Thread: Problem with seedlings

Thanks

Default Problem with seedlings

Hey guys, first of all - Merry Christmas!!

Ok, so it's my first time in coco and I've also just switched to LED.

I've popped some autoflowers straight into the coco. I done this under the warmth of my MH, as the LED hadn't been delivered yet. And all of them popped as usual.

However, I switched to the LED when it came (on day 2) to start saving some electricity. But this dropped the temps drastically as my climate is cold during the winter months. And I noticed that the seedlings basically stopped growing, and the first set of leaves on one of them are coming through very light (from my experience with seedlings). So I marked this down to temperature, as I'm now on day 5 with no real progress (they still look 1-2 days old from my experience).

So I bought a tube heater, I left it in overnight but it was clear in the morning that it wasn't going to be enough to raise the temps in my 4x4 tent. The ambient temperature was hovering around 18-21 degrees. But the moist coco felt colder to the touch. So I'm going to return that tube heater and get something more powerful on a thermostat - any recommendations? Right now I've switched back to the MH, to keep the temps up.

The base EC on my tap water is 0.2. For first wetting the pots, I used plain water. Second feed, I raised it to 0.3. And when I seen the colour of the one seedling that I mentioned, I raised it to 0.4 and fed again. I've been watering at a PH of 5.6-5.7 so far, based off the info in the-limey-digit's simple coco guide.

So anyway, those are my conditions. And as I say, I'm marking the slow growth down to the temperature - Do you guys think I'm right? And If so, how long should I expect to wait until the growth starts again? I wasn't expecting a delay but the temps have been fixed for close to 24hours now without any visible improvement!

Also, I'm thinking of getting a 1.5k watt ceramic fan heater and a thermostat - do you guys think that will be suitable? Or would you recommend something else that's better?

And also, will a shock this early ruin my potential autoflower yeild by shaving time off? Or will the time to flower have paused while the plants are essentially dormant?

Thanks for your attention and any help guys!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stonerose For This Useful Post:

Dizzydave (25-12-18), GEORGE (26-12-18), millwall115 (25-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,671 Times

merry Christmas buddy

I would say you have hit the nail on the head with temps best thing for that size setup in my opinion would be a plug in oil filled rad there more efficient and safer than most and come with a built in thermostat. also at such a young age how is your humidity if not in a propagator may be worth trying to put something over them to keep the humidity up like a clear bottle cut in half etc with a mist of water in.
    hope all goes well mate
    Last edited by Dizzydave; 25-12-18 at 07:21 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizzydave For This Useful Post:

Gaz (25-12-18), GEORGE (26-12-18), Kurdt (29-12-18), lipnobody (26-12-18), stonerose (25-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by stonerose View Post
    Hey guys, first of all - Merry Christmas!!

Ok, so it's my first time in coco and I've also just switched to LED.

I've popped some autoflowers straight into the coco. I done this under the warmth of my MH, as the LED hadn't been delivered yet. And all of them popped as usual.

However, I switched to the LED when it came (on day 2) to start saving some electricity. But this dropped the temps drastically as my climate is cold during the winter months. And I noticed that the seedlings basically stopped growing, and the first set of leaves on one of them are coming through very light (from my experience with seedlings). So I marked this down to temperature, as I'm now on day 5 with no real progress (they still look 1-2 days old from my experience).

So I bought a tube heater, I left it in overnight but it was clear in the morning that it wasn't going to be enough to raise the temps in my 4x4 tent. The ambient temperature was hovering around 18-21 degrees. But the moist coco felt colder to the touch. So I'm going to return that tube heater and get something more powerful on a thermostat - any recommendations? Right now I've switched back to the MH, to keep the temps up.

The base EC on my tap water is 0.2. For first wetting the pots, I used plain water. Second feed, I raised it to 0.3. And when I seen the colour of the one seedling that I mentioned, I raised it to 0.4 and fed again. I've been watering at a PH of 5.6-5.7 so far, based off the info in the-limey-digit's simple coco guide.

So anyway, those are my conditions. And as I say, I'm marking the slow growth down to the temperature - Do you guys think I'm right? And If so, how long should I expect to wait until the growth starts again? I wasn't expecting a delay but the temps have been fixed for close to 24hours now without any visible improvement!

Also, I'm thinking of getting a 1.5k watt ceramic fan heater and a thermostat - do you guys think that will be suitable? Or would you recommend something else that's better?

