Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Fan speed controller advice

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Fan speed controller advice

    Hello, i currently need to control the speed of my fan and was looking at the WAC1 as middle ground between quality and price. However looking on ebay i have found this. It wont let me post a link or image but it is item number 302461262997

    Is this any good? Will it hum? I want to be able to sleep at night. The fan is a small 100mm fan for a small tent, however i will be looking to upgrade to something better once i know i can control speed and noise.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewToAllThis For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (09-02-19)

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,479
    Thanks
    39,956
    Thanked 41,873 Times in 12,708 Posts

    Default

    In north america ? I buy Grozone controls very well priced 115$CAD for day night variable fan speed controller photocell

    UK theres a bunch . Smscom and a few others

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (09-02-19)

  5. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 537 Times in 208 Posts

    Default

    Mate

    Variac I’ve 3 and they’re super low noise and you get good control.

    Don’t go cheap, buy cheap buy twice with these things

    Happy growing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

    Cont3mpt (10-02-19), G' (15-02-19), gardro (08-02-19), hotshot (09-02-19), Sadface (10-02-19), UpT0wn (08-02-19)

  7. #4

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanks
    6,924
    Thanked 6,596 Times in 1,504 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WWBB View Post
    Mate

    Variac I’ve 3 and they’re super low noise and you get good control.

    Don’t go cheap, buy cheap buy twice with these things

    Happy growing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wise words. Ive bought two cheap fan controllers which are useless. Ill be buying variac next time. 3 times for me lol
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

    http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (09-02-19), WWBB (08-02-19)

  9. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Done a bit of searching for Variac speed controllers and from what i can see they are only made by Fantronix? This is where i get confused. They have a variac STL 3amp for £39 and a variac STR 1.5amp for £70.

    They are both variacs. Would the Cheaper variac do the job and have no hum?

    Thanks again

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewToAllThis For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (10-02-19)

  11. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 537 Times in 208 Posts

    Default

    Mate

    When I brought mine I did some research and the cheaper one will still humm so go for the more expensive one

    Happy growing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (11-02-19)

  13. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    453
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 440 Posts

    Default

    Can I just ask, what exactly is the problem people have with cheap fan controllers? I literally bought the cheapest thing I could find on ebay and have never had a problem with it and works really well,no issues for 6 months or so.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (11-02-19)

  15. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    In a haze
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 450 Times in 202 Posts

    Default

    100% buy cheap buy twice I paid 130£ for an smscom twin on my first grow ditched it after two weeks as built bud Lightyear’s Variac controller. Best thing I ever done, along with copying his fan in the box I’m pretty much silent bar air movement noise inside the room the tents in

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigDub For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (11-02-19), Kurdt (10-02-19), WWBB (13-02-19)

  17. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    In a haze
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 450 Times in 202 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
    Can I just ask, what exactly is the problem people have with cheap fan controllers? I literally bought the cheapest thing I could find on ebay and have never had a problem with it and works really well,no issues for 6 months or so.
    Some of them make the fan hum quite loud, so much so there was less noise having mine at full power than on low with such an annoying sound

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigDub For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (11-02-19), Kurdt (10-02-19), UpT0wn (11-02-19), WWBB (13-02-19)

  19. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,479
    Thanks
    39,956
    Thanked 41,873 Times in 12,708 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WWBB View Post
    Mate

    Variac I’ve 3 and they’re super low noise and you get good control.

    Don’t go cheap, buy cheap buy twice with these things

    Happy growing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grozone is by no means Cheap my friend .
    Made in Canada not China .

    They have mutliple sizes of controls . But not different quality if ya know what i mean .

    I got the tV-1 Temp. variable fan speed photocell controller . Tip top quality and very accurate .

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (13-02-19), Master Kief (13-02-19), tom222 (13-02-19), WWBB (13-02-19)

  21. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Yep, only variac seem to slow the fan rather then pulse, from all the stuff I have read. The pulsing is what causes the hum with the non variac type. The pulsing is just turning the fan on and off very quickly.


    Sent from my SM-T285 using Tapatalk

  22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to D1zzy For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), gardro (13-02-19), hotshot (14-02-19), Master Kief (13-02-19), tom222 (13-02-19), UpT0wn (13-02-19)

  23. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 538 Times in 173 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    100% buy cheap buy twice I paid 130£ for an smscom twin on my first grow ditched it after two weeks as built bud Lightyear’s Variac controller. Best thing I ever done, along with copying his fan in the box I’m pretty much silent bar air movement noise inside the room the tents in
    What was wrong with sms twin mate ?

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bin man For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (14-02-19), Master Kief (13-02-19)

  25. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    In a haze
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 450 Times in 202 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bin man View Post
    What was wrong with sms twin mate ?
    It just made my RVK make the most annoying humming noise mate , now all I hear is air movement with a Variac

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigDub For This Useful Post:

    Bin man (14-02-19), G' (15-02-19), hotshot (14-02-19)

  27. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewToAllThis View Post
    Done a bit of searching for Variac speed controllers and from what i can see they are only made by Fantronix? This is where i get confused. They have a variac STL 3amp for £39 and a variac STR 1.5amp for £70.

    They are both variacs. Would the Cheaper variac do the job and have no hum?

    Thanks again

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hi all just an update. I purchased the str 1.5a variac from fantronix. I agree with the buy cheap pay twice as i purchased an all in one tent kit and realise now that the fan is not strong enough and needs an upgrade hence the need for the speed controller. My first impressions were, "this thing is huge, where is this going to go" and "its pretty weighty". Wiring it up was pretty straight forward. You need to know how to wire a plug and plug socket in order to wire this.

    Is it effective, yes it is. At night i can turn it to 1 and sleep. The loudest items in the tent are now the led light fan and regular fan. I've already purchased a new led fan and will fit in due course.

    Thanks again.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewToAllThis For This Useful Post:

    G' (15-02-19), hotshot (14-02-19), UpT0wn (14-02-19)

  29. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 537 Times in 208 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewToAllThis View Post
    Hi all just an update. I purchased the str 1.5a variac from fantronix. I agree with the buy cheap pay twice as i purchased an all in one tent kit and realise now that the fan is not strong enough and needs an upgrade hence the need for the speed controller. My first impressions were, "this thing is huge, where is this going to go" and "its pretty weighty". Wiring it up was pretty straight forward. You need to know how to wire a plug and plug socket in order to wire this.

    Is it effective, yes it is. At night i can turn it to 1 and sleep. The loudest items in the tent are now the led light fan and regular fan. I've already purchased a new led fan and will fit in due course.

    Thanks again.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Mate

    Nice one you made the right choice you’ll never look back the control is everything when it comes to fans

    Your on your way


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

    BigDub (14-02-19), G' (15-02-19), hotshot (14-02-19), UpT0wn (14-02-19)

  31. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3,461
    Thanks
    21,946
    Thanked 10,430 Times in 2,965 Posts

    Default

    This fan controller thing has always puzzled me i bought a cheap plug in type for my 8" hurricane 1,000 m3/h and one or two of the guys here on the talk said don't use that it will blow your fan and i'm not sure if it was in the specs or if i contacted the supplier and they said this fan should not be dimmed !!!! so i am lost at this topic, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

    Latest diary's 4 X Zkittlez photo's

    G's fruity auto run

    http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...eriod-Zkittlez

    http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070917187

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

    Trex (15-02-19)

  33. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,479
    Thanks
    39,956
    Thanked 41,873 Times in 12,708 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    This fan controller thing has always puzzled me i bought a cheap plug in type for my 8" hurricane 1,000 m3/h and one or two of the guys here on the talk said don't use that it will blow your fan and i'm not sure if it was in the specs or if i contacted the supplier and they said this fan should not be dimmed !!!! so i am lost at this topic, G'.
    If you cant dim your blower G . You can install a damper to lower air flow .

    Easy peasy buddy . All a damper is .is a piece of plate that restricts airflow i side your pipe .

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

    G' (17-02-19)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quebec Cannabis Seeds

Bonza Seeds - Over 2000 Strains!     |     bongs - herbtools     |     25% off Cannabis Seeds at Dr Chronic     |     buy a bong from Herb Tools     |     GYO Seedbank     |     Buy Cannabis Seeds     |     www.alibongocannabisseeds.co.uk

THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK