Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into growing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    Dont forget all your bits,

A cheap hydrometer
    a decent PH & EC pen
    Timers

I never used to think about them, and buy cheapo ones, the best thing I ever did was pick up decent meters.
    See these are things I totally ignored with my first grow all those years ago and I got away with it, but I feel like doing it right this time so indeed these are things I need to look into,

What is the purpose of the hydrometer and how do I use it?
    Same question about the PH & EC pen?
    I can assume what the time is used for although since I'm going autoflower I'm just gonna do 24h.

Cheers

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

AND (07-02-19), G' (07-02-19), GEORGE (07-02-19), MonsterEnergy (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

No need for timers then. Haha.

Hydrometer measures room temp and humidify, you want a min/max one, that saves the maximum and minimum temp and humidity.
    It means you can keep an eye on the environment.

The pens are used to check feed strength and PH and more.
    This is important because it means not only do you know what your giving the plants, but guys on here will be able to help more because they will be able to use these readings to know what your doing.

The hydrometer is a few quid on flea bay. I’d say the minimum level of EC and PH pens would be the essentials pens at about £40 each. But best is the bluelab stuff but it’s more expensive.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

AND (07-02-19), G' (07-02-19), GEORGE (07-02-19), MonsterEnergy (07-02-19), RadGrower (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RadGrower View Post
    See these are things I totally ignored with my first grow all those years ago and I got away with it, but I feel like doing it right this time so indeed these are things I need to look into,

What is the purpose of the hydrometer and how do I use it?
    Same question about the PH & EC pen?
    I can assume what the time is used for although since I'm going autoflower I'm just gonna do 24h.

Cheers
    I don't think you mentioned what medium your gonna be growing in Rad brother if it's coco you will need all the kit T K suggests but if it's soil you won't need the PH / EC pen, good luck mukka look forward to seeing you up and running, all the best, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

AND (07-02-19), GEORGE (07-02-19), MonsterEnergy (07-02-19), RadGrower (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    I don't think you mentioned what medium your gonna be growing in Rad brother if it's coco you will need all the kit T K suggests but if it's soil you won't need the PH / EC pen, good luck mukka look forward to seeing you up and running, all the best, G'.
    I was about to say the same

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

G' (07-02-19), GEORGE (08-02-19), MonsterEnergy (07-02-19), RadGrower (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    I only grown veggies in soil, and admittedly don’t EC until I’m flushing and checking if it’s flushed properly.

So do you soil guys just chuck it all in? Do you just go feedcharts?

I’d still recommend the hydro meter, but that is waaaay cheaper than the EC & PH pens!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-02-19), MonsterEnergy (09-02-19), RadGrower (07-02-19)

Thanks

Hey guys,

First of all thanks for the continued support and advise! I'd be so lost right now.

So, sorry if this is a stupid question, what is coco? Last time around I did it with soil and was thinking of sticking to that since it's pretty standard and something I'm somewhat familiar with; however, at the time I bought the entire kit from my local headshop so I didn't really have to think about anything since everything I needed was included (to a certain extent). With regards to that though I'm not sure what soil I should be going for with an autoflower. I want to keep things organic and I spoke to some headshop in the Netherlands today whom told me to get some bat mix soil and a few other suggestions, which like an idiot I didn't note. So yeah any recommendations are welcome with regards to growing medium, but please keep in mind I don't want things to get too complicated as I'm just getting back into it

Nice one lads!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-02-19), MonsterEnergy (09-02-19), TomKing (08-02-19), WF420 (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RadGrower View Post
    Hey guys,

First of all thanks for the continued support and advise! I'd be so lost right now.

So, sorry if this is a stupid question, what is coco? Last time around I did it with soil and was thinking of sticking to that since it's pretty standard and something I'm somewhat familiar with; however, at the time I bought the entire kit from my local headshop so I didn't really have to think about anything since everything I needed was included (to a certain extent). With regards to that though I'm not sure what soil I should be going for with an autoflower. I want to keep things organic and I spoke to some headshop in the Netherlands today whom told me to get some bat mix soil and a few other suggestions, which like an idiot I didn't note. So yeah any recommendations are welcome with regards to growing medium, but please keep in mind I don't want things to get too complicated as I'm just getting back into it

Nice one lads!
    Coco is an inert medium made from the fibres of coconut shells. If you want to grow organically, it isnt for you.

Bat mix would be too hot for a seedling so a lot of people use layers of light mix, all mix then batmix so the plants dont burn as theyre growing. Keep a wet/dry cycle in soil to prevent any nasties growing in the medium

What other equipment you using mate? And what strain you thinking?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-02-19), MonsterEnergy (09-02-19), TomKing (08-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    Coco is an inert medium made from the fibres of coconut shells. If you want to grow organically, it isnt for you.

Bat mix would be too hot for a seedling so a lot of people use layers of light mix, all mix then batmix so the plants dont burn as theyre growing. Keep a wet/dry cycle in soil to prevent any nasties growing in the medium

What other equipment you using mate? And what strain you thinking?
    I was actually gifted a QueenSeeds autofem starter kit which includes some soil cubes to germinate to the seeds. Am i still affected by temperature of the bat mix; since I'm not actually germinating the seeds in the bat mix?

I haven't got much yet due to the fact that I've mostly been collecting information to make sure I'm doing things right. Strain wise, beyond the three White Widow seeds that come with the starter kit, I'm still torn. I'm looking at some high CBD strains such as Barney's Farm Lemon Potion, but having previously grown Chocolope I'm also looking at Chocodope by Victory Seeds and Choco Kush by Amsterdam Genetics. All of these are autos of course

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-02-19), MonsterEnergy (09-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

I just ordered a cbd seed from RQS. They've got 2 or 3 autos high in cbd (fast eddys and stress killer). Bit weak on thc at 10 or 11%. Or if you wanted near 0 the dinafem do one.
    Barneys also have a cbd section but the websites a pain on my phone so gave up looking at em

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I just ordered a cbd seed from RQS. They've got 2 or 3 autos high in cbd (fast eddys and stress killer). Bit weak on thc at 10 or 11%. Or if you wanted near 0 the dinafem do one.
    Barneys also have a cbd section but the websites a pain on my phone so gave up looking at em

Yeah I saw those two strains one QueenSeeds but I'm leaning towards the Lemon Potion which is on Barney's farm. I'll have to follow your grow when you get it going to get an idea of what it's like.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadGrower For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast