Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Temperature fluctuations

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default Answered: Temperature fluctuations

    Morning all,
    I've searched and read, and although found many posts, I'm still a little unsure.

    Basically, I grow in a 1x1x1.6 loft tent. Extraction is via a td silent 250/100 wired to a Variac controller ticking over nicely on #2, humidifier on low. 2 60w cob led lights.
    Day temperature is ok as I can manually turn my Variac up to cope with the warm weather we're having now, but nights are getting down to 20 degrees c which isn't great.

    Seeds germinated in glass of water then paper towel method and were put into their main 16lt pots this morning.

    My heating is from an 800w oil filled radiator which I've manually adjusted to give me 26 degrees, but my question (finally), is am I able to connect the oil radiator up to a temperature controller like the inkbird or even the Eco-technics? Radiator control is a simple dial. No on/off switch as such.
    I want to maintain the 26 degrees at night and not have it dropping down to 20 or below.

    Sorry if this seems long winded or has been asked a hundred times previously.

    Cheers for now

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by .Nixon. View Post
    Morning all,
    I've searched and read, and although found many posts, I'm still a little unsure.

    Basically, I grow in a 1x1x1.6 loft tent. Extraction is via a td silent 250/100 wired to a Variac controller ticking over nicely on #2, humidifier on low. 2 60w cob led lights.
    Day temperature is ok as I can manually turn my Variac up to cope with the warm weather we're having now, but nights are getting down to 20 degrees c which isn't great.

    Seeds germinated in glass of water then paper towel method and were put into their main 16lt pots this morning.

    My heating is from an 800w oil filled radiator which I've manually adjusted to give me 26 degrees, but my question (finally), is am I able to connect the oil radiator up to a temperature controller like the inkbird or even the Eco-technics? Radiator control is a simple dial. No on/off switch as such.
    I want to maintain the 26 degrees at night and not have it dropping down to 20 or below.

    Sorry if this seems long winded or has been asked a hundred times previously.

    Cheers for now

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    i would use a leccy fan heater mate if you want to hook it up to a controller bro, i use the ecotechnics with fan heater, oil rads take to long to warm up an cool down.

    if kicks in when temps drop to what ever setting i set so say 18 degree an it will stay on till my max temp so say 26, then cut off so its kinda boots on and off and not constantly draining your leccy either"


  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (15-05-19), hotshot (15-05-19)

  4. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    20,974
    Thanks
    49,577
    Thanked 62,534 Times in 19,375 Posts
    Provided Answers: 174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .Nixon. View Post
    Morning all,
    I've searched and read, and although found many posts, I'm still a little unsure.

    Basically, I grow in a 1x1x1.6 loft tent. Extraction is via a td silent 250/100 wired to a Variac controller ticking over nicely on #2, humidifier on low. 2 60w cob led lights.
    Day temperature is ok as I can manually turn my Variac up to cope with the warm weather we're having now, but nights are getting down to 20 degrees c which isn't great.

    Seeds germinated in glass of water then paper towel method and were put into their main 16lt pots this morning.

    My heating is from an 800w oil filled radiator which I've manually adjusted to give me 26 degrees, but my question (finally), is am I able to connect the oil radiator up to a temperature controller like the inkbird or even the Eco-technics? Radiator control is a simple dial. No on/off switch as such.
    I want to maintain the 26 degrees at night and not have it dropping down to 20 or below.

    Sorry if this seems long winded or has been asked a hundred times previously.

    Cheers for now

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    i would use a leccy fan heater mate if you want to hook it up to a controller bro, i use the ecotechnics with fan heater, oil rads take to long to warm up an cool down.

    if kicks in when temps drop to what ever setting i set so say 18 degree an it will stay on till my max temp so say 26, then cut off so its kinda boots on and off and not constantly draining your leccy either

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

    .Nixon. (15-05-19), CityDweller (15-05-19), Herbitual (15-05-19), hotshot (15-05-19), M_C (15-05-19)

  6. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    What size/model electric heater would be suitable?
    Would the controller work with the oil rad at all?
    The tent was 33 degrees earlier
    Appreciate the reply

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (15-05-19)

  8. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,755
    Thanks
    5,379
    Thanked 7,856 Times in 2,459 Posts
    Provided Answers: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .Nixon. View Post
    What size/model electric heater would be suitable?
    Would the controller work with the oil rad at all?
    The tent was 33 degrees earlier
    Appreciate the reply

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Im in loft too mate in a 1.2 x 1.2

    Got a 2kw fan heater but only have it set to 1kw at most

    Oil rad would work in controller yeah, it just cuts power to the output once desired temp is reached. Just make sure if the oil rad is thermostatic you have it dialled right up and let the controller do the work

    Highest temps ive seen so far have been 38 went up over 40 last year! Think its time to run some ducting as an intake and route it to one of the bedrooms

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

    .Nixon. (16-05-19), hotshot (15-05-19)

  10. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    20,974
    Thanks
    49,577
    Thanked 62,534 Times in 19,375 Posts
    Provided Answers: 174

    Default

    waste time using oil rad with controller, waste leccy to imo

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (15-05-19)

  12. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Any chance of a link for a suitable electric heater to look at? UK based
    Will order an Eco-technics controller now too.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (15-05-19), WF420 (15-05-19)

  14. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Would something like the ANSIO 2000W Portable Fan Heater on Amazon uk be suitable? It has 1200w and 2000w settings.

    I presume I'd set it on the 1200w on full temperature then let the Eco-technics manage the rest.


    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (15-05-19), WF420 (15-05-19)

  16. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,755
    Thanks
    5,379
    Thanked 7,856 Times in 2,459 Posts
    Provided Answers: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .Nixon. View Post
    Would something like the ANSIO 2000W Portable Fan Heater on Amazon uk be suitable? It has 1200w and 2000w settings.

    I presume I'd set it on the 1200w on full temperature then let the Eco-technics manage the rest.


    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Any will do really mate, mines a cheapo one from b n q, same as pic below

    Cant comment on ecotechnics as i dont have one but plenty people on here too... just abit fiddly to wire if i remember rightly! Ive got a G.A.S enviro controller, theyre about double the price but give you humidity control etc and no wiring also have input and output for ec fans

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

    .Nixon. (15-05-19), hotshot (15-05-19), joker_the_smoker (16-05-19)

  18. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for that. I just ordered that small electric heater, and an Eco-technics controller. Hopefully both here Friday so I can rewire my grow tent and finally get temperatures under control.

    I'll report back once I have it setup

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (15-05-19), WF420 (16-05-19)

  20. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    20,974
    Thanks
    49,577
    Thanked 62,534 Times in 19,375 Posts
    Provided Answers: 174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .Nixon. View Post
    Thanks for that. I just ordered that small electric heater, and an Eco-technics controller. Hopefully both here Friday so I can rewire my grow tent and finally get temperatures under control.

    I'll report back once I have it setup

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    aye mate a cheap one will do i keep my on lowest setting also

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

    .Nixon. (16-05-19), hotshot (16-05-19), WF420 (16-05-19)

  22. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    This was a 14quid job from Argos. Both the heater and Eco-technics have arrived so I'll write it all all once I'm home. Really hoping this combats my temperature issues. Dropped down to 14 degrees over night seeds still haven't popped up after 2 days in the pots

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (16-05-19), WF420 (16-05-19)

  24. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Will 0.75mm be ok for the extraction fan? And 1.5mm be ok for the electric heater?

    Will get some connector blocks tomorrow and wire up.
    Went to do it earlier then realised the cable on the new heater is really short, so going to extend that.

    Temps today topped out at 27 due to me boosting the Variac this morning and opening two passive vents slightly.
    Seeds are very close to breaking soil

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (16-05-19), WF420 (16-05-19)

  26. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,755
    Thanks
    5,379
    Thanked 7,856 Times in 2,459 Posts
    Provided Answers: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .Nixon. View Post
    Will 0.75mm be ok for the extraction fan? And 1.5mm be ok for the electric heater?

    Will get some connector blocks tomorrow and wire up.
    Went to do it earlier then realised the cable on the new heater is really short, so going to extend that.

    Temps today topped out at 27 due to me boosting the Variac this morning and opening two passive vents slightly.
    Seeds are very close to breaking soil

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Cant comment on the wiring sorry mate im no good with that stuff @AND @gardro are good with electrics haha!

    Better for the temps at that mate, mine are at like 31/32

    Wouldnt worry about the seeds mate, theyll move a little slower in the cold soil anyway

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

    .Nixon. (16-05-19), hotshot (16-05-19)

  28. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Well, I went out and bought some 0.75mm and a few 3 pin push connectors. Turned out the cable I used for my fan was plenty long enough to make use of for wiring the Eco-technics.
    So in the end I used 1.5mm for mains and fan cables and extended the electric heater with 1.5mm as well.
    All rigged up and presently maintaining the tent at 26-27 degrees, humidity is hovering around 70%.
    I'll monitor it over night and check what the max and minimum have been.

    I may need to play around with settings to confirm I've set all the limits to the right level.

    Quite an impressive gadget. I thought the Variac was good, but this is a different world altogether. I may add intake at a later date, but for now, passive is working nicely.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .Nixon. For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (17-05-19), WF420 (17-05-19)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Bonza Seeds - Over 2000 Strains!     |     bongs - herbtools     |     25% off Cannabis Seeds at Dr Chronic     |     buy a bong from Herb Tools     |     GYO Seedbank     |     www.alibongocannabisseeds.co.uk

THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK