Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Getting back into growing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Heat and moisture leaves via the extraction. Lights are my main source of heat... I'm having to grow with lights on constantly else my temps go too low. Leds are pretty low in heat when compared to hps.

I've got my fan and filter in a box connected to a wall with a vent from the box, thru the wall to outside.
    Okay so wait, I don't really have the luxury of connecting my filter box to a wall to a vent allowing it to go outside. I' guess what I'm wondering is how obvious would the heat signature be from the heat escaping from the duct coming LED lights? This is my biggest concern now because I'm not entirely sure how to get the heat out of my house without it looking a bit unusual. Luckily I am the last house on the road, but on the the other side of my house is allotments.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks

Also, with regards to pulling cold air in from the bottom, do I need another fan to do that? I understand I need an extractor fan at the top pulling the hot air out because it's heavier, and that cold (ideally fresh) air needs to enter from the bottom. How is this best achieved?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

I use the negative pressure that's created from the extraction to pull in air passively. If I was in a big tent with hot lights I might consider a fan to pull in outside air, but I think in small tents the passive route seems pretty common.
    Not sure about heat signature as I've never worried about it... Mine exits the building low and faces a wall. I've heard of people extracting through ponds and water fountains but I wouldn't know where to start

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RadGrower View Post
    Also, with regards to pulling cold air in from the bottom, do I need another fan to do that? I understand I need an extractor fan at the top pulling the hot air out because it's heavier, and that cold (ideally fresh) air needs to enter from the bottom. How is this best achieved?
    I pull air from outside through a ventilation brick but then vent in to the house, keeps the heating bills lower in winter, but the humidity pouring in to the house can be a problem. Well I have a decent dehumidifier running, so I don’t have to worry.

But dumping the hot air in to the house avoids any worry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    I pull air from outside through a ventilation brick but then vent in to the house, keeps the heating bills lower in winter, but the humidity pouring in to the house can be a problem. Well I have a decent dehumidifier running, so I don’t have to worry.

But dumping the hot air in to the house avoids any worry.
    Sounds smart... Dehumidifier would work out cheaper with the heating saved... You've given me food for thought lol... My cabin gets freezing without heating on a timer

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19), TomKing (12-02-19)

Thanks

I assume when you say passive you mean by virtue of the fact that hot air is being pulled out from the top, cold air is being pulled in from the bottom?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks

Exactly that mate

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks

Sweet. But then doesn't that expose light coming out from the bottom of the tent?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks

Most tents have windows with Velcro covers. I just manipulated mine to be stuck tight at the top and sides,but I'd manipulate the bottom to stay open to suck air in. Are you growing autos or regulars? If it's not autos then I'll bow out and say use the fan as light leaks are a nightmare I imagine. Heard even the tiny light on a heater or dehumidifier can screw things up. My place suffers a lot of power outages so I stick to autos. Plus my space would need a lot of heating with 12 hours lights out during flowering.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Most tents have windows with Velcro covers. I just manipulated mine to be stuck tight at the top and sides,but I'd manipulate the bottom to stay open to suck air in. Are you growing autos or regulars? If it's not autos then I'll bow out and say use the fan as light leaks are a nightmare I imagine. Heard even the tiny light on a heater or dehumidifier can screw things up. My place suffers a lot of power outages so I stick to autos. Plus my space would need a lot of heating with 12 hours lights out during flowering.

Gotch'ya! I think we had a bit of a misunderstanding though because I i was referring to late escaping the tent (thus making it look a bit suspicious to any sneaky eyes lol) - luckily I'm growing autos too! I think I'm starting to form a picture in my head. Slowly collecting the bits and pieces required to get this show on the road

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-19)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4