And also, will a shock this early ruin my potential autoflower yeild by shaving time off? Or will the time to flower have paused while the plants are essentially dormant?

Thanks for your attention and any help guys!!
    Yeah if they are stunted this will have an impact on the end result. If the temps are to cold then this will stunt them. What is the temp of your feed? What are you feeding them? I would stick with the MH for now. I have got an eco technics controller that controls my intake, extractor fan and my
    Fan heater. You just set the required temp and rh and it does it?s best to keep within the parameters. If this is not an option then an oil rad will be a good idea. If you can get a thermostatically controlled one even better.
    Up the ph to 5.8 aswel. Get some pics up. How often are you watering? How much? And what size are ur pots?

Please check out my diary.

Cinderella jock and 1 other
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

Dizzydave (25-12-18), Gaz (25-12-18), GEORGE (26-12-18), lipnobody (26-12-18), stonerose (25-12-18)

Thanks

I had plastic bottle tops over them for the first few days, but i took them off when the LED didn't fog them up. I've just checked my RH and it's probably the lowest it's been, around 30% when the hygrometer is on top of the coco and around 20% ambient. I've put the bottle tops back and they're fogging up now.

I'm gonna try and find a radiator with thermostat then, I've seen some 500w ones around. I expect that should do.

I've got 12.5L air pots. The first time I watered 2L, without any runoff. The second time, I think I remembered something about never letting the coco have dry spots (i could be wrong). So I gave 3L more to completely soak it, with lots of run off. The third time, I only gave 1.25L as I was troubleshooting by increasing the EC for the pale seedling. These waterings were all 2 days apart, which i know is quite frequent for seedlings but it's my first time coco and I'm still trying to gauge run off.

As the RH is so low, and the bottle tops fogged far slowed than previously. I'm thinking they could do with more water, despite the coco still being dark and moist to the touch?

I'm currently only using rhiz and canna a/b. I've got a reservoir that I mix in, with an airstone that I run for a while before watering. The reservoir is standing at room temp, which I know is probably a bit cold but it's definitely not chilled. I'd check the temp but my thermometer is has been on the coco and I don't have an de-chlorinated water handy to rinse it (i realize that's probably a bit anal haha!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonerose For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-12-18), millwall115 (25-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by stonerose View Post
    I had plastic bottle tops over them for the first few days, but i took them off when the LED didn't fog them up. I've just checked my RH and it's probably the lowest it's been, around 30% when the hygrometer is on top of the coco and around 20% ambient. I've put the bottle tops back and they're fogging up now.

I'm gonna try and find a radiator with thermostat then, I've seen some 500w ones around. I expect that should do.

I've got 12.5L air pots. The first time I watered 2L, without any runoff. The second time, I think I remembered something about never letting the coco have dry spots (i could be wrong). So I gave 3L more to completely soak it, with lots of run off. The third time, I only gave 1.25L as I was troubleshooting by increasing the EC for the pale seedling. These waterings were all 2 days apart, which i know is quite frequent for seedlings but it's my first time coco and I'm still trying to gauge run off.

As the RH is so low, and the bottle tops fogged far slowed than previously. I'm thinking they could do with more water, despite the coco still being dark and moist to the touch?

I'm currently only using rhiz and canna a/b. I've got a reservoir that I mix in, with an airstone that I run for a while before watering. The reservoir is standing at room temp, which I know is probably a bit cold but it's definitely not chilled. I'd check the temp but my thermometer is has been on the coco and I don't have an de-chlorinated water handy to rinse it (i realize that's probably a bit anal haha!)
    You want to increase the rh to about 70-80% at this stage.
    Also while plants are still seedlings you don?t want to drench the medium as you want the roots to go searching. Let the coco dry abit before watering next. There are a couple of really good coco growers on here. Macky, Joker, Farmshop to name a few drop either of them with a message. They are really nice guys and are more than willing to answer any questions or queries you have.

Please check out my diary.

Cinderella jock and 1 other
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

AND (25-12-18), Gaz (25-12-18), GEORGE (26-12-18), stonerose (25-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

As above...high RH is your friend here and you want to aim for around 26?-28? temps whilst growth is being established...dont know shit about coco but germing and seedlings are the same regardless of medium and I always (2 failures in 10 years) have good results

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

Dizzydave (25-12-18), Gaz (25-12-18), GEORGE (26-12-18), millwall115 (25-12-18), stonerose (26-12-18)