Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wrinkled twisty leaves

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ntondola View Post
    Pro mix has almost no nutrients from my understanding though. And we mixed in work castings but only 5% by weight.
    My apologies. I was confusing soil brands. Pro mix is a peat based soiless growing medium. I failed when I tried it. Many do very well with it. I have always wanted to try again treating it like coco.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-19)

Thanks

"Feed pro mix at 5.5 to 6 PH" ... this is were I failes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    "Feed pro mix at 5.5 to 6 PH" ... this is were I failes
    Ahhh so my pH needs to be in line with hydro when using a soil less mix? And is it possible for a salt problem to cause this? I just ordered an RO and carbon filter today so I know exactly what I'm working with for water.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ntondola For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (01-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ntondola View Post
    Ahhh so my pH needs to be in line with hydro when using a soil less mix? And is it possible for a salt problem to cause this? I just ordered an RO and carbon filter today so I know exactly what I'm working with for water.
    Peat based soiless is similar to hydro but not exactly the same. Just like coco is not the same as water but all considered hydro. I have never successfully grown in peat. My only attempt was the exact same pro mix.

Google told me that 5.5 to 6 was the range for pro mix.

My guess is feed like soil... when it's dry... using salt based nutes like you have feed with significant runoff to wash off old salts. Every 3 or four or 5 feeds i would give plain RO with runoff.

Remeber that RO is inert and should not be considered plain water. It is great for a salt flush. On it's own it leaches since it has 0ppm.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-19), Ntondola (01-04-19)

Thanks

So you're suggesting I feed with nutes like I have been every watering and only use RO to flush periodically? I'm using fabric pots so I'm worried about drowning them without drain holes if I give them a significant amount of water. The water wont have anywhere to drain as they are tightly packed in their space on a table with a tarp and 2x4 frame.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ntondola For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-19)

Thanks

The RO water is great as long as you add cal mag and grow or bloom. Plus occasionally on it's own to wash the salts.

Are you adjusting PH of the feed to 5.5-6?
    Your plain water is too high so plain water feed I would add a few drops of grow and drop it to 6.

Having a salt based feeding setup without a way to remove runoff is not something I know how to do. The salt buildup ruins the PH over time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-19)

Thanks

I have been adding cal mag along with bloom on my tap water which comes out at 8.4. Maybe that is the issue as cal mag is better used with RO water. I'm about to move these ladies to the floor and a simple 2x4 frame and chicken wire should do well to allow runoff

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ntondola For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2