Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fire Safety - UK Specific

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    I am sorry guys, but there is a little more to the story that I don't want to mention on an open forum.

Frankly, I would rather have a super door that exceeds British Standards, than a el-cheapo that barely meets it. So if I have to contribute, or at least some of it, so be it. But seems like everyone is out screwing everyone else over!
    It would be really bad if you bought them a new door for their profit making building and then they kicked you down the line. Do not pay imho, its borderline extortion

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), Kurdt (04-04-19), Trex (24-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I am sorry guys, but there is a little more to the story that I don't want to mention on an open forum.

Frankly, I would rather have a super door that exceeds British Standards, than a el-cheapo that barely meets it. So if I have to contribute, or at least some of it, so be it. But seems like everyone is out screwing everyone else over!
    I think I'm with you?

So, whilst the landlord would change the door, you would like a higher standard door & are prepared to pay the extra?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), gardro (04-04-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), Trex (24-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    It would be really bad if you bought them a new door for their profit making building and then they kicked you down the line. Do not pay imho, its borderline extortion
    Like I said, it's complicated like some Sherlock Holmes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I think I'm with you?

So, whilst the landlord would change the door, you would like a higher standard door & are prepared to pay the extra?
    Yeah.

The door now is rock solid, but not modern like you see in new buildings. The fire strips are chemical based so I agree that they could be replaced, and the brush at the bottom too is definitely over 2mm, so a bit borderline.

But whether that is economically viable is another story. The locks were nearly 400 quid so I am not giving those up without a fight.

It's getting an old door fire certified that is the crux of it.

Plus we are in flats so that is the other issue, communal corridors etc.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), gardro (04-04-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), M_C (04-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Find you A new landlord with already door install. JMO Seems it would be cheaper to move.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), gardro (04-04-19), Kurdt (04-04-19), Trex (24-05-19), Valentina (04-04-19)

Thanks

Like I said, it's complicated like some Sherlock Holmes stuff.

Yeah.

The door now is rock solid, but not modern like you see in new buildings. The fire strips are chemical based so I agree that they could be replaced, and the brush at the bottom too is definitely over 2mm, so a bit borderline.

But whether that is economically viable is another story. The locks were nearly 400 quid so I am not giving those up without a fight.

It's getting an old door fire certified that is the crux of it.

Plus we are in flats so that is the other issue, communal corridors etc.
    Any new door would have to meet FD30S

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), M_C (04-04-19), Valentina (04-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Find you A new landlord with already door install. JMO Seems it would be cheaper to move.
    Can't say that has not crossed my mind. Just as well that the week end is coming up and we'll do a clear out. Move or stay it'll be good to have a little shuffle.

Hotshot, I have moved TOO MANY times in my life, from parents' divorce when I was a kid and everything that came with that. On one hand I am used to moves, on the other finally this is a place called Home, not just a roof over my head.

But living on this street has been one Drama after another.

Once I shut the door behind me, I am home and it's our little domain. There have been times when I have considered moving, MANY times, in fact, but I still like the city I am in, costs and pollution and all. I do however think that The Day will come though.

Any new door would have to meet FD30S
    Thanks Gardro. Yeah, but I am not forking out some 700 quid for an ugly door that scrapes pass the standards, and throwing out a perfectly good door AND the side studs and locks that I had put on, just because it does not have the right stickers.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), gardro (04-04-19), GEORGE (04-04-19)

Thanks

Can't say that has not crossed my mind. Just as well that the week end is coming up and we'll do a clear out. Move or stay it'll be good to have a little shuffle.

Hotshot, I have moved TOO MANY times in my life, from parents' divorce when I was a kid and everything that came with that. On one hand I am used to moves, on the other finally this is a place called Home, not just a roof over my head.

But living on this street has been one Drama after another.

Once I shut the door behind me, I am home and it's our little domain. There have been times when I have considered moving, MANY times, in fact, but I still like the city I am in, costs and pollution and all. I do however think that The Day will come though.

Thanks Gardro. Yeah, but I am not forking out some 700 quid for an ugly door that scrapes pass the standards, and throwing out a perfectly good door AND the side studs and locks that I had put on, just because it does not have the right stickers.
    £700 is a snip compared to what my front door cost

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), Valentina (04-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    £700 is a snip compared to what my front door cost
    Me too. Im very para nowadays, call me compartmentalised.

https://youtu.be/StSlHdvRMv4

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), M_C (04-04-19), Valentina (04-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

I did wonder why a fire door was being installed in a front door situation but then you mentioned flats

Approved Document B2 2006 says this about front doors in flats

Each flat needs a front door which is a fire door (FD30S) with smoke seals and intumescent strips, together with a self closer which should not be able to be disengaged

As long as your current door complies with this...you are good to go. Strips and seals can be replaced easily. As above mentioned, if you are having doubts, get in touch with LHA

£700 is cheap though, what kind of door is it ?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

G' (25-05-19), GEORGE (04-04-19), M_C (04-04-19)

Thanks

Me too. Im very para nowadays, call me compartmentalised.

https://youtu.be/StSlHdvRMv4
    Don't fall for that, they are attacking one of the strongest points on the door

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AND (04-04-19), G' (25-05-19), gardro (04-04-19), GEORGE (04-04-19)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast