Thread: Coco Growers! How often do you water?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times
    Provided Answers: 23

Default Answered: Coco Growers! How often do you water?

lots of questions I have after this bad grow pmsl..
    So before I fcked up with a drip system... I would only hand feed once every 2-3 days with a coco\perlite mix and during flower maybe every couple of days but not more than that... now I was told by many "experienced" growers that I should treat the coco as if it was hydro and constantly water it and therefore with a drip system i should water twice a day, until i see some runoff.. i did that... and i think it didnt help my plants at all... I actually think it helped the overfeeding stunt them as i was feediing 1.4 ec for more than a week and i had plants getting more than that...

So that's my question to you coco growers how often do you water by hand, to what volume of runoff? and if using a drip system, what do you do then?

thank you all
    love the learning and cant wait for my next run already (next week heehee)

2. "The important thing is not how often you water, but how wet are you keeping the coco. Watering once a day is usually enough, twice a day being plenty

As the coco dries, and the water evaporates, you leave behind salts. If its drying out, you will get EC spikes. This is why you need to water often, and keep the medium damp.

Lower the ec, and follow the run off to find out how much you should feed your plants mate. Water just once a day, at a certain EC say 0.2 over your BG EC, and ph 5.8, for a couple of days. Then on the third day, water the plants, and collect the run off. Measure the EC and ph.

If the EC is higher than what you've been putting in, you're over feeding, so reduce the EC in the next feed.

If its coming out much lower than you are feeding, then raise the EC in the next feed.

Id advise starting 0.2 EC over your background EC, and monitoring how the plants go from there. easier to fix and under fed plant than an over fed one

Read your plants mate, not the instructions on the nutrient bottle

Hope this make sense, if you have any questions let me know.... and also, if you're using an auto feeding system, make sure you're using an airstone in your res"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-04-19), Hippy Crack (28-04-19)

Macky Guest

The important thing is not how often you water, but how wet are you keeping the coco. Watering once a day is usually enough, twice a day being plenty

As the coco dries, and the water evaporates, you leave behind salts. If its drying out, you will get EC spikes. This is why you need to water often, and keep the medium damp.

Lower the ec, and follow the run off to find out how much you should feed your plants mate. Water just once a day, at a certain EC say 0.2 over your BG EC, and ph 5.8, for a couple of days. Then on the third day, water the plants, and collect the run off. Measure the EC and ph.

If the EC is higher than what you've been putting in, you're over feeding, so reduce the EC in the next feed.

If its coming out much lower than you are feeding, then raise the EC in the next feed.

Id advise starting 0.2 EC over your background EC, and monitoring how the plants go from there. easier to fix and under fed plant than an over fed one

Read your plants mate, not the instructions on the nutrient bottle

Hope this make sense, if you have any questions let me know.... and also, if you're using an auto feeding system, make sure you're using an airstone in your res

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-04-19), Hippy Crack (28-04-19), lipnobody (28-04-19), riot (28-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times
    Provided Answers: 5

Start once a day for drip system until you build roots up then Twice a day should be fine on a drip system for an established plant in coco, just follow Mackys advice for the EC and you will nail it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-04-19), riot (28-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,946 Times

^^^^^ what Macky said

It will also depend on the size of the pot and size of the plant and root system.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riot For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-04-19)