Thread: Setting up a dwc vegging room

Thanks

Default Setting up a dwc vegging room

Hey troops so I’m currently looking into getting another 1m x 1m x 1.6m loft tent for the purpose of vegging plants before I move them into the flowering room to cut down on harvest times. I grow using rdwc so I would be looking at a dwc vegging system for easy transplanting into the rdwc system. Iv been looking online and I found these, however I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them. Few things I was wondering

- how can I drain and fill the system without there being a drain or fill valve/tap

- also is there any systems out there that have connections for a water chiller

- am I best making one myself? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	369550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-01-19), tom222 (28-01-19), TomKing (28-01-19), WhIpLaSh (27-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

I’ve just made a mini RDWC system, cost me less than £250 and it’s pretty sweet.
    Still gotta hook an auto fill valve, but I’ll take some pictures and put a proper post up tomorrow.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-01-19), tom222 (28-01-19), weedjunkie420 (28-01-19), WhIpLaSh (28-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    I’ve just made a mini RDWC system, cost me less than £250 and it’s pretty sweet.
    Still gotta hook an auto fill valve, but I’ll take some pictures and put a proper post up tomorrow.
    Yes mate please do, I’m toying between buying one and making my own. I like the machined premade ones but they are lacking quite a few bits

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-01-19), tom222 (28-01-19), TomKing (28-01-19)

Thanks

Ok! So I started with 4x “really useful boxes” 35l boxes with standard lids in a DWC setup, I hated it. Simply hated it.

So I bought another random plastic box that was a very similar in height in my original boxes. I also bought
    6x 25mm tank bulkheads
    5x 13mm tank bulk heads (with connectors at each end)
    4x 13mm in-line valve
    4x 25mm equal tee connector
    5x 13mm equal tee connector
    3m 25mm iceline pipe
    3m 13mm iceline pipe
    7m air hose
    (Pipe length to suit your upset)
    1x four outlet air pump
    1x Maxijet MJ500 waterpump
    4x 6” air stones

Seems like quite the list when I write it all out.

That looks better.

But basically the water pump, pumps water out of the control bucket (clear lid, no plant in it.) and in to the manifold, so basically a 13mm equal tee with one side going to the next bucket and the tee splits to a valve then a bulkhead on a plant pot.
    This way each plant pot has individual control of water flow in to it, this is super important, other wise you’ll get uneven water flow across all buckets, you kinda have to balance the whole thing.
    Much easier than it sounds.

You can see the control valve to the bucket here.

Then each plant pot has one return 25mm at the bottom and the control pot has 2x 25mm bulkheads for the return flow.

Similar lay out to the smaller pipe work using equal tee connectors.

Hope that makes a bit of sense

That’s the water feed coming out of the top, then the returns coming out of the bottom. The whole thing is such low current I’m not so worried about roots in pipe work, but it does takes a while to circulate the system when mixing nutes and taking ph and EC readings.

Then drill holes at the top of each flower pot, run your airline attach your stones and pump and your off!

The nicest part of designing my own is that I use the same net pots, so once they are ready for the flower room I can just lift the pots, roots and all and drop them in there final home easily!

Also best bit of designing your own is playing with it, want bigger pipes, sprays bars and the works, you can!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

gardro (28-01-19), GEORGE (28-01-19), tom222 (28-01-19), weedjunkie420 (29-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Looks nice, good job. How many litre to fill the system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-01-19), tom222 (29-01-19), TomKing (28-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 420Rancher View Post
    Looks nice, good job. How many litre to fill the system?
    About 80/90 litres, I filled it with a hose from the RODI tank, so not entirely sure to be honest. I’m in concrete floor so I’ve had to add an aquarium heater to get the temps up to 19c

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-01-19), tom222 (29-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    Ok! So I started with 4x “really useful boxes” 35l boxes with standard lids in a DWC setup, I hated it. Simply hated it.

So I bought another random plastic box that was a very similar in height in my original boxes. I also bought
    6x 25mm tank bulkheads
    5x 13mm tank bulk heads (with connectors at each end)
    4x 13mm in-line valve
    4x 25mm equal tee connector
    5x 13mm equal tee connector
    3m 25mm iceline pipe
    3m 13mm iceline pipe
    7m air hose
    (Pipe length to suit your upset)
    1x four outlet air pump
    1x Maxijet MJ500 waterpump
    4x 6” air stones

Seems like quite the list when I write it all out.

That looks better.

But basically the water pump, pumps water out of the control bucket (clear lid, no plant in it.) and in to the manifold, so basically a 13mm equal tee with one side going to the next bucket and the tee splits to a valve then a bulkhead on a plant pot.
    This way each plant pot has individual control of water flow in to it, this is super important, other wise you’ll get uneven water flow across all buckets, you kinda have to balance the whole thing.
    Much easier than it sounds.

You can see the control valve to the bucket here.

Then each plant pot has one return 25mm at the bottom and the control pot has 2x 25mm bulkheads for the return flow.

Similar lay out to the smaller pipe work using equal tee connectors.

Hope that makes a bit of sense

That’s the water feed coming out of the top, then the returns coming out of the bottom. The whole thing is such low current I’m not so worried about roots in pipe work, but it does takes a while to circulate the system when mixing nutes and taking ph and EC readings.

Then drill holes at the top of each flower pot, run your airline attach your stones and pump and your off!

The nicest part of designing my own is that I use the same net pots, so once they are ready for the flower room I can just lift the pots, roots and all and drop them in there final home easily!

Also best bit of designing your own is playing with it, want bigger pipes, sprays bars and the works, you can!
    Mate thank you so much for taking the time to send me all that info, really appreciate that. Mate this is absolutely epic love your diy system blows my premade bought one out the water. You have spurred me on to making my own diy vegging system. Just a few more things to get and the tent coming and she will be up and running Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	369605

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-01-19), tom222 (29-01-19), TomKing (29-01-19)

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	369606

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-01-19), tom222 (29-01-19), TomKing (29-01-19)