Thread: Coco key points

Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,170 Posts

Question Coco key points

Hey Macky, I have been reading up on the coco threads and have some paper knowledge on what it is and how to go about it. But would you mind taking a look at what I am thinking and let me know if I am just plain wrong or anything else? Would love your ideas on this. Thanks.

1. So as a medium, it has the right air:solids ratio so it can't get waterlogged. "Over water" (with the right feeds and concentrations and pH) by about 10% 2-3 times a day and the plants should fly.

2. The feeds can be organic as well as salt based.

3. Never let it go bone dry.

4. Never let it sit in its own run off. "Drain to waste" or for example use that to feed normal plants so less ferts get into the bigger ecosystem, so rivers don't get clogged with algae and then the fish die and all that.

5. Coco can hold onto salts so plain water flush can be useful...? Greenhouse Seeds seem to do that once a week for their plants on YouTube. Would that be a good ballpark figure?

6. If there was a drip feed system, how much do pot size matter? Or would a wet-dry cycle like in soil be good?

7. Pests like dry coco so an IPM is ideal but is it necessary to have yellow fly tape from the start? (Okay, this might be a stupid question because fly paper "hurt" less than having to deal with a preventable problem.)

8. Airpots (those "hedgehog" pots) vs normal pots? Are Airpots necessary?

9. Training. Do training methods matter?

10. In light of pests and salt build up, would coco be better suited for plants with a shorter flowering cycle? In other words, if someone were to grow a Neville's Haze or one of those 16-week flowering sativas, would the odds be good? Yes, I am playing with the idea of growing a Neville's Haze in coco, in my fun sized tent.

Thanks, Macky!!
    Fight for your health.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Macky (04-12-18), Trex (04-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,280 Times in 11,796 Posts

Not to butt in valentina . I wouldnt use organic nutes in coco as they are much braoder range Less complete in certain aspects . Measurijg e.c and ph is absolutly impossible all depending . etc . Organic nutes showin an e.c value of .3 can be worth 6e.c with coco nutes for example .

Hydro and coco nutes are more precisely measured . But thats just my .2c .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Macky (04-12-18), MrChedHead (05-12-18), Valentina (04-12-18)

Thanks

Ohh shit sorry Macky i didnt know this was under your section bud .
    Just thought valentina dropped a thread in random place

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Macky (04-12-18), Valentina (04-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,801 Times in 7,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Ohh shit sorry Macky i didnt know this was under your section bud .
    Just thought valentina dropped a thread in random place

All good mate, no problem man

'You're not to blame, you're just a human, a victim of the insane'
    John Lennon

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Trex (04-12-18), Valentina (04-12-18)

Thanks

I’d agree with trex, with the organic thing, better to use salts based nuits.

Airpots are awesome for coco. The roots grow better, and more air can get to them too. The coco also dries out faster.

You shouldn’t get many issues with bugs in coco. But it does become more likely as the medium is kept constantly wet.

Some people like to flush their coco half way through the grow, some like to flush it once every two weeks.

Unless I find a problem, I don’t feel the need to flush, to keep the coco at a standard level is best, the plant gets used to the concentration of food and will eat well. Just up the food little bits at a time ( 0.2 points on your ec meter)

Auto feeding is good too, but it can get a bit more complex. Hand watering once a day, with ten percent run off is the way to go.

Did I cover everything? Please elaborate on more questions if there is anything un answered or not answered with enough info for you

Coco is awesome, and if you have never grown in coco, you have to try it just once. Really is a great grow medium! And so easy to keep control of

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (04-12-18), hotshot (04-12-18), Trex (04-12-18)

Thanks

Yes, grow the Neville’s haze in coco, it’ll be fine. It gets better with age you can always clean out the coco with a good flush and make it nutrient void again, so it doesn’t matter how long a plant takes, as you have full control of the medium.

Expect them to grow faster than a soil grow does though, especially when feeding every day.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (04-12-18), hotshot (04-12-18), Trex (04-12-18), Valentina (04-12-18)

Thanks

Hey Trex, it's cool. Always nice to hear the ideas of a more competent and experienced grower!

And Macky, thanks, as always. I think I am pretty comfy with this coco thing now. My last 2 grows have had coco mixed in them and both had issues early on. So salts from the fibre itself could be the issue, which means that when/if I do I'll need to rinse them out more.

Other than that, I was really referring to FACE's post under the older/other coco section regarding the use of organic nutes. There's gonna be pros and cons either way so I am fine with things not being set in stone, as long as the plants are happy, I am sure everyone would be happy, and that is the main thing. And I think you know me well enough that I would be that mad one who does it semi-salted LOL.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Macky (04-12-18), Trex (04-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Hey Trex, it's cool. Always nice to hear the ideas of a more competent and experienced grower!

And Macky, thanks, as always. I think I am pretty comfy with this coco thing now. My last 2 grows have had coco mixed in them and both had issues early on. So salts from the fibre itself could be the issue, which means that when/if I do I'll need to rinse them out more.

Other than that, I was really referring to FACE's post under the older/other coco section regarding the use of organic nutes. There's gonna be pros and cons either way so I am fine with things not being set in stone, as long as the plants are happy, I am sure everyone would be happy, and that is the main thing. And I think you know me well enough that I would be that mad one who does it semi-salted LOL.
    Salt based food are available to the plant immediately. Organic foods need to be broken down by microbes before they’re available. If you can keep a good level of microbes in the coco, it might work, but the nuits will probably be washed out by the next feed before they even get to the stage where the plant can eat them, and you’ll need salt foods to start with.... which effect the microbes too.

Best to stick with salt based nuits in full coco grows

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Valentina (04-12-18)

Thanks

Oh and rinse the fuck out of coco before you use it. I like to rinse it in a bucket, and let it sit for five mins. I take out the light stuff that floats to the top, and get rid of the heavy shit that sinks. Real nice clean fluffy coco then, plants love it

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Valentina (04-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Salt based food are available to the plant immediately. Organic foods need to be broken down by microbes before they’re available. If you can keep a good level of microbes in the coco, it might work, but the nuits will probably be washed out by the next feed before they even get to the stage where the plant can eat them, and you’ll need salt foods to start with.... which effect the microbes too.

Best to stick with salt based nuits in full coco grows
    Oh and rinse the fuck out of coco before you use it. I like to rinse it in a bucket, and let it sit for five mins. I take out the light stuff that floats to the top, and get rid of the heavy shit that sinks. Real nice clean fluffy coco then, plants love it
    Gotcha. Yeah, fair point about having a microbe colony IN the coco. I kinda thought the friendly little critters would probably claw onto the coco fibres and roots, but that is just my thinking and I can't see risking it with a half-year plant be exactly worth the risk.

Cool, salt nutes and coco fibres ready to go. And shoot what to do with that organic CBD grow... I'm gonna need a crow bar to get them in and out once this grow takes off.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

hotshot (04-12-18), Trex (04-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 802 Posts

My coco rinse experience was pretty informative. I started with ec .4 runoff and ended at .01 with r/o water and several rinses.

I used a 3 gallon fabric planter bag in a 5 gallon bucket in the bathtub and put the runoff in the toilet. I lucked out with my coco consistency. It was extremely fine, fluffy and even throughout. I used another 5 gallon bucket and a 10" netpot as a drain system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

hotshot (05-12-18), Trex (05-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    My coco rinse experience was pretty informative. I started with ec .4 runoff and ended at .01 with r/o water and several rinses.

I used a 3 gallon fabric planter bag in a 5 gallon bucket in the bathtub and put the runoff in the toilet. I lucked out with my coco consistency. It was extremely fine, fluffy and even throughout. I used another 5 gallon bucket and a 10" netpot as a drain system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Cool all set . Just dojt let it dry out . I noticed when i do letnit dry out . It will pull humdity from the air . Absord any salts in that humidty and have to flush it again

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

hotshot (05-12-18), Macky (05-12-18), Valentina (07-12-18)