Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How bad are light leaks?

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: How bad are light leaks?

Just wanted some opinions on whether light leaks are the demon they are made out to be. I'm on my second tent now and both have had minor light leaks due to the manufacturing and design.

I don't believe the light leaks have impacted my grow noticeably, however i don't believe they are optimal.

So, seeing as how light leaks seem somewhat unavoidable in the tents that I've used, my questions are firstly, whether anyone has had experience with minute to minor light leaks, how bad are they really? Secondly, any recommendations on tents that are light tight?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. "have had light leaks before due to silver ducting also has a cheap revision 1 tent that was full of tiny pinholes after 6 months use,
    yes i have had plants go full hermie on me, have also seen plants start reVegging due to it, it's more how bright is the leak and it's location on the plants

when they get light during the dark phase enough the plants hormones get screwed up, but it needs to be daily and constant to disrupt there schedule,
    i have used a small 3w light to water in the dark petiod with no ill effect, it's how much light and how regular

best to keep it as close to pitch black as you can manage, some plants will hermie rather easily, even watering with cold water can induce such stress going by what some breeders say
    sometimes it's just poor genetics other times it can be as simple as the led on the power strip

best avoided if possible

--
    best tent i have personally used is a hydrolab, double skinned, military zips and all double socks for venting,
    have had it for 5 years and it's like brand new"

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elchops For This Useful Post:

Bin man (27-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), Greencrack102 (18-01-19), MonsterEnergy (18-01-19)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,392 Times
    Provided Answers: 87

have had light leaks before due to silver ducting also has a cheap revision 1 tent that was full of tiny pinholes after 6 months use,
    yes i have had plants go full hermie on me, have also seen plants start reVegging due to it, it's more how bright is the leak and it's location on the plants

when they get light during the dark phase enough the plants hormones get screwed up, but it needs to be daily and constant to disrupt there schedule,
    i have used a small 3w light to water in the dark petiod with no ill effect, it's how much light and how regular

best to keep it as close to pitch black as you can manage, some plants will hermie rather easily, even watering with cold water can induce such stress going by what some breeders say
    sometimes it's just poor genetics other times it can be as simple as the led on the power strip

best avoided if possible

--
    best tent i have personally used is a hydrolab, double skinned, military zips and all double socks for venting,
    have had it for 5 years and it's like brand new

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

elchops (19-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), Greencrack102 (18-01-19), toblue (19-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,114 Times

Alright elchops
    I’ve not done a lot of growing my self but lights leaks can and will in my opinion with what I’ve grown in the passed hurt your gals. So make sure there in the dark when they need to be :0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greencrack102 For This Useful Post:

elchops (19-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy View Post
    have had light leaks before due to silver ducting also has a cheap revision 1 tent that was full of tiny pinholes after 6 months use,

best avoided if possible

--
    have had it for 5 years and it's like brand new
    Ill check those out, any opinions on the gorilla tents?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elchops For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (19-01-19)

Thanks

the gorilla tents are twice the price of a hydrolab of the same size so probably better quality?
    haven't used one so can't say for sure mate

Gorilla 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 - £358
    hydrolab 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 - £134

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times
    Provided Answers: 6

I don't think light leaks hurt at all during veg. During flower this is an hot topic. If it is bad then they will reveg but personally as long as it is dark enough so you cant see your hand moving clearly or can just see your hand faintly, IMO you shouldn't have problems. Lets face it Cannabis can't be all that different to many other plants and it is grown outdoors in many places.

There are few places pitch black with all the street and car lights security lights etc. I don't think the moon counts different type of light that won't harm plants.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (19-01-19)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I don't think light leaks hurt at all during veg. During flower this is an hot topic. If it is bad then they will reveg but personally as long as it is dark enough so you cant see your hand moving clearly or can just see your hand faintly, IMO you shouldn't have problems. Lets face it Cannabis can't be all that different to many other plants and it is grown outdoors in many places.

There are few places pitch black with all the street and car lights security lights etc. I don't think the moon counts different type of light that won't harm plants.
    No brighter than a full moon they say mate. It's irregularity that's the problem. It can take a few brief blips, but regular, random bits of light will cause a hormone imbalance and cause hermie.

To be sure, you really gotta make sure there are zero light leaks, before going into flower.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

British green (19-01-19), elchops (22-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (20-01-19), Priapus (20-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    No brighter than a full moon they say mate. It's irregularity that's the problem. It can take a few brief blips, but regular, random bits of light will cause a hormone imbalance and cause hermie.

To be sure, you really gotta make sure there are zero light leaks, before going into flower.
    had minimal light through cheap silver ducting and it was still enough for one to go full hermie,
    couldn't believe it, was only the girl next to the inlet but she seeded them all non the less

planted those hermie seeds everywhere so still ended positively enough hehehe

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

elchops (22-01-19), GEORGE (20-01-19), Priapus (20-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,482 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy View Post
    had minimal light through cheap silver ducting and it was still enough for one to go full hermie,
    couldn't believe it, was only the girl next to the inlet but she seeded them all non the less

planted those hermie seeds everywhere so still ended positively enough hehehe
    Do you mean the light was reflecting through the ducting tube due to the inside being metallic and shiny?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priapus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-01-19), MonsterEnergy (20-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priapus View Post
    Do you mean the light was reflecting through the ducting tube due to the inside being metallic and shiny?
    the silver ducting isn't light proof, it just shines straight through it mate
    have combi ducting and acoustic now

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-01-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast