Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much of mouldy cola to keep or throw?

GreenBalls Guest

Default How much of mouldy cola to keep or throw?

Hi folks,

Been trimming and jarring a plant, just noticed that 2 or 3 larger colas have fluffy white mould, where I break into the center.

I've seen threads saying chuck the buds (I'll definitely chuck the fluffy bits).
    I've seen some where people are saying to cut around the mould, and then different opinions of which parts to chuck/keep/turn to hash.

I'd like to know what guys round here would do, how much of the cola you'd keep, and how close to the mould you'd cut.

Would you cut close to the fluffy stuff and keep the rest?
    Chuck/hash the whole cola?
    Hash the whole cola, mould and all?

Quick answers appreciated so far I'm just leaving the mouldy colas out on the side , to dry seperately over night.

Thanks!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-19), G' (14-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19), Silkadin (14-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Personally I cut about 5cm below where I find rot.

If it's mature enough I might dissect it a bit and save a few smokes worth as I usually cut more than needed to avoid spreading the spores.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-19), G' (14-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Super fast reply thanks bud,
    So for example, with this bit of bud, would you throw the whole thing away, or cut around the white stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	369950

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    Super fast reply thanks bud,
    So for example, with this bit of bud, would you throw the whole thing away, or cut around the white stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	369950
    The rot starts inside at the stem I believe. I've always caught mine early before it's made it as far as the outside of the bud. I spotted a random dying leaf, pryed the bud apart a bit and spotted it. I imagine if you see it on the outside then it'll me a mess inside so I'd throw that far away.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And sorry to hear you got it too. I've had it 2 for 2 times now. First grow I was gutted, now I kinda adjust my expectations lol. As long as it doesn't hit too early I'm ok... Ish.

Make sure you clean everything between grows. Tent, fans, pots, everything.
    I've heard it's a serious pain in the ass to eliminate all the spores left. I'd suggest a product but clearly I need to research it again myself lol

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Bag that muther fucka up and bin it brother and as Silk says you got some cleaning to do mukka, all the best man, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19), ggotch (15-02-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Thanks very much,
    Just to clarify, the buds didn't rot during grow, but rather they developed that mould at the very last stages of hang-drying, due to the ridiculous humidity around here this season.

Are you still saying I need to sterilise the cupboard it was hanging in, and any surfaces the bud has touched since?
    Wouldn't that mean the other 95% of the bud I harvested contains the spores?

If so... back to the original question I guess... how much surrounding bud is ok to smoke?

Cheers

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19)

GreenBalls Guest

So I don't want to be annoying and repeat myself, and I definitely don't want to try and contradict you awesome and experienced growers (just a case of me not understanding really),
    But I'm left none the wiser!
    In the last few replies It was suggested I could dissect around the mouldy buds, and also that I should throw the buds away and sterilize the entire room....
    Obviously these are two opposite ideas, and so as per my original post, I'd like some advice on how much of the surrounding buds (surrounding bud and then the other colas sharing the space, etc) can be kept /chucked?

Cheers...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,142 Times

I got a bit of rot in my first grow just chopped bout an inch an half below the rot, made sure it looked healthy below then just smoked it , gave the groom a clean before next grow

From the groom

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

G' (15-02-19), gardro (14-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Im like Easy, if they are mouldy, move a couple of nodes down on the cola and chop. The other colas are fine and will not rot if your drying / curing process is fine.

Mould is literally everywhere just make sure it doesnt establish

Current diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-Sun-Led-Kit

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19), MonsterEnergy (14-02-19), WhIpLaSh (15-02-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast