Thread: help! sick autoflower seedling

Thanks

Default help! sick autoflower seedling

Hi All!

i have a sick seedling as mentioned in the title, its had a rough time, due to my incompetence or a bum seed, i'm not sure. I germinated 4 other seeds of this strain & none popped except this. I've been experimenting a bit, as you'll see below, i've tried a few things & tbh i'm just trying to make sure i'm on the right path now.

i spoke to the guys who rep'd the seeds & they've been really good about it.

quick summarry, popped all of the plants in the pics in RO water, abt 12-24 hrs then to damp paper towel for +- another 24hrs. kept dark & at 26deg C & abt 65 % rel hum. other 2 plants in pics are an unknown sativa & an indica (judging by leaves - may be hybrids), sharing the same enviroment & loving life so far, started 2 weeks before the auto so i had plants to "practice" LST & HST on.

from day one its been slow, slow out the shell, slow to form a proper tap root, put into coco str8 from paper towel, PH'd 5.8 water with a small amount of Mg & Ca less than 100ppm. blah blah blah as below template.

(see the potatoes in the pots? testing for fungus gnats - caught a few flying around my plants, on sticky pads) have also had a very light spider mite problem, which (fingers crossed i've gotten rid of) i used 3 doses of pyrithrum via foliar spray, started 10ml/1l then 15 for the 2nd spray & 20ml for the 3rd over about 9 days - this may have made contact with the leaves of the seedling, i also used a foliar feed @ about a 1/4 mix which may have hit the seedling - i also used this to microdose the coco for the seeling (less than 2 ml every 3 days)

i gave it a 1st feed of 1/4 strength with a bit more calmag, then i flushed the medium about a week ago when i saw the first signs of nute burn, gave it about 4 days then gave it a light feeding with a bit more calmag & the new growth seems fine, but i'm still worried that it hasnt quite spread to the upper leaves yet.

i keep the lights between 10-15cm above the plants, its a closet grow & i dont really want to go splash out on a shit load of equipment until i decide if i want carry on with growing, so i dont have a huge amount of control over the enviro but specs below.

please help!

Soil or hydro or coco: coco

Strain: kush n cheese auto feminized

Photo or Auto: auto

plant age: +- 18 days

pot size: +- 500ml

has it been repotted? and when?: no

nutes or additives used and how often for soil: nutriplex hydroponics , 300ppm, 1.2 ec, 5.8ph RO water

Air temps (max min): 30deg C Max 22 deg min

Res temps (max min): ??? water temp? room temp as above

humidity: (unknown at canopy level - between 30 & 80%

lighting type and wattage (hps, led, cfl): CFL 2x 125W

Light schedule: 20-4

ph level: 5.8

EC (hydro and coco only): 1.2

Background EC.

feed schedule and nutes (for hydro and coco) : feed when pot is dry abt an inch down & or when pot feels light
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto - 4 days ago (2).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	368644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto - today (2).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	368646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trained plants sharing the same environment (2).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	368648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trained plants sharing the same environment (3).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	368649  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hybridson For This Useful Post:

AND (05-12-18), GEORGE (05-12-18), MonsterEnergy (04-12-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

might simply be the a runt that will grow slow no matter what, it does happen rather often
    if u pop 5 seeds there's usually that one that's a pain with slower growth, nutrient sensative etc etc

ur other girls look fine although stretched badly,
    have you got the bugs under control??

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

AND (05-12-18), GEORGE (05-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy View Post
    might simply be the a runt that will grow slow no matter what, it does happen rather often
    if u pop 5 seeds there's usually that one that's a pain with slower growth, nutrient sensative etc etc

ur other girls look fine although stretched badly,
    have you got the bugs under control??
    i tried to pop 5 but only this one made it! all of the plants you see did stretch initially (CFL?), i moved them all away from the light, as i first misdiagnosed the seedling with light burn. i'll transplant it in about 2 weeks & bury the excess stem, (Sickling)I dont think its too bad though? abt 4 inches with 5 nodes? may be the camera angle that makes it look bad, was trying to get the burn marks on the 1st set of true leaves.

the other 2 plants are different strains from seeds i got from some outdoor (in south africa so seeded outdoor is common), the one strecthed crazy (sativa?) the other didnt as much

Bugs - i think i do, i havent seen spider mites for more than 2 weeks, & i've only seen a few adult gnats (caught maybe 10 in 2 weeks), have a fan on over the plants & diatemaceous on top of the coco covered with perlite, have been spraying with biogrow's pyrithrum mix (not seedling).

Potatoes in the coco for about 8 hrs now 16 to go, then will check for larvae - i believe they can cause similar issues as i've experienced.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hybridson For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18), MonsterEnergy (05-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18), Kurdt (05-12-18), MonsterEnergy (05-12-18), Priapus (05-12-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

until the bugs are sorted you'll have problems with patchy/dotted leaves
    with cfl lights it's really the closer the better

as a side not, since ur using cfl's 250w, u would benefit greatly from more training 'scrog screen'
    so when you do flower u'll get more than just one large bud at the top since cfl's have no penetration unlike a hid/led

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

I had a runty skunk that I let live. It's now bushy, beautiful and full of buds. Some indica phenotypes even within the same strain are much more compact. They all look good, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,482 Times

Plants are very very leggy. Ive done 250w CFL grow, and the lights need to literally be about 2 inches from the plant. For leggy plants i would suggest trying to add some side lighting also. Just hang a bulb at the sides

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Priapus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-12-18)