Thread: Counterbalance licenses....

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Default Counterbalance licenses....

After a lot of looking about today I'm more confused than ever about this...

You can have in house licenses & RTITB licences. Are they interchangeable as in if I ask for someone with a fork lift license, is an in house license acceptable (trying to keep the insurers happy!)

...and why can't google just give the above question a yes/no answer
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-19), Easy-T (10-04-19), GEORGE (10-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,134 Times

Yeah got told when I got my certificate, can use it anywhere just a competence certificate really

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-19), GEORGE (10-04-19), M_C (10-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    After a lot of looking about today I'm more confused than ever about this...

You can have in house licenses & RTITB licences. Are they interchangeable as in if I ask for someone with a fork lift license, is an in house license acceptable (trying to keep the insurers happy!)

...and why can't google just give the above question a yes/no answer
    Generally this depends on where the testing was done. My tele handlers license was a in-house certificate and only for use at the testing place, meaning my place of work . The license turned out useless as I work on site but tested in our yard . Had to sit the test again in a nationally recognised testing area . My license then was covering my nationwide.
    Renewing my licenses for all the different equipment we use is expensive and atm I'm doing escape and descent certificates .

in a green and pleasant land

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-04-19), M_C (10-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-T View Post
    Yeah got told when I got my certificate, can use it anywhere just a competence certificate really

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    Generally this depends on where the testing was done. My tele handlers license was a in-house certificate and only for use at the testing place, meaning my place of work . The license turned out useless as I work on site but tested in our yard . Had to sit the test again in a nationally recognised testing area . My license then was covering my nationwide.
    Renewing my licenses for all the different equipment we use is expensive and atm I'm doing escape and descent certificates .

in a green and pleasant land
    Damn it, getting like google...

Telehandlers I can understand as their are many different types with many different attachments & they aren't all as nimble as a counterbalance. Add to that, they are often used on construction sites that have different rules than yards & warehouses.

But, like East-T says, it's a competency thing as there doesn't actually appear to be a 'counterbalance license' per se

...nope, no further forward lol!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-19), GEORGE (10-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,134 Times

Have a look a seta website might tell you more

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-T View Post
    Have a look a seta website might tell you more

Could you PM me a link please Easy, there are many SETA sites out there

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-19), Easy-T (10-04-19), GEORGE (10-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Ive have no idea what these things are, some sort of forklift? All i can add is bought a used 48v battery bank off one and its lasted me years.

Do the batteries act as a counterbalance ( if powered that way )?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

British green (10-04-19), GEORGE (10-04-19), lipnobody (19-04-19), M_C (10-04-19)

Thanks

Yeah, a counterbalance is what most of us would recognise as a fork lift truck but counterbalance just defines the type of truck you refer to (there are several types of fork lift truck)

I've never driven an electric counterbalance but am aware of batteries for reach trucks & the like... big beefy things they are! & would, most likely, provide sufficient weight for a counterbalance weight

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 59,501 Times

There is no such thing as a forklift license. Only a certificate to say one has received basic training, for the operation of whatever type of forklift.
    Employers can let employees operate the truck with in-house certificates if they wish. But most don't and prefer to go with certificates issued by accredited bodies like RTITB. I'm sure its all due to liability if there is fatal accidents.
    As for refresher courses....there's no legal requirement to sit these either. Its only a recommendation by another mob to get refreshed every 3 years or so.

I recently looked into all this, as my boss tried to get me to pay for a refresher course and use a days holiday to go sit it.
    Once he knew a was clued up on it....he paid for it and I didn't use a days holiday lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RASTA For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-05-19), M_C (25-05-19)