Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Successfully growing in tiny pots

GreenBalls Guest

Default Successfully growing in tiny pots

Long story short, I have a bunch of seeds that could be any combination of auto/photo/hermy/male/fem/good/shite. They're probably rubbish, but curiosity has got the better of me and I want to grow a few and see what I get.

I haven't got space for proper pots, so at the moment they're each in a mini seedling pot, 250ml or whatever, and I'd like to pretty much leave them in those (however many end up keepers).

I know that people out there are growing plants out of little plastic 'solo' cups. But I just imagine the plants getting root bound pretty quickly.

How can I successfully grow a mini plant out of these small pots, without them getting rootbound and dying?

I found something the other day that mentioned trimming the roots, but I don't really understand how I'd do that.

Thanks

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (20-12-18), CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19), tom222 (20-12-18), Valentina (20-12-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    Long story short, I have a bunch of seeds that could be any combination of auto/photo/hermy/male/fem/good/shite. They're probably rubbish, but curiosity has got the better of me and I want to grow a few and see what I get.

I haven't got space for proper pots, so at the moment they're each in a mini seedling pot, 250ml or whatever, and I'd like to pretty much leave them in those (however many end up keepers).

I know that people out there are growing plants out of little plastic 'solo' cups. But I just imagine the plants getting root bound pretty quickly.

How can I successfully grow a mini plant out of these small pots, without them getting rootbound and dying?

I found something the other day that mentioned trimming the roots, but I don't really understand how I'd do that.

Thanks
    Using fabric pot, or air pots, will prevent your roots getting bound, as they will prune when they get to air, instead of spiralling around like in a plastic pot.

Stick with small auto strain, you might be alright. But you're not going to get massive plants

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (20-12-18), CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Macky Guest

Maybe try using a long try across the whole floor space, give it width if you can't give it depth.... 2l ice cream tub even lol. Use your initiative mate, the bigger pot you can manage the better

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (20-12-18), CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), lipnobody (10-02-19), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

They can be root bound but not die.

Keeping on yanking them out of their pots or cups to cut roots would probably stress them all out and hermie them all.

Depends on what you have in mind IF you find something that you want to keep or grow big, IMO.

I have grown them in 4-inch pots to maturity with no issues. The plants were proportionally small, but they lived and flowered fine. The biggest leaves were about 1.5 inch across. Kinda cute to be honest.

How I would do it if I wanted such a project: Keep them close to the lamp without burning them, 18/6 light cycle, 9 seeds at a time to stay forum friendly AND have them lined up in a neat 3 x 3 grid.

Throw out any duds and start the other seeds. Take clones if there aren't too many. Keep the keepers and flower those through to chop.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (20-12-18), CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Thanks for the great advice.
    Basically they're already planted into the little .3l square pots. (I did just look to see if you can get air pruning pots for seedlings, but they don't seem to come smaller than 1l. They'd be great though! Spesh for transplanting autos!)

The reason I'm keeping in small pots is I've only got space amongst my main plants for a little propagator tray with a few mini pots lined up. If say just one is a keeper, I can give it a bigger pot.
    But for the moment I need to grow a few til I know their sex and flowering type etc.
    I guess I'm being optimistic about finding more than one keeper.

Glad to hear that rootbound doesn't necessarily mean death. I'll give them lots of light and see how it goes.
    Maybe Cannazyme in feeds might help too?
    Anyway, stoned and rambling... thanks again

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (20-12-18), CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19), Valentina (20-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Thanks for the great advice.
    Basically they're already planted into the little .3l square pots. (I did just look to see if you can get air pruning pots for seedlings, but they don't seem to come smaller than 1l. They'd be great though! Spesh for transplanting autos!)

The reason I'm keeping in small pots is I've only got space amongst my main plants for a little propagator tray with a few mini pots lined up. If say just one is a keeper, I can give it a bigger pot.
    But for the moment I need to grow a few til I know their sex and flowering type etc.
    I guess I'm being optimistic about finding more than one keeper.

Glad to hear that rootbound doesn't necessarily mean death. I'll give them lots of light and see how it goes.
    Maybe Cannazyme in feeds might help too?
    Anyway, stoned and rambling... thanks again
    Don't do more than 10 plants at a time. It's a hard rule here and will get u da boot.

If you are in the UK I don't know what to tell u. If US, I do. 0.3L airpots on Amazon. Though honestly, get some cheapie liter pots or better yet, chop the tops off 2L bottles.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

British green (22-02-19), C-Rex (20-12-18), CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,374 Times

Nice to meet ya!

As far as I can tell the issue with small grows is two fold both caused by a smaller volume of grow medium.

1. You have less food to leave your plant in. That means you have to feed it more in smaller amounts.

2. Smaller space means less room for feeding errors. You'll need to use nutes as soil wont keep up with the demand and with a smaller medium volume you have to be precise in measuring.

Im curious about these unknown seeds. Are they out of a sack or something?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), GEORGE (20-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Don't do more than 10 plants at a time. It's a hard rule here and will get u da boot.

If you are in the UK I don't know what to tell u. If US, I do. 0.3L airpots on Amazon. Though honestly, get some cheapie liter pots or better yet, chop the tops off 2L bottles.
    Thanks mate, yeah I'm sticking to under 10. You really got my hopes up there, but I had a look on the US amazon and it looks like you might've seen the 0.3gal (1l) pots... I have a couple of those actually, but I really wish they made seedling ones! You did give me an idea of using 500ml water bottles and cutting nr the top... they wouldn't increase the footprint, but they'd be much deeper.
    If I do something like that, I'm not sure I'd want to un-plant these seeds now?

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousaurusRex View Post
    Nice to meet ya!

As far as I can tell the issue with small grows is two fold both caused by a smaller volume of grow medium.

1. You have less food to leave your plant in. That means you have to feed it more in smaller amounts.

2. Smaller space means less room for feeding errors. You'll need to use nutes as soil wont keep up with the demand and with a smaller medium volume you have to be precise in measuring.

Im curious about these unknown seeds. Are they out of a sack or something?
    Thanks for the tips. That makes lots of sense. Luckily I am using coco and measuring ppms, so that should make it easier to feed properly.

I briefly discussed the seeds in a thread a cpl of months ago, it's no exciting story, but as you asked:

Freebie OG Kush auto, didn't autoflower, turned out to be photo.
    Went through a lot of stress and problems and eventually hermied. Can't be 100% whether that was due to genetics, or the stress.
    This pollinated an NL feminised photo plant.
    These seeds are from the NL. I've been calling them OG Lights.
    So there could be 25% auto genes in there, it may or may not be prone to hermying, and I have no idea what sex to expect.

Most people would probably chuck those seeds away, but it should explain why I wanted to germinate a few of them, chuck out the males, then see whether any keepers remain. If I'm lucky I'll get an autoflower. If photos, l'll decide whether to grow them out, or bin them.

Really pleased with all of the help I've had. Thanks!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), Jeff (24-12-18), lipnobody (10-02-19), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19), Valentina (22-12-18), WF420 (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,374 Times

Thanks mate, yeah I'm sticking to under 10. You really got my hopes up there, but I had a look on the US amazon and it looks like you might've seen the 0.3gal (1l) pots... I have a couple of those actually, but I really wish they made seedling ones! You did give me an idea of using 500ml water bottles and cutting nr the top... they wouldn't increase the footprint, but they'd be much deeper.
    If I do something like that, I'm not sure I'd want to un-plant these seeds now?

Thanks for the tips. That makes lots of sense. Luckily I am using coco and measuring ppms, so that should make it easier to feed properly.

I briefly discussed the seeds in a thread a cpl of months ago, it's no exciting story, but as you asked:

Freebie OG Kush auto, didn't autoflower, turned out to be photo.
    Went through a lot of stress and problems and eventually hermied. Can't be 100% whether that was due to genetics, or the stress.
    This pollinated an NL feminised photo plant.
    These seeds are from the NL. I've been calling them OG Lights.
    So there could be 25% auto genes in there, it may or may not be prone to hermying, and I have no idea what sex to expect.

Most people would probably chuck those seeds away, but it should explain why I wanted to germinate a few of them, chuck out the males, then see whether any keepers remain. If I'm lucky I'll get an autoflower. If photos, l'll decide whether to grow them out, or bin them.

Really pleased with all of the help I've had. Thanks!
    That sounds like a super grab bag! Should be fun!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-01-19), Cleargreen (07-01-19), Jeff (24-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19), Valentina (22-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Better yet cut the bottom of any bottle and use bottle upside down, the shape guides the main root out the other end where it will airprune if the bottle is suspended somehow.
    I'm crazy for telling this already because it's the trick up my sleeve for the coming Pepsi challenge.
    So let's keep it between us here please

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-01-19), Jeff (08-01-19), lipnobody (10-02-19), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast