Thread: Another Noob QB thread...

Thanks

Question Another Noob QB thread...

Sup Talkers!

I am in some need of help from the pros. I have been reading up on COBs and QBs since yesterday and Im nowhere closer to understanding them or knowing what I need. Its like the more I read the more complicated it gets.

I am currently running:
    - 400W MH and 400W HPS (depending on flower or veg) on a Very old DIY Magnetic ballast
    - 80x80x120cm tent

I am looking to upgrade my lighting system and a friend advised to get COBs but they are still Crap expensive here where I am and QBs ever more so as its newer. So buying a Pre-build setup just is not an option for me.

As soon as I started reading up on DIY lights on Ledgardener website I was hooked. So I found a place here locally that stock COBs and QB Strips and I want to make my own.
    There is too much info available thats just confusing me at this stage and need some help

COBs or QBs?
    What size LED Driver do I need to cover this tent, and Matches or improves on my current 400W setup?
    What COBs/QB strips would you recommend for this size tent?
    Is there any EASY/Simple resources that will help a noob noob to understand and figure a this out myself?

So far Im interested im leaning towards using these, But how many strips would I need? How can i calculate it?
    They also have most Meanwell HLG LED Drivers available, what would the recommended be for above strips?

Massive thanks! I would appreciate any help

Greetz
    Last edited by Reaper01; 08-01-19 at 05:50 PM.
    Reap's 2nd Try (Tent & SCROG)

DIY QBoard and LED Strip Build Log (and Noob Guide to be)

“The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced.”
    ? Alan W. Watts

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reaper01 For This Useful Post:

Erby (08-01-19), gardro (08-01-19), JB (16-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

Hi mate, im no expert but im using both a cob and a QB so ill do my best to help you. Ive grown "good" crops under both with efficient gpw. After a grow with each I am leaning towards QB. With a cob all your light is from one source so youll get stronger growth under the light, with it fading towards the edges.

My current setup I have complete coverage and an even PPFD. I really noticed how uniform my buds were in comparison to my cob only run.If it was me, id look at invisible sun. Something like the IS240 for your tent. Or overspec and dim down the lights as needed.

You can build your own, which is handy enough. But im no sparky & that comes with the risk of electrocution. Gardro is your man for LED advise. Sure he'll be about to explain all. Meanwhile theres loads of build guides on here & invisible sun threads to look over.
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

Erby (08-01-19), gardro (08-01-19), lipnobody (08-01-19), Reaper01 (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by UpT0wn View Post
    Hi mate, im no expert but im using both a cob and a QB so ill do my best to help you. Ive grown "good" crops under both with efficient gpw. After a grow with each I am leaning towards QB. With a cob all your light is from one source so youll get stronger growth under the light, with it fading towards the edges.

My current setup I have complete coverage and an even PPFD. I really noticed how uniform my buds were in comparison to my cob only run.If it was me, id look at invisible sun. Something like the IS240 for your tent. Or overspec and dim down the lights as needed.

You can build your own, which is handy enough. But im no sparky & that comes with the risk of electrocution. Gardro is your man for LED advise. Sure he'll be about to explain all. Meanwhile theres loads of build guides on here & invisible sun threads to look over.
    Do you think the even spread of the QB got you more crop or the same just but spread out evenly?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

gardro (08-01-19), Reaper01 (08-01-19), UpT0wn (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Erby View Post
    Do you think the even spread of the QB got you more crop or the same just but spread out evenly?
    I think QB produce excellent results regardless. I have definitely got a better crop this time around with an even spread. But, I feel my growing skill with autos has increased so Id have to run a true comparison to know for sure. Plus i added in more light. Its defintely a very effienct way to grow. Theres plenty of talkers growing under strips so when the weights are in, we'll have some more info.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

British green (08-01-19), Erby (08-01-19), gardro (08-01-19), Reaper01 (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

I think both cobs and QBs have their place. There's nothing wrong with a bright high powered cob if you have enough height to get the coverage.

Since you only have 120cm height, I would lean away from choosing a cob

Digikey are a great supplier but best not to put up links ( forum rules )

I believe those strips you've selected are H series. Not my personal fave but you can get a solution with them.

Have you thought what you would be growing in your space?

Magnetic ballast, I bet that uses 50w so you will see huge electrical saving for the same light output

Current diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-Sun-Led-Kit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Reaper01 (08-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    I think both cobs and QBs have their place. There's nothing wrong with a bright high powered cob if you have enough height to get the coverage.

Since you only have 120cm height, I would lean away from choosing a cob

Digikey are a great supplier but best not to put up links ( forum rules )

I believe those strips you've selected are H series. Not my personal fave but you can get a solution with them.

Magnetic ballast, I bet that uses 50w so you will see huge electrical saving for the same light output

Current diary
    Thanks for the Reply Gardo!
    I cant seem to edit that original post to remove the link? Can a Admin please remove the link from the OP ?

Is there another one on that website that you would recommend for my size?

How do you mean?

Perfect thats what Im looking for!

I honestly dont know what I need? Or even where to start. I just know I need to upgrade from my 400W HPS
    Last edited by Reaper01; 08-01-19 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Tagging a Mod to remove my link in the original post

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper01 For This Useful Post:

gardro (08-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper01 View Post
    Thanks for the Reply Gardo!
    I cant seem to edit that original post to remove the link? Can a Admin please remove the link from the OP ?

Is there another one on that website that you would recommend for my size?

How do you mean?

Perfect thats what Im looking for!

I honestly dont know what I need? Or even where to start. I just know I need to upgrade from my 400W HPS
    Don't worry about the link, just FYI

Starting point really is the height you have and what you will be growing. Assume you will be selecting short indica based/ hybrids. Perhaps autos?

Assume you are based where that Digikey site is based ? So that rules out our forum sponsor.

I would go for F series or Bridgelux EB gen2 strips as long as you grow shortish plants.

They come on 1,2 or 4 feet lengths

Could you fit 1120mm (4 feet ) in your tent? Maybe the 2 footers will be better for you

Current diary

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Reaper01 (08-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Don't worry about the link, just FYI

Starting point really is the height you have and what you will be growing. Assume you will be selecting short indica based/ hybrids. Perhaps autos?

Assume you are based where that Digikey site is based ? So that rules out our forum sponsor.

I would go for F series or Bridgelux EB gen2 strips as long as you grow shortish plants.

They come on 1,2 or 4 feet lengths

Could you fit 1120mm (4 feet ) in your tent? Maybe the 2 footers will be better for you

Current diary
    Ah Okay, Yes its always going to be Indicas or Scrog

Yes I am unfortunately...

I would go for F series or Bridgelux EB gen2 strips as long as you grow shortish plants. - Why do you say for short plants? does it need alot of height?

I will have to do a few measurement calculations to work this out

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper01 For This Useful Post:

gardro (08-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper01 View Post
    Ah Okay, Yes its always going to be Indicas or Scrog

Yes I am unfortunately...

I would go for F series or Bridgelux EB gen2 strips as long as you grow shortish plants. - Why do you say for short plants? does it need alot of height?

I will have to do a few measurement calculations to work this out
    You will want a good 12-15 inches clearance below high powered strips so there not much left in a 120

Current diary

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Reaper01 (08-01-19)

Thanks

I have created a new thread with the hope that it will become a noob guide for others too.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070899818

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper01 For This Useful Post:

gardro (12-01-19)