-18), GEORGE (02-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Simple mate!!! IPM
    Weekly spray of 100% cold pressed neem oil quality of oil matters here, make sure it’s emulsified properly, now you have mites I would spray every 72 hours for at least 5 times. You didn’t break the cycle last time!
    I have had mites and it’s a myth you can’t get rid of them but I’ll guarantee you’ll never get a problem again as long as you stick to a ipm programme
    Good luck
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Bin man (31-01-19), G' (03-12-18), Gaz (31-01-19), GEORGE (02-12-18), lipnobody (01-12-18), M_C (01-12-18), prime (31-01-19), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (12-02-20), SmobyToker#1 (31-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby View Post
    What country are you in?
    UK mate

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Simple mate!!! IPM
    Weekly spray of 100% cold pressed neem oil quality of oil matters here, make sure it’s emulsified properly, now you have mites I would spray every 72 hours for at least 5 times. You didn’t break the cycle last time!
    I have had mites and it’s a myth you can’t get rid of them but I’ll guarantee you’ll never get a problem again as long as you stick to a ipm programme
    Good luck
    Redz
    I saw your IPM post and made the neem mix just recently whilst dealing with gnats. It's good to hear that it's a myth!

Let's say the neem oil kills the current lot and their eggs (I believe you that it will)

The tent is in a large bedroom full of stuff, all I keep thinking is I have no idea the extent of mites in the bedroom etc, where they're hiding, how far out they travel.
    I could do a thorough cleaning, maybe drop a fumer, but people say this doesn't really keep them away for good...

Is there realistic possibility of getting the tent and surrounding bedroom free of hibernating mites? Any advice here?
    Last time round I used Harkers 3 times, then after I put pots and stuff in a bath of (weak) bleach water.

Maybe I'm worrying about some bullshit that hasn't even happened yet; it's good to know that others have completely overcome them.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (03-12-18), GEORGE (02-12-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    UK mate

I saw your IPM post and made the neem mix just recently whilst dealing with gnats. It's good to hear that it's a myth!

Let's say the neem oil kills the current lot and their eggs (I believe you that it will)

The tent is in a large bedroom full of stuff, all I keep thinking is I have no idea the extent of mites in the bedroom etc, where they're hiding, how far out they travel.
    I could do a thorough cleaning, maybe drop a fumer, but people say this doesn't really keep them away for good...

Is there realistic possibility of getting the tent and surrounding bedroom free of hibernating mites? Any advice here?
    Last time round I used Harkers 3 times, then after I put pots and stuff in a bath of (weak) bleach water.

Maybe I'm worrying about some bullshit that hasn't even happened yet; it's good to know that others have completely overcome them.
    Neem oil doesn’t just kill them bugs mate, they hate the smell of it so tend to stay away from any where that smells like it. Keep spraying every few days like red said, and they won’t come back. You just have to make sure your mix is right. If the liquid isn’t warm enough, the oil isn’t mixed in the water properly and won’t be as effective. Just keep at it, they will go, it’s just not a quick fix like we would prefer

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (03-12-18), Gaz (31-01-19), GEORGE (02-12-18), JB (07-02-19), redisiel (31-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Neem oil doesn’t just kill them bugs mate, they hate the smell of it so tend to stay away from any where that smells like it. Keep spraying every few days like red said, and they won’t come back. You just have to make sure your mix is right. If the liquid isn’t warm enough, the oil isn’t mixed in the water properly and won’t be as effective. Just keep at it, they will go, it’s just not a quick fix like we would prefer
    Gotcha, thanks. I've sprayed them and will keep my fingers crossed. Cheers

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (03-12-18), GEORGE (05-12-18), JB (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

I've had them brother and neem oil if used correctly at intervals will get rid of them, make sure you sterilize your kit and grow space after each harvest and i always spray pots and grow space with neem oil when i start a new grow keeps the little mo fo's away, all the best mukka, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18)

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    I've had them brother and neem oil if used correctly at intervals will get rid of them, make sure you sterilize your kit and grow space after each harvest and i always spray pots and grow space with neem oil when i start a new grow keeps the little mo fo's away, all the best mukka, G'.
    Cheers G. Ive just been through 2 days of thoroughly cleaning the tents and equipment. Threw away worst affected plants. Got a few young ones in there with no visible mites. Will spray plants and tent with neem, every 3 days for the next 2-3 weeks or more.
    Hope it all works.

Thanks for all the advice.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (10-12-18), gardro (05-12-18), GEORGE (05-12-18), JB (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

It worked for me brother just be careful with your lights after spraying you don't wanna burn them, all the best bro', G'.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

Gaz (31-01-19), GEORGE (10-12-18)

Thanks

Dr schimmel spider mite terminator is best I’ve used for spider mites one application and they are gone forever

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bin man For This Useful Post:

Gaz (31-01-19), GEORGE (31-01-19), JB (07-02-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast