Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: second hand ph meter

GreenBalls Guest

Default second hand ph meter

Hi folks,
    I bought a second hand Bluelab PH meter (the guy claims it hasn't been used, but let's assume he could be lying).

Saved me bout 25% of the cost of a new one which admittedly isn't much (but it's good if the meter is in perfect nick).

I know that for long term, the meters should be stored in liquid and not be allowed to dry out.

When it arrives, how would I know whether it has been stored incorrectly or dried out or whatever?
    If I pH test it / callibrate it, and it's fine, then does that mean all is ok and I can forget about it?

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

I've never kept my PH meter in liquid as the instructions didn't tell me too
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19), ggotch (21-02-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Ah ok,
    So if it works on arrival, you'd just assume it's all good?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    Ah ok,
    I know sod all about the gubbings of the thing so, if it worked, I'd be happy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

Blue lab should be self calibrating, but if buy some EC calibration fluid just incase.
    Can’t hurt to check it out

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

GreenBalls Guest

Cheers lads.

Quote Originally Posted by TomKing View Post
    Blue lab should be self calibrating, but if buy some EC calibration fluid just incase.
    Can’t hurt to check it out
    Nice one, I'm on about the Bluelab pen-style pH meter mate, it can be calibrated, first thing I'll do when I get it is stick it in the pH calibration fluid and make sure it's OK! Just wanted to make sure there isn't a potential major fault if it's not accurate on arrival

Peace

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks

Ah ok,
    I've just given up with pH pens! I'm trying to learn on a budget and cheap pH pens and all the stuff that is needed. I'm glad to know that I have an idea of what half of a pH required. It's peace of mind for now. I'm using a better pH fluid for growing with full range of half or point 5 incraments. Looking back at the difference it's probably cost me a matured and fuller harvest that did feed more than not & didn't want a fkn sex change.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to doco For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

First of all mate youve made a good choice in getting a bluelab. They really are worth the extra cost. I could go on forever as to why but they are double juction so less chance of contamination.

The bad news is that you should never go for second hand ph meters. You can get away with buying a second hanf ec meter though as its just two pieces of wire measuring resistance.

The reason you should buy a new ph meter is the Thin glass over time weares out and no longer provides a good referance(This is unseen). Most ph meters depending on glass quility should be replaced every 12 - 24 months if you want accuracy. This does however depend on proper care. And also contamination. Also as youve said you also dont know the conditions its been kept in. An your right about not letting the bulb dry out.

Deffo take care of your ph meter man, iv gone through countless amounts of them. Ph storage solution and buffer 4 and 7 are essentials to have. Always rince the probe after use. This is to prevent salt buildup on the probes,

Theres little sponge inside the bluelab cap that should be moist with ph storage solution(A pipette helps). It doesnt have to be all the time though aslong as your using it daily it will keep the probe wet. Every few months (idealy 1 month) you want to give it a 24+ hr soak in ph storage solution also do this When you first get a ph meter. Then go onto calibrating the meter with your solutions. It will last much longer this way.

In regards to your purchace decision id personally cancell the order or send it back for a refund and buy a new one.

Give us a shout if you need any more help

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Benjiman (26-01-20), GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

Cheers lads.

Nice one, I'm on about the Bluelab pen-style pH meter mate, it can be calibrated, first thing I'll do when I get it is stick it in the pH calibration fluid and make sure it's OK! Just wanted to make sure there isn't a potential major fault if it's not accurate on arrival

Peace
    When you calibrate it ..have the fluid the same temperature you intend your feed to be at

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

I have had a bad week, everything I touch either breaks or f~cks up plus I'm skint beyond belief. Last night I dropped and smashed the glass sensor on my Apera PH20 so sick as feck. Just ordered another one for 52 fecking quid from Amazon (credit card). After using the Apera for over a year I would still have bought another at twice the price. I've tried Essentials and a few others but the Apera PH20 is in a different class.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

20. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast