Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Thread: My Organic Journey/soil build

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Hey gaz
    As for the leachate I wouldn’t risk it with the canna but I’d use a little in the veggie garden I don’t really do much when it comes to the anaerobic microbes really as it carries more risk, but I will use the bokashi in a anaerobic environment say in a topdress situation.

With feeding the worms mate just start with a little weekly maybe and you’ll get to know the fuckers.
    Have you had any escape yrt? I’ll be surprised if you don’t find some on the floor pmsl
    I’ve got some great pdf’s on this too, you’ll have to gimme your email!
    Worms and vermicompost is such a interesting thing in itself brother I find myself slipping into another world with all this.
    There’s a book I want to order but I just don’t think I have the time to go in 100% on it ffs
    Soon brother
    Redz
    Its such a cool world man!

Coots seems to just amend compost and let the worms do there thing for a year for his just water soil. Obviously Im not gonna be doing that but Ive been trying to breakdown his 150 smart pot recipe and judge total quantitys but he uses it at a high ratio thats gonna be expensive for me so Im just gonna add some here and there and just amend the soil beds as I normally would I think.

Coots vermicompost recipe

1 c.y. organic barley straw 12 lbs. basalt rock dust 2 c.f. roughly chopped Comfrey as the Nitrogen source 5 c.f. pumice (1/4" size)

When the material ramped back down to 100F or so I added the following:

3 lbs. kelp meal 3 lbs. a neem / karanja meal mix that I had made because I was bored - obviously 1 lb. organic alfalfa meal 1 c.f. roughly chopped Comfrey leaves 1 c.f. roughly chopped mint mix - Peppermint, Spearmint, Thyme, Cilantro, Holy Basil (Tulsi) and chopped Rosemary 3 lbs. organic fish meal 3 lbs. crustacean meal

Gonna use one of the free 80L beds for all them herbs listed ready for composting and worm and cooking ect.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    I never could understand how the worms work. I know they eat up all the N, and I guess they poop it back out. lol
    Lol yup pretty much mate, they eat the organic matter and poop out gold

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    That's happening with my worm bin at the moment, worms try to escape because it's been cold here the last couple of days.
    Nothing to worry about though since there's still plenty left and always loads of eggs that will hatch when it gets warmer again.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    I never could understand how the worms work. I know they eat up all the N, and I guess they poop it back out. lol
    Bacteria eats the food not the worms bro!

Lay a little top dress of alfalfa on the top of the bed and it’ll keep it a little warmer as it breaks down also keeping the bin a little warmer, I hope
    Soon
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (14-01-19), Gaz (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19)

Thanks

Lay a little top dress of alfalfa on the top of the bed and it’ll keep it a little warmer as it breaks down also keeping the bin a little warmer, I hope
    Soon
    Redz
    Alfalfa meal or the plant Redz?

My bad all the stuff Ive read says the worms eat the food waste didnt realise it was the bacteria. Is it the worms that carry the bacteria Redz?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Lovely thread guys. I need to get my compost bin supercharged at some point.

Can I ask the organics experts here, does sphagnum moss go to good use in an organic garden?

Current diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-Sun-Led-Kit

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (14-01-19), Gaz (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Soon
    Redz
    That's pretty much all they have, Guinea pig shit mixed with the alfalfa since the guinea pigs are messy eaters.
    And solids from a biodigester.
    Bin doesn't get much sun though or they would cook in summer and can't move it.
    They'll just have to bite through it, couple weeks and we are hitting 30Celsius again

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

Gaz (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post

Can I ask the organics experts here, does sphagnum moss go to good use in an organic garden?

Current diary
    Thanks Gardo,

Redz should pop in a bit mate and he will know, probably ok for greens in a compost or worm bin but Redz is the man for that question mate

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (15-01-19), gardro (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Supercharged as in what gardo ? Speedin up the process ?

If so . Use grass clipping .

Need more specifics tho .

But as a general rule . Fruit and vegetable waste peelz are higher in P and K . banana peels n stems being one of the highest .

For N in a worm bin dont worry . The worm leachate contains more then enough N so no need to worry . Just a good balanced .not too much of this or that .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (15-01-19), gardro (14-01-19), Gaz (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    That's happening with my worm bin at the moment, worms try to escape because it's been cold here the last couple of days.
    Nothing to worry about though since there's still plenty left and always loads of eggs that will hatch when it gets warmer again.
    Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post

Current diary
    I would give it a compost tea tbh.
    Imho I would stay away from any fruit as it’s like 90 % water and you’ll just end up with flies and shit
    I mean use alfalfa meal for the worm bin gaz.
    But trex is right greens heat up a pile, remember we always want to aim for a 30:1 carbon to nitrogen to keep it moving also turning a pile will heat it up
    Back soon lads
    Redz

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (15-01-19), Gaz (14-01-19), GEORGE (14-01-19)

Thanks

I would give it a compost tea tbh.
    Imho I would stay away from any fruit as it’s like 90 % water and you’ll just end up with flies and shit
    I mean use alfalfa meal for the worm bin gaz.
    But trex is right greens heat up a pile, remember we always want to aim for a 30:1 carbon to nitrogen to keep it moving also turning a pile will heat it up
    Back soon lads
    Redz
    Do you give your compost pile tea often Redz?

Ive got vermicompost for teas coming while I wait for my worms to deliver, hadnt thought of a tea for the compost bin

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (15-01-19), GEORGE (15-01-19), redisiel (14-01-19)

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast