Thread: Why does soil and coco have same recommended ec/ppm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GreenBalls Guest

Default Why does soil and coco have same recommended ec/ppm?

Probably a noobish question but I can't figure it out.

I've only used coco so far. I've now got one small plant in soil, and I've been looking for a general ec guide so I know how much to feed it.

So why is the soil ec range (1.2-1.6 sort've thing) the same as I've followed for coco?

Shouldn't there be a significant difference, considering coco is inert / free of minerals? I would expect to have seen lower ec levels for soil.

Unless, soil growers measure the ec of their soil and deduct it from the nutes, but I've never seen or heard of that on growing sites before.

Hope I'm making sense....

Cheers
    Greenbollocks

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-12-18), Ironman (06-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Hi mate, not many soil growers use Ec as a measurement. It's really a coco/hydro way of measuring.

As a soil grower, I use plain water for the first couple of weeks as there is enough food in the soil for that period. After that I read the plant and when the leaves start to pale slightly I add 2ml per ltr of nutes. If they green up again after then I continue with that measurement and only adjust if they get pale again or if the leaf tips show burns.

It's all about reading the plant in soil mate

Sent from Thames Iron works

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18)

GreenBalls Guest

Perfect answer thanks v much mate

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

With Coco mediums . The feeds are directly absorbed . Its basically growing in water and air so to speak .

With organics . Theres alot of slow release nutrients in the fertilizer dependin on what you get . Hence the low numbers of organic fertilizer since by law a fertilizer maker can only aevertise what is instantly available and soluble (doesnt apply to soil amendmants ) . They can have 10x the amount of npk and secondaries and traces . But need to break down before being available to the plant by the soils ecosystem . Measuring e.c is pointless unless you make worm castings tea or bat guano tea or worm castings tea as most nutrients are shaken violently and dissolved . Even then its just for a rough estimate ... a rough guideline so to speak .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    With Coco mediums . The feeds are directly absorbed .
    Thanks, that's interesting, I didn't realise coco and soil were *such* different ball games in terms of nutrient delivery!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18), Trex (09-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    Thanks, that's interesting, I didn't realise coco and soil were *such* different ball games in terms of nutrient delivery!
    Think coco as hydroponics . Its completly inert . Hold alot of water .8x its weight and i rekon 10-20x more air ... along those line anywase .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18)