Cheers
    Plague bug.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

G' (07-01-19), GEORGE (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    This is a root aphid

They look a little like vine weevils mate, but vine weevils are much bigger.
    Yeah your right there Macky brother i had the weevils and they are close on 1/2" in size mate, good call bro', G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Thanks,
    I actually think Root Aphids must be correct, based on what I've been reading...

Even though they're only meant to affect larvae, I read an Amazon mosquito dunk review, the guy said that tiny gnats were flying out his pot and landing somewhere to die, and that they were "smaller than usual gnats so they must've recently been larvae" ... that's what I assumed was happening.

But now I've read that root Aphids do just what I described in my previous post... they are smaller and stumpier than fungus gnats, and they eventually fly out of the pots, and zip straight up towards the light (which I've been smelling/seeing happen).

So it makes sense, except I'm a bit confused as i'm pretty sure I still also had fungus gnats, and as of recently I have both (even though they're mistaken for each other... there's a 100 page thread discussing it on google, I won't try to start one here)

Dunno how I got them, but i'll keep treating for gnats and now the bastard Aphids too... unfortunately imidacloprid is banned in UK so I'll be interested if anyone knows a good alternative... I've read about Pyrethrum and some other fungi based thing, as well as general aphid sprays etc on amazon.

Annnyways..... cheers !

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (08-01-19), GEORGE (08-01-19)

Macky Guest

Damn man that's a bit shit. They can come from loads of places mate, might be in the medium from the grow shop. I bought thrips home before from the grow shop in a bag of plagron batmix, ruined my whole crop. In the end I just scrapped it and started again. Could be from walking the dog, and carrying something in, could be from pets if they get around the groom. Might be from your intake.

This is why IPM is so important, prevention is better than cure.

If the larvae are in the medium, I'd use Diatomaceous earth, a good layer of that on top of the medium will shred eggs and larvae.

Along with some sticky traps hung up in the tent, and some place about an inch above the medium. That will catch the Gnats as the try to fly off.

Get some neem oil too, always good to have on hand.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (08-01-19), GEORGE (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

I agree with Macky on the neem oil it's a great all rounder and has helped me out a few times, helped get rid of thrips and vine weevil though i used it in conjunction with nematodes, nematodes is good for anything that has invaded your medium as it enters the bugs orifices and eats them from the inside out so to speak, all the best brother, G'.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

You have to drench your medium with some imidacloprid diluted mate, google it. I haven't treated these before, so not sure of the exact procedure, but they're are root aphids I think, and imidacloprid seems the be the best option in killing them and any other soil dwelling parasites
    I would use this mate it’s a neonicotinoid!!!!
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-19)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    I would use this mate it’s a neonicotinoid!!!!
    Redz
    I don't know man, is that supposed to be "wouldn't" mate? but iphone corrected you? I haven't used it before, never treated for root aphids so wouldn't know about its effects, ive just read it good stuff to use against root aphids. But didnt someone say it was banned? Which would lead me to think you wouldnt use it lol.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-19), redisiel (31-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

. But didnt someone say it was banned? Which would lead me to think you wouldnt use it lol.
    Yeah that was me, it's a little harder than usual in growing forums to make sure ppl remember your previous posts

So I've been using neem oil, diatomaceous earth, and bti as part of IPM
    The DE isnt so effective in my case, as I am using airpots so they're full of holes (and fungus gnats got past the tights barrier ) but it's killed a few crawling on the floor.
    The Bti seemed to kill most of the gnats, right as the Aphids took over.
    Neem oil didn't really stop anything but I think it must've made some difference overall.

I use canna coco professional which is supposed to be good, but to be fair, like suggested above, I am thinking the Aphids must've come from it

Anyways no worries , I will research alternative treatments, (probably a cheap general aphid killer first) and update with results here for any future readers...
    Cheers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-01-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Just in case anyone is reading this in the future...
    I got rid of the root aphids quite quickly and easily by using h2o2, which was lucky as I read root aphids are supposed to be particularly tough and persistent.
    I thought I had got rid of the fungus gnats after a couple of weeks of BTi (bacteria) treatment.
    But I think the H2o2 killed the helpful bacteria, as the gnats came back just as the aphids disappeared.
    I've got most of the gnats by using BTi again , which I will do for about 30 days (gnats life cycle).

So peroxide and BTi don't go together but between them they've fixed everything

Cheers

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-01-19), G' (03-02-19), gardro (31-01-19), GEORGE (31-01-19), redisiel (31-01-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2