Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Require Help/Advice With Grow Room Problems + Video

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    So here's an update: no change after alterations yesterday. Here you can see the temp+humidity at 6:40am (I'm in South Africa if anyone's interested). I've also jimmied a quick change - I've basically attached the inlet directly onto the back of the cooler like I said I would in one of my previous posts. I've also changed my light time so that it's off from 10am - 4pm and hopefully by skipping the mid-day heat I can bring that max down below 30c.
    More updates coming later on when I get back from work.

Thank you so much so far to everyone who's taken an interest in helping. Been feeling a bit lonely in my quest these past few weeks and it's nice to know there's some support ^.^

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That aint gonna work unfortunetly . It will however take moisture out of the room it is in though .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-12-18), GEORGE (04-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    That aint gonna work unfortunetly . It will however take moisture out of the room it is in though .

Can you give some reasoning behind why you reckon it won't work?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post

Again I just need to clarify, it's an evaporative cooler not a dehumidifier as it sounds like you're describing a dehumidifier. I wish I had the problem of too high humidity, haha.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    Again I just need to clarify, it's an evaporative cooler not a dehumidifier as it sounds like you're describing a dehumidifier. I wish I had the problem of too high humidity, haha.

Evaporative cooler is your entire problem. It cools by dehumidifying the air. It's not used to drop the temperature so much as turn it into a dry heat. It cools a little as a side effect. I don't know what your ambient baseline temperature is without the cooler, but I know that your humidity would be much higher, as the swamp cooler u have wouldn't be sucking all the humidity out. I'm now going to read the rest of the thread and see if I can help more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Ok I watched your video. Get rid of that swamp cooler and get yourself a 5 or 6000 btu window air conditioning unit. Once the temps come down then worry about the humidity. If u still have problems after that, because I'm assuming from the accent you are in the southern hemisphere, south Africa probably, you are in an arid place. You may have to get a humidifier in.

Hopefully this will help. You may also want to consider putting in some insulation to help the a/c out. It's a small enough space for this to work.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Ok I watched your video. Get rid of that swamp cooler and get yourself a 5 or 6000 btu window air conditioning unit. Once the temps come down then worry about the humidity. If u still have problems after that, because I'm assuming from the accent you are in the southern hemisphere, south Africa probably, you are in an arid place. You may have to get a humidifier in.

Hopefully this will help. You may also want to consider putting in some insulation to help the a/c out. It's a small enough space for this to work.

Okay, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. Unless I'm disgustingly misinformed, in which case I wholly apologise, this isn't how a swamp/evaporative cooler works (at least not mine, or any I've researched). Simply put, a pump continuously transports water from a 9L tank at the bottom of the cooler to the top and deposits it over a set of corrugated cooling pads, soaking them. Hot, dry air is sucked in through the back of the cooler, over and through the saturated cooling pads thereby being cooled and humidified due the water in the soaked cooling pads being evaporated, before being pumped out the front of the cooler as cooler, more humid air.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that my resting relative humidity (with the extraction fans on, and nothing else) sat at +-15%. The humidity you're seeing in my latest photos are what I'm getting after adding the dry-wall division and the cooler.

Yes, I am South African, I mentioned so in a previous post in this thread.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-12-18), GEORGE (05-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Evaporative coolers have never been much good...they only work well when in a larger room really. Its all down to ambient temps/humidity of the room they're in, temp of the water you use etc. even if using relatively frozen water, the ambient temp of your room will warm it up in a few minutes making the air it releases slightly warmer each time until the water is the same temp as the room, guessing at 35°, this wouldn't take long

It will drop temps but not even close to 10° drop you need...a portable air conditioner would be the better option but outside of the room as they heat up. Air would then be super chilled although you would have to find a sweet spot as they dont like being constantly turned on & off

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (04-12-18), CityDweller (04-12-18), GEORGE (05-12-18), Jeff (04-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times

The window or portable ac are your best options to cool the room but they will also lower humidity. You would need a humidifier as well and it will need to be filled often. A cool mist humidifier is the best way to go in my opinion.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18), Jeff (04-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

I lived in the middle East for a while. Air con in my house felt like a fridge sometimes but they were about 40cm x 60cm in each room and protruded out the wall to the outside. Cheap units but highly effective at cooling. Can you turn up the air con in the room you intake from?
    The dry air in your part of the world is a bugger, but if the air going into the room cools it enough then u could possibly lower the extraction a bit during veg so that if you do get humidity up in the room with a mister it isn't all sucked out immediately.

Intake from a mini freezer? Lol

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18), Jeff (04-12-18), Priapus (04-12-18)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2