Thread: Contactors

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,169 Times

Default Contactors

Im going to post up on this thread shortly about general electricity questions, show my setup and check with you guys that it seems safe...

But in the mean time can I just ask.. Do you only use contractors when you're using a timer? I have loads of fans and especially heaters that kill my bills, and was wondering if they also need to be on a contactor?

I also have all the other stuff plugged into a surge protector multi-plug but if Im honest, I have no idea why hahaa. I mean I can confidently say its there to protect against surges but in reality I don't even know what that means hahaa

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

GasMan (08-01-19), GEORGE (04-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

It's cheap timers that HPS ballast surge tends to kill

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Erby (03-01-19), GEORGE (04-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,169 Times

So do you just need a contactor when using a timer with a heavy pull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

One of the sparkies will answer this easier than me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Contactor is only needed if/when running multiple lights or heaters and not needed on fans unles they're 18" or more. They are in effect a high power switch triggered by a low power circuit...cable providing power to contactor and subsequent appliances must be rated above max current of aplliances and not an extension lead etc. otherwise no need for a contactor.

Most decent quality contactors have a built in timer that operates the contactor and is powered seperately to the lights/heaters supply

As MC says above avoid cheap timers...Immersion heater timers are good...or quality known brand timers built to handle 3000W (not 300-600w like the cheapos)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-01-19), WhIpLaSh (03-01-19)