Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mycorrhizal Fungi, whats it all about

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Default Mycorrhizal Fungi, whats it all about

Mycorrhizal Fungi (MF)
    So, you’ve likely heard of this stuff before and maybe even use it yourself but the importance of this fungi when using organic nutrients or growing organically is paramount. There are different types of MF but the one we are interested in is arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) which forms a symbiosis or mutual relationship, with the roots of 90% of plants on the planet (Helgason, Daniell, Husband, Fitter, & Young, 1998). Unlike using salt based nutes, when growing organically in soil (which nearly all you soil growers here do btw) you are relying on the soil microbiology to break down these nutes and feed them to the plant by way of soil food web (see picture). The soil food web is an essay in itself but as you can see from the picture, fungi is what feeds the broken down compounds to the plant. Moreover, (AMF) enhances growth and fitness of the plant and improved resistance to soil-borne pests and diseases resulting from antagonistic processes associated with mycorrhiza (Hodge, Gosling, Goodlass, & Bending, 2004).

So, we can safely say that all organic soil growers should be using this but if you’re not already then throwing great white in your soil part way through your grow isn’t going to work I’m afraid. In order for AMF to function it must first develop the symbiosis in the rhizosphere (root zone) which happens at the early stages of a plant’s life. The plant releases exudates from its roots as soon as the tap root appears and these exudates are what form the AMF symbiosis, so it is of vital importance the root has contact with AMF immediately on germination. A simple and effective way to do this is to inoculate the seed, put simply dust the seed with AMF before planting, this will ensure the AMF symbiosis is formed from the start. Additionally, you should add some to your soil mix so that there is a sufficient population so that it can function properly. While AMF is found in all soils it can not live or grow with out the presence of a plant host, therefore there will be no AMF in your bag of soil from the grow shop, and if they tell you its in there already then ask them how it has survived? lol they will get uncomfortable I would imagine.

Ok so now you’re thinking “yup gotta get me some of that” but not all products are made equal. The spores we want are g. intraradices or g. mossae (g. stands for Glomus) it may also be listed as rhizophagus intraradices or rhizophagus irregularis. Many companies add Ectomycorrhizal fungi in to boost the spore numbers and make us think its shit hot but those spores are of no use to us. Also there is strong evidence that Trichoderma inhibit AMF (Martinez et al, 2004), so products like great white shark that have Trichoderma should be avoided. My suggestion is to compare all the available brands and find one with the highest numbers of the AMF listed above and the least Trichoderma.
    Hope this is of help to you guys

References

Helgason, T., Daniell, T. J., Husband, R., Fitter, A. H., & Young, J. P. W. (1998). Ploughing up the wood-wide web? Nature, 394, 431. doi:10.1038/28764

Hodge, A., Gosling, P., Goodlass, G., & Bending, G. (2004). Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in organic systems.

Martinez A1, O. M., Pardo A, Ocampo JA, Godeas A. (2004). Interactions between Trichoderma pseudokoningii strains and the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi Glomus mosseae and Gigaspora rosea. Mycorrhiza, 14(2), 79-84.
    Last edited by Gaz; 16-01-19 at 11:38 AM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

AND (16-01-19), C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), Ginger-bud (17-01-19), happyjack (08-05-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), martinthestoner (16-01-19), Subterranean Man (16-01-19), Valentina (16-01-19), Wags (16-01-19), WF420 (17-01-19)

Thanks

Note, it is possible that there may be very low numbers of AMF in the shop soil but you are playing the odds that there will be sufficient populations to form the relationship and the odds will be shit as the AMF wont be growing at all with out a host plant. Therefore its easier to assume there is none

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), happyjack (08-05-19), Valentina (05-05-19), Wags (16-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,881 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Mycorrhizal Fungi (MF)
    So, you’ve likely heard of this stuff before and maybe even use it yourself but the importance of this fungi when using organic nutrients or growing organically is paramount. There are different types of MF but the one we are interested in is arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) which forms a symbiosis or mutual relationship, with the roots of 90% of plants on the planet (Helgason, Daniell, Husband, Fitter, & Young, 1998). Unlike using salt based nutes, when growing organically in soil (which nearly all you soil growers here do btw) you are relying on the soil microbiology to break down these nutes and feed them to the plant by way of soil food web (see picture). The soil food web is an essay in itself but as you can see from the picture, fungi is what feeds the broken down compounds to the plant. Moreover, (AMF) enhances growth and fitness of the plant and improved resistance to soil-borne pests and diseases resulting from antagonistic processes associated with mycorrhiza (Hodge, Gosling, Goodlass, & Bending, 2004).

So, we can safely say that all organic soil growers should be using this but if you’re not already then throwing great white in your soil part way through your grow isn’t going to work I’m afraid. In order for AMF to function it must first develop the symbiosis in the rhizosphere (root zone) which happens at the early stages of a plant’s life. The plant releases exudates from its roots as soon as the tap root appears and these exudates are what form the AMF symbiosis, so it is of vital importance the root has contact with AMF immediately on germination. A simple and effective way to do this is to inoculate the seed, put simply dust the seed with AMF before planting, this will ensure the AMF symbiosis is formed from the start. Additionally, you should add some to your soil mix so that there is a sufficient population so that it can function properly. While AMF is found in all soils it can not live or grow with out the presence of a plant host, therefore there will be no AMF in your bag of soil from the grow shop, and if they tell you its in there already then ask them how it has survived? lol they will get uncomfortable I would imagine.

Ok so now you’re thinking “yup gotta get me some of that” but not all products are made equal. The spores we want are g. intraradices or g. mossae (g. stands for Glomus) it may also be listed as rhizophagus intraradices or rhizophagus irregularis. Many companies add Ectomycorrhizal fungi in to boost the spore numbers and make us think its shit hot but those spores are of no use to us. Also there is strong evidence that Trichoderma inhibit AMF (Martinez et al, 2004), so products like great white shark that have Trichoderma should be avoided. My suggestion is to compare all the available brands and find one with the highest numbers of the AMF listed above and the least Trichoderma.
    Hope this is of help to you guys

References

Helgason, T., Daniell, T. J., Husband, R., Fitter, A. H., & Young, J. P. W. (1998). Ploughing up the wood-wide web? Nature, 394, 431. doi:10.1038/28764

Hodge, A., Gosling, P., Goodlass, G., & Bending, G. (2004). Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in organic systems.

Martinez A1, O. M., Pardo A, Ocampo JA, Godeas A. (2004). Interactions between Trichoderma pseudokoningii strains and the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi Glomus mosseae and Gigaspora rosea. Mycorrhiza, 14(2), 79-84.
    Great Post Gaz. I used great white at the start of this grow. Didn't add to the soil mix tho.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wags For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), Gaz (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Great Post Gaz. I used great white at the start of this grow. Didn't add to the soil mix tho.
    Im sure it will work just fine but its expensive and full of trichoderma mate

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), Wags (16-01-19)

Thanks

Im sure it will work just fine but its expensive and full of trichoderma mate
    I have no idea if it worked to be honest mate hahaha. I may invest in another type and run one each on next grow maybe.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wags For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), Gaz (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), Valentina (05-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    I have no idea if it worked to be honest mate hahaha. I may invest in another type and run one each on next grow maybe.
    There's deffo better products mate but if youve bought it then use it coz it aint cheap lol

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), Valentina (05-05-19), Wags (16-01-19)

Thanks

There's deffo better products mate but if youve bought it then use it coz it aint cheap lol
    Haha only bought a small tub and can't remember it being that expensive.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wags For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), Gaz (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), Valentina (05-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

Nice one Gaz. So I have PM granules. Good or Bad?
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (24-04-19), Gaz (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), Valentina (05-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UpT0wn View Post
    Nice one Gaz. So I have PM granules. Good or Bad?
    I cant seem to find an ingredients list for it?
    Is there one on the packet breaking down exactly what's in it?

Also good or bad is a little black n white mate, I know monster uses it and gets good results so I wouldnt worry.
    Its more about wether you are getting what you pay for or are being ripped off really.

Im sure all these products work but may as well have optimal ingredients.

The TNC mycorr max would be my recommendation and thats coz Redz signposted it for me. I learnt why afterwards lol

In Redz we trust
    Last edited by Gaz; 16-01-19 at 01:34 PM.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), happyjack (08-05-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), UpT0wn (16-01-19), Valentina (05-05-19), Wags (16-01-19)

Thanks

Also not be paying for ingredients that are just making up the weight if you get me

Funny story I heard was is people are buying several differently branded products supposedly to use for different things at different times but as a system and every one was just kelp pretty much pmsl

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

British green (16-01-19), Cleargreen (24-04-19), Dr Green (07-05-19), lipnobody (08-05-19), UpT0wn (16-01-19), Valentina (16-01-19), Wags (16-01-19)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast