Thread: Need some advise on how to change out the system in RDWC

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Need some advise on how to change out the system in RDWC

Need some advise on how to change out the system in RDWC. Living in the north uk in the winter if the water pipes aren't frozen the water is extremely cold. My question is how do I do a res change without shocking the plants with ice cold water. I have 2 seperate 8 pot systems, one for veg one for flower. The flower system is 8 X 45 litre tubs with same size epicenter and a larger tank feeding the epicenter. The full system holds around 200 litres.

I am still in the veg system just now but will need to move them in next few days. I can't get hot water to my grow room unless I lug it in buckets. I have aquarium heaters to get the water up to temperature and keep it there but it takes hours.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

2. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    Need some advise on how to change out the system in RDWC. Living in the north uk in the winter if the water pipes aren't frozen the water is extremely cold. My question is how do I do a res change without shocking the plants with ice cold water. I have 2 seperate 8 pot systems, one for veg one for flower. The flower system is 8 X 45 litre tubs with same size epicenter and a larger tank feeding the epicenter. The full system holds around 200 litres.

I am still in the veg system just now but will need to move them in next few days. I can't get hot water to my grow room unless I lug it in buckets. I have aquarium heaters to get the water up to temperature and keep it there but it takes hours.
    Well u could move. Or u can let the water sit out until it gets warmer.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-12-18), toblue (13-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Well u could move. Or u can let the water sit out until it gets warmer.
    I ain't movin and where do I let 200l of water sit.

I can get it up to temperature initially but if I need to change the full system every 3 weeks what then?
    Last edited by toblue; 13-12-18 at 10:10 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-12-18), Jeff (13-12-18), M_C (13-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I ain't movin and where do I let 200l of water sit.
    Grab 10, 20L buckets. Well u don't want to fill completely. So 10 buckets at 17L and you're almost there. U don't want to let the roots go dry, so u can use less buckets as long as the bottom of the root balls are in the water. Just have at least probably 5, 20 L buckets ready to go when you pump the water out, u can probably manage with just 5, if you have more limited space.

They don't have to come all the way to room temp. 16c should be fine.

I wouldn't have the root balls out of the water more than about 20 minutes though. Less is better.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-12-18), toblue (14-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Grab 10, 20L buckets. Well u don't want to fill completely. So 10 buckets at 17L and you're almost there. U don't want to let the roots go dry, so u can use less buckets as long as the bottom of the root balls are in the water. Just have at least probably 5, 20 L buckets ready to go when you pump the water out, u can probably manage with just 5, if you have more limited space.

They don't have to come all the way to room temp. 16c should be fine.

I wouldn't have the root balls out of the water more than about 20 minutes though. Less is better.
    Thanks Jeff, Been thinking about this last night and toying with the idea of getting a larger feed tank maybe 180 litre blue barrel then just letting it run down before a change out and filling it a day before so I can preheat the nutes and just run it in as soon as I drain.

I have read some people do zero changeouts as in flower the plants are drinking so much that the turnover does it for you. My only problem with this is residual nutrients that the plants aren't using sitting in the system and building up. I would of course need a change out for flush and maybe a cooler nutrient solution would be beneficial at this stage.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-12-18), Jeff (14-12-18)

Thanks

Maybe a fishtank heater might help, get a good 200-300w one

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swansneck For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-12-18), toblue (14-12-18)