Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Seed Cracks Then Dies?

Thanks

Update! Good news! Too good maybe ! Using the ziplock bag method prescribed by CityDweller, the Purple Haze seed has sprouted it's taproot overnight - about 3-4 mm or so! I say this is maybe too good because I had actually given up 99% of my hope on it and had began trying the process of trying to pop a G13 Haze seed... which is ALSO now just beginning to push it's tap root out... This is my very first REAL grow and now I have TWO plants I need to handle! I'm scared but also very excited, thankfully I have enough space and already have a big enough light for both. Stay tuned folks, I'm going to be starting my very first diary in the next day or 2 once these girls are under the LEDs!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (18-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (20-01-19), UpT0wn (01-02-19)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

Magic zip baggies
    that's the worst bit over waiting to see are they viable

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), CityDweller (31-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (20-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

I use the paper towel method in a Tupperware box but first soak the seeds for 12-24 hrs in a glass of water ,then put the Tupperware box on top of my sky box for a bit of warmth...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), CityDweller (31-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (20-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,993 Times

its because you dont have it so saturated i'd say mate. i have found like monster said that tap root stops for days and days and turns to mush if action not taken. Generally i find too warm a enviro can do this also, or when you go in the little bitch has stretched 3 inches lol.
    FORMERLY TOBYSMOKER

Big buddah cheese and blue cheese solo journey - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ese-Round-Two-)

Big Buddah Blue Cheese & Cheese Mentored by Budlightyear! https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Bud-lightyear

BREAKS & BEATS FOR THE MUSIC PRODUCERS OUT THERE!!! - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-check-it-out

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmobyToker#1 For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), CityDweller (31-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    Hi all, on Saturday I was finally ready to begin my maiden voyage in my newly built indoor grow room. After months of tweaking and change in order to get the humidity/temp/airflow correct, and after doing a short, successful test run with a scrap (probably hermaphrodite) seed, I was ready.

Being a massive Jimi fan, I decided that my single Purple Haze fem seed would be the most appropriate to start my journey. Friday evening the seed is soaked in water for 6 hours and then set in moist toilet paper in a small propagator box, covered with a shirt to block any light and set on top of my PC case (which stayed on 24/7 for the next two days) for warmth. In the interest of full disclosure, being more nervous and afraid of failure than impatient, I'll say that I probably checked in on the seed a bit too often. Fast forward to Sunday, and the only change I see in the seed is the colouring went from a relatively lighter brown/darker gradient to the colour of a ripe, healthy seed - that being a dark, consistent brown.

I decide I'm going crazy and the best course of action is to just plant the seed in the Rockwool, set it in my DWC system under the light, with some lava rocks to lightly cover it and the propagator lid over it.

On Monday I got excited because the seed finally cracked and I could JUST see the white curve of the new stem - no tap root but that could be underneath and I wasn't about to disturb the seed then. The thing is, there has been no change whatsoever since then and its Wednesday, two days later. Is it possible by baby died or slowed down or stunted in any way? Is there anything obvious I did to ruin this?

Apologies for the long post for something so simple, I just felt I had to provide as much info regarding what I did in case there was something obvious and singular that I did to kill the seed (if that is the case).

Thank you all in advance <3
    The method I usually use when popping seeds is to let them soak for at least 24 hours in a bowl of water. Then I hit them gently to see if they sink. If not, I let them soak for another 24 hours. The ones that sink are then put onto a wet paper towel, folded over twice and put into a ziploc bag for a further 24 hours-48 hours. This method has a 90% conversion rate. I, personally, have never met a seed that did not crack...yet. 6 hours is a bit too short of a time if you ask me. And I just store my Ziploc bag anywhere. Not in a silly place but on a desk or in a table etc etc. This method has worked for me everytime.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to th4k1ng For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (19-01-19), CityDweller (31-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), UpT0wn (20-01-19)

Thanks

Hey guys, update. The Purple Haze didn't make it but the G13 is still alive, albeit growing incredibly slowly and gnarly.
    I've started my first ever grow diary with 2x Royal Haze seeds.
    You can find it here:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

I hope the link works. Thanks to everyone for the input and I hope to see you again during my journey!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (01-02-19), GEORGE (01-02-19), Greengrass (01-02-19), UpT0wn (01-02-19)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3