Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Growing comfrey

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Default Growing comfrey

Hey guys

So I want to plant comfrey in my back garden and I have long thing bed at the edge of my lawn to plant in and then have ready available mulch material

If any one has grown this did you do it from seed inside first ? Or can you sow straight out side ? Is it managble or will it over run everything ?

Also Id like to grow alfalfa in the same bed ?

Im gonna try and find these answers but id rather get it from the horses mouth.

Im UK btw so UK climate

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (06-01-19), GEORGE (24-12-18), Ginger-bud (08-01-19), lipnobody (21-12-18)

Thanks

Oh horse tail as well !!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (06-01-19), GEORGE (24-12-18), Ginger-bud (08-01-19), lipnobody (21-12-18), redisiel (03-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Lol just see this
    It’s in my garden trex’s garden and it should still be in type m’s aswell we all put them in a couple years ago now, I grow it indoors sometimes too you’ll see that in the gallery, I sent roots out to Canada and they went well.
    One thing though if you buy it you want the bocking 14 it’s the sterile non invasive one it’s got a great background story too!
    Bless
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (06-01-19), Gaz (03-01-19), GEORGE (08-01-19), Ginger-bud (08-01-19), M_C (19-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Lol just see this
    It?s in my garden trex?s garden and it should still be in type m?s aswell we all put them in a couple years ago now, I grow it indoors sometimes too you?ll see that in the gallery, I sent roots out to Canada and they went well.
    One thing though if you buy it you want the bocking 14 it?s the sterile non invasive one it?s got a great background story too!
    Bless
    Cheers Redz, deffo getting some planted one way or the other. Ive got 2 beds in the soil fairly large and one with an old tree stumps in it..thinking humates.

I am also making raised beds to go on my decking and patio to grow veg and non canna stuff in.

If I get some pictures up, maybe we could plan out some stuff and I cam get some goodies growing like the comfrey and alfalfa and anything we could share mate

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (06-01-19), GEORGE (08-01-19), Ginger-bud (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

I'm growing it outside here down South in Europe and I definitely need to keep it in shade if I don't want to be watering it a tonne.
    Had some in a wicking bed as well and that grew absolutely bonkers so I pulled it out because other plants got overrun by the huge leaves.
    Don't have a fancy Bocking # but the S.officinale as far as I know, I collected some seeds once and they sprouted just fine.
    Propagating through root cuttings is the fastest though.

Being able to do root cuttings is also the basis for my following warning:
    Do not plant it in raised garden beds where you want to grow other stuff as well. It's very hard to get rid off because even tiny root segments will re-sprout if you pull the plants out, I learned that the hard way.

With my wicking bed it wasn't a huge issue though because that had such a loose soil mix in it that I managed to get the plants out quite well and I now stay on top of any tiny sprouts that
    still pop up and it should all be out in the near future.

The soil from the two regular raised beds I have it in I'll have to dump out in an area where I don't mind the comfrey and start fresh to not have it bother my veg anymore.

And since we are talking comfrey here anyway, besides making liquid manure with it and brewing that into an aerobic tea you can als press an extract by stuffing it in a tube and putting a weight on top. Saw a video of that pass my Fb feed recently.

Borage can be used like comfrey as well, it's actually a close relative of it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Gaz (06-01-19), GEORGE (08-01-19), Ginger-bud (08-01-19)

Thanks

So this past winter and spring I've been pressing borage plants using 3 buckets, one to catch the liquid, the middle one with holes drilled all over the bottom to hold the borage and the top bucket full of soil to put weight on the plant material.

In total I put about 2 wheelbarrows full of borage in the middle bucket and a few days ago I collected and sieved all the liquid (to get the maggots and BSFL out) which yielded about 1,5 liters of very dark and somewhat smelly liquid.

Mon the organic nutes!

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

alfredo839 (23-06-19), CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), IceCalibur (19-06-19), M_C (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19), WF420 (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    So this past winter and spring I've been pressing borage plants using 3 buckets, one to catch the liquid, the middle one with holes drilled all over the bottom to hold the borage and the top bucket full of soil to put weight on the plant material.

In total I put about 2 wheelbarrows full of borage in the middle bucket and a few days ago I collected and sieved all the liquid (to get the maggots and BSFL out) which yielded about 1,5 liters of very dark and somewhat smelly liquid.

Mon the organic nutes!
    How would you go about using that then clear? And what effects will it have?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), IceCalibur (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Oh horse tail as well !!
    Bloody stuff!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), IceCalibur (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    How would you go about using that then clear? And what effects will it have?
    Dilute it down to feed to the plants, since this came from flowering plants I'm hoping it will be a good fertilizer during flowering.
    How much to dilute it? This I have yet to find out but I'm guessing just a few ml/l

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), IceCalibur (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19), WF420 (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    Dilute it down to feed to the plants, since this came from flowering plants I'm hoping it will be a good fertilizer during flowering.
    How much to dilute it? This I have yet to find out but I'm guessing just a few ml/l
    Cheers mate, so would you this instead of the teas or alongside?

I planted a couple of comfrey root cuts a few weeks ago so this time next year i should have established plants

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